Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestige?
Boston>Seattle>Washington DC 2 2.56%
Boston>Washington DC>Seattle 25 32.05%
Seattle>Boston>Washington DC 0 0%
Seattle>Washington DC>Boston 3 3.85%
Washington DC>Boston>Seattle 42 53.85%
Washington DC>Seattle>Boston 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

I suppose this question depends on what criteria you're looking at to define prestige. I work in the legal field; ergo, a lot of the "prestigious" legal jobs are in D.C. If someone has a career as an academic, then the universities based around Boston are as prestigious as they come.

If we're talking about a city that the average layman would go, "Oooh, you live THERE? How fancy!" I think that would be a toss up between D.C and Boston.

Seattle is a city that is seeing enormous economic growth and once it builds a bunch more high-end condo towers, it might eventually become a city that "impresses" people by its prestige. But nationally, I just feel few people would call Seattle "fancy" just yet. Give it a few more years of news tabloids telling everyone how "expensive" Seattle is or how Seattle is a city for the rich that out-prices the lower classes... Maybe when that happens we could reopen this discussion with Seattle in the picture. I mean, the entire Pacific Northwest doesn't even have a single elite, prestigious university. We have the University of Washington which is a really amazing public university, but it's no where near the level of "prestige" as private universities in D.C. or Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:05 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^Nice synopsis. One small counterpoint (having lived in both Boston and DC), there are lot of people out here who are "wowed" by the West Coast. There's a certain cachet that comes with living in one of the West Coast's major cities. I don't know if I call it "prestige," but you'll hear a lot of envy when someone says, "I'm moving to Seattle" (or San Francisco, LA, Portland, or San Diego). Seattle has a very good reputation here. Again, prestige may not be the word (yet), but it's close.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Stick to homering the Minneapolis threads. Seattle is the city you folks aspire to be. It's sweet.
He has a valid point though. Seattle is no way shape or form as prestigious as DC or Boston. It shouldn't even be included with the other two cities in this poll. Seattle is a great city don't get me wrong, it's just not as important/prestigious as the other two. (And this is coming from someone who likes seattle more than boston).

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 PM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
He has a valid point though. Seattle is no way shape or form as prestigious as DC or Boston. It shouldn't even be included with the other two cities in this poll. Seattle is a great city don't get me wrong, it's just not as important/prestigious as the other two. (And this is coming from someone who likes seattle more than boston).
Well if you look at the OP's original question he also mentions "desirability" which has seemed to have been completely ignored.

Here is a thread I created just a few months ago about desirability.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...5-edition.html

Old 09-04-2015, 02:38 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Boston is the most prestigious of these three. Its role in American history is huge.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Well if you look at the OP's original question he also mentions "desirability" which has seemed to have been completely ignored.

Here is a thread I created just a few months ago about desirability.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...5-edition.html
Okay well it seems as if the OP has asked 4 questions in 1. These should all be four different threads haha.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 PM

213 posts, read 278,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
and you and the Seattle homers never fail to amuse. Keep it up.

Aww, the 10-year olds are upset. I'm hardly a Minneapolis homer as I acknowledge the negatives. BTW, Minneapolis has been doing just fine on it's own and without needing to look towards Seattle for inspiration.

Again, get out and experience what other cities have to offer.
Yimby - you are basically the definition of the term "homer".

Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Yeah, I see no reason why Seattle is even in this poll. It is clearly not as prestigious as DC or Boston. The only city outside of the Northeast that I think even could be in the conversation for prestige with these cities is San Francisco.

Now, desirability is a completely different question altogether.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I suppose this question depends on what criteria you're looking at to define prestige. I work in the legal field; ergo, a lot of the "prestigious" legal jobs are in D.C. If someone has a career as an academic, then the universities based around Boston are as prestigious as they come.

If we're talking about a city that the average layman would go, "Oooh, you live THERE? How fancy!" I think that would be a toss up between D.C and Boston.

Seattle is a city that is seeing enormous economic growth and once it builds a bunch more high-end condo towers, it might eventually become a city that "impresses" people by its prestige. But nationally, I just feel few people would call Seattle "fancy" just yet. Give it a few more years of news tabloids telling everyone how "expensive" Seattle is or how Seattle is a city for the rich that out-prices the lower classes... Maybe when that happens we could reopen this discussion with Seattle in the picture. I mean, the entire Pacific Northwest doesn't even have a single elite, prestigious university. We have the University of Washington which is a really amazing public university, but it's no where near the level of "prestige" as private universities in D.C. or Boston.
Spot on. Although there already are publications beginning to write about how expensive Seattle is and how it's a city for the rich that out-prices the lower classes. Unfortunately there is some truth to those claims (although it's not as bad and far more complex than those publications typically make it seem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City