Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestige?
Boston>Seattle>Washington DC 3 3.80%
Boston>Washington DC>Seattle 25 31.65%
Seattle>Boston>Washington DC 0 0%
Seattle>Washington DC>Boston 3 3.80%
Washington DC>Boston>Seattle 42 53.16%
Washington DC>Seattle>Boston 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM

345 posts, read 810,629 times

Advertisements

Which city has more prestige, presence, desirability & respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Washington, D.C. is the easy answer. It definitely has more "prestige, and presence" on a global scale. It's the capital of the United States. It's known worldwide for being the seat of power of the American Government.

Boston's prestigious in terms of its institutions of higher learning, and to a lesser degree its hospitals and financial sector. It's still on a different tier globally.

Seattle would be my pick for third of the bunch. It's definitely the most naturally beautiful of the three, but I don't think it's viewed on the same level domestically or internationally.

"desirability" is subjective. Each of them is desirable for different reasons. I'm not going to touch "respect." I think they all get their fair share of respect.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
DC should win this easily without question.. Boston and Seattle are very nice cities but they do not come anywhere near DC in terms of prestige, influence, and importance as a major city in the western hemisphere..

Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM

32,106 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quite a few prestige threads lately.

I voted Boston > DC > Seattle. DC is the nation's capital but it wasn't really recognized as a "global" city until the 1960s. Before then, it was described as a sleepy, Southern city with little in the way of wealth or culture.

Boston is obviously a lot older. While political power is prestigious, I associate Boston with the establishment (Harvard, Wellesley, aristocracy, Cape Cod, etc.) more than I do with any other region. On City-Data, you have more DC posters comparing their city to Boston than the other way around ("Maryland has more of a New England-type feel").

Old 09-02-2015, 08:36 AM

345 posts, read 810,629 times
is there a way you can delete/remove your own threads?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I was surprised how "regional" the vibe felt in Boston the few times I've been there. I expected that being a finance center and having schools like Harvard and MIT would make the city feel more international than it is. A pretty historic place nonetheless.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
Seattle may be the most "desirable" right now, but not much can compare to DC in terms of "prestige"

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Here's a quick rundown.

Most powerful institution: White House/Congress vs. No Boston equivalent

Aristocracy: Boston Brahmins vs. No DC equivalent

Higher Ed: Harvard vs. Georgetown

Notable historic landmark: Faneuil Hall vs. Ford's Theater?/Mt. Vernon

"Old money" neighborhood: Beacon Hill vs Georgetown

Prestigious suburbs: Weston/Wellesley vs. Bethesda/Potomac

Elite prep schools: Phillips, Milton, Concord - Sidwell, St. Albans, Georgetown Prep

Satellite City: Cambridge - Alexandria/Arlington

Local Weekend Getaway: Nantucket/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard vs. Annapolis/Eastern Shore/Bethany?

Most notable natives sons/daughters: John, Robert, Edward and Joseph Kennedy, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, John Quincy Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Murray Forbes, Henry Cabot Lodge vs. John Philip Sousa, Duke Ellington, Warren Buffet, Maury Povich, Sandra Bullock

Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Seattle may be the most "desirable" right now, but not much can compare to DC in terms of "prestige"
Desirability is so subjective (moreso than prestige imo) that it makes no sense to even bother addressing it.

There's prestige in power. That's also prestige in age (which is why Wimbledon, for example, is considered more prestigious than the U.S. Open). I think there's also a lot of prestige wrapped up in being sort of Ground Zero for the culture that--according to E. Digby Baltzell--went on to dominate much of America's educational and political institutions. Not having grown up in New England, we spent more time learning about the Mayflower and the Massachusetts Bay Colony than we did learning about the state we were actually living in.

I think that Boston, and New England as a whole, denotes a sense of class in the minds of most Americans that no other region does. There's certainly a strong White working-class presence throughout New England, but we all know that perception and reality rarely align, which is why you have City-Data posters saying that Connecticut is full of forests, small "New England-style towns" and country farm estates. Places like Nantucket stir up certain images and connotations in the minds of average Americans in a way that Annapolis never will.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I was surprised how "regional" the vibe felt in Boston the few times I've been there. I expected that being a finance center and having schools like Harvard and MIT would make the city feel more international than it is. A pretty historic place nonetheless.
You don't think NYC has a regional vibe?

There are certain places in Boston that feel more "international" or cosmopolitan. And by "international," I don't necessarily mean immigrants, but more or less in the DC sense of having white people from foreign countries speaking another language at the table across from you. Outside of these tiny areas, there is more of a provincial feel that the DC area lacks, which is why you probably get the sense (rightly so) that the city has more of a regional vibe.

About 88-80% of Harvard students are from the U.S. The student body is probably Blacker and more Hispanic than many people would think. It's also, imo, poorer than BU's student body given the considerable financial aid most students receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City