U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM

66 posts, read 52,235 times

Advertisements

Albany.

Its actually older than NYC, Boston and Philadelphia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alba...rhUSNQVEyYM%3A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
He is from Philly...I agree that there is no specific reason why it has to be rowhouses
Exactly.... But guess I will re-awaken the thread.

But see no clear winner was noted with no poll. But don't know what more could be added. All of PA is full of older Row home small cities and towns with good schools and no Gang activity... where so many from the larger cities with children are relocating.... far less move by me for jobs.... in East-central PA from large cities with families. But looking for cheap older Row housing with good schools for their children. Many of these older mostly Row home cities in the Eastern half of PA have plenty to choose from.

TOP URBAN Row home CITIES point to the MAJOR CITIES in the East and exclude the Midwest, South, especially the Southeast and West but for SF...... whose Row homes are in a class by themselves and virtually attached singles. Boston's Change to Triple-Decker's and others have less there but still plenty to include.

But TOP 3 URBAN ROW HOME CITIES.... narrows it down to Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boston, DC. This first 3 are the likely candidates. Because the have Row homes in every economic class of its people. San Francisco's and Boston's and more of DC's %.s being a smaller city proper, would have the most gentrified to Young Urban professionals. Not really average Families.

So may as be a poll between Philly, Pittsburgh and Baltimore...... the cities Schools..... probably get a equally bum rap. Since it shouldn't be merely which city's Row homes you prefer.... but if one city has more yards to homes, to more nearby Parks and Playgrounds.... could be a factor.

Could include NYC because of the Boroughs, much is probably more Duplex-double homes.... which to me are like a variety of a Row home (yes I know technically they are not).

Row homes alone do not make a city most dense. A city with more Apartment buildings even with close knit single neighborhoods. Can be in density just as dense or with many 2-3 flat single homes, even they can hold more families then narrow one family Rows. (NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS A DEBATE ON ROW HOMES ALONE MOST URBAN). Spare me pleeeeze.

JUST SAYING..... thread says ROW HOMES CITIES that excluded detached singles then. Other city's surely can have Row homes.... but not enough to really say that city wins here......

That's my opinion to the thread title not a mock or insinuating any preference..... though we all have one.

Yes notable are other Big cities with some Row Home neighborhoods. But far less in %'s Rows then my probable Top 3 mentioned.....

Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 AM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC is the only U.S. city where families aren't likely to be owning a car. Every other U.S. city has like 70%+ car ownership, and much higher still for non-poor families.

So using your criteria, NYC is the only answer. Using a more general criteria of "which urban locations are best for families if money weren't a factor", maybe NYC, SF, Boston.
D.C. is approaching the 50-59% threshold for people with cars.

The American cities with the most growth in car-free households - Greater Greater Washington

Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM

52,673 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. is approaching the 50-59% threshold for people with cars.

The American cities with the most growth in car-free households - Greater Greater Washington
This may help too: Why Car-Free Cities Aren

Old 11-09-2015, 05:27 PM

539 posts, read 377,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
A suburb can't hit rowhome level density though.
Some college towns fit this description, but that's about it

Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Some college towns fit this description, but that's about it
There are Big city neighborhoods that are HIGH-DENITY. But mostly singles.... or one single family but now Apt's and Condo's. Some nearly attached but still technically classified as unattached homes... not creating a Wall effect.

Example streetview360s

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9148...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9192...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9379...7i13312!8i6656

New infill adds density unattached...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9464...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9499...7i13312!8i6656

its alley and ugly power-lines parking and balconies

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9499...7i13312!8i6656

NOT TO TAKE THE THREAD OFF TOPIC... BUT TO REPLY TO ROW HOMES ALONE... OR ONLY TRUE DENSITY COMMENT. More unattached housing mixed with apt. buildings and multiple family homes can be just as dense .... EVEN DONE AESTHETICALLY MORE PLEASING...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or