U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best home city for the National Slavery Museum
Richmond, VA 7 11.11%
Charleston, SC 12 19.05%
Washington D.C. 19 30.16%
New Orleans 7 11.11%
Atlanta 8 12.70%
Dallas 0 0%
NYC 0 0%
Houston 1 1.59%
Birmingham, AL 5 7.94%
Other 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 AM

7,399 posts, read 15,397,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I voted DC. For 2 reasons, I can't imagine anywhere else where a museum would get as much funding and publicity. Second reason, slavery was a huge part of most of America (it was a national/Federal problem), it wasn't entirely centered on any city, historically it effected the whole nation, and should from my perspective be place in DC to represent that. DC already hosts many museums, and to me it just makes sense to put it there. The downside to putting it in DC is it could be over shadowed by other museums, but I find that unlikely. I personally would be less likely to visit the museum in any other city, but DC is a huge tourist city, and I'll visit it many times over my life. My families ancestors had roles we are quite proud of in Bleeding Kansas, and fighting for the Union army in Missouri and Tennessee. I would definitely visit that museum in DC.
After giving it a good deal of thought, my vote is for DC as well.

I'd be open to such a museum being open in a place like Charleston or Richmond. New Orleans would be a good candidate too, especially considering the concentration of public plantations. A neat itinerary would be to visit the slavery museum and then head out to a few of the plantations to see first hand what life looked like on one of those properties for both the slaves and the slave owners.

Still, I chose DC because slavery isn't something that just happened in Richmond, Charleston or New Orleans. It's not even just a Southern thing. Slavery was legal in all 13 colonies at times and there were slave owners in Boston, Philadelphia and New York (42% of New Yorkers owned slaves in 1703). I know slavery is often thought of in terms of the Civil War and a North/South things, but it's a bit of history that's a stain on all of the nation. DC- being the capital of the nation and home to the best collections of museums and memorials in the U.S.- is the best candidate for a museum and memorial (and it should act as both) to one of the darkest aspects of our country's development.

If Richmond, Savannah, Charlston, New Orleans, Boston, Philadelphia, Tucson, Seattle or any other city or town wants to open a museum on slavery or build a memorial, go for it. But I think a National Museum and Monument/Memorial should be built in Washington, D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM

11,833 posts, read 9,909,325 times
^Good points, I agree with DC too. Philadelphia could be interesting as well though-a city right on the Mason-Dixon line that played a big part in early American history. There already is a former underground railroad stop which gives tours in Northwest Philadelphia in addition to the African American Museum which I believe was the first of it's kind in a major city.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:13 AM

20,388 posts, read 20,593,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
All but NYC and Washington did all they could to preserve the institution of slavery.
well, thank goodness for them for setting us straight

Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,194,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's our history nonetheless and has played a huge role in shaping American society.

And there are Holocaust museums out there too.
Just an FYI: America's Black Holocaust Museum was an active spot in Milwaukee until recently, when it went mostly online: America's Black Holocaust Museum | Bringing Our History To Light

Once the founder died, they had trouble keeping the funding going. Beginning in 1984, it had been located here:

Old 09-01-2015, 04:59 PM

819 posts, read 673,493 times
Blacks in Wax in Baltimore is a very interesting museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City