Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best borderlands experience
Tijuana (San Diego, CA) 24 53.33%
Nogales (Nogales/Tucson, AZ) 10 22.22%
Juarez (El Paso, TX) 3 6.67%
Nuevo Laredo (Laredo, TX) 1 2.22%
Reynosa-Matamoros (Rio Grande Valley, TX) 4 8.89%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM

672 posts, read 757,439 times

Advertisements

My most interesting experience has been Juarez/El Paso.

First up, the area has an absolutely fascinating history which likely colors the experience. It's the home of a vibrant desert culture. And, frankly, I think El Paso is pretty cool. It's my favourite town in Texas. The desert landscape is a big part of that, as is the city itself, which is and feels old.

But equally important in the overall experience is Juarez, which changes the entire vibe of the area, IMO. Juarez is only a few hundred metres from its sister and it rises up in full visibility. You simply can't ignore it.

I've only actually been over the border once, which was a couple of years back. I was staying in downtown El Paso and walked over the bridge (Santa Fe st, if I recall correctly), then down the street into the center of town. Got lunch, had a drink, did some shopping and came home while the sun was still hot. It was really quite fascinating. (I never felt uncomfortable, but that could just be naivety.)

All I got was a taste, but I really wish the city could be safer. Aside from the obvious benefits for the locals, tourists could spend more time there, especially to experience the nightlife. There's just so much depth and breadth to the culture that suffuses the area. It feels entirely unpasteurised. And after my little walk into Juarez, I must say that sticking to El Paso gives a lop-sided experience.

And with that, I'm going to get political: since Americans are hell-bent on getting high, it'd be nice if the drug trade was nixed by legalization and Juarez given a chance to shake off the damned cartels. But since America is dominated by pearl-clutching fools who like to pretend we can somehow defeat the vice market, think about this next time you rack up a line of white powder: your purchase is contributing to the horror and terror inflicted by criminals in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
They have a reputation of being extraordinarily violent. I have a cousin who is as Texan as it gets, he will not under any circumstance go to Laredo or McAllen. This is an eight generation Texan whole has spent his who life there.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
And that's how fear of Mexico (even Americanized resort areas) was spread.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 PM

415 posts, read 560,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Diego and El Paso are two of the safest large cities in the US.
I've noticed that two of the safest large cities in the US are on the Mexican border, and conversely, two of the most dangerous US cities (Detroit and Buffalo) are on the Canadian border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City