Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Stop feeling inferior to larger cities such as Nashville and Cincinnati, and establish more of a business friendly can do attitude. Louisville is more mature in its arts, and appears to be more progressive in its cultural awareness than the other two. Louisville should make every effort to showcase its arts, culinary, and horse culture. Those are the things that stand out to me versus some of the other cities its size.
A prudent thing to keep in mind, cities its size - especially if comparing Louisville to a city like Cincinnati. Bourbon, horses and the width of the Ohio River, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
A prudent thing to keep in mind, cities its size - especially if comparing Louisville to a city like Cincinnati. Bourbon, horses and the width of the Ohio River, yes.
Cincinnati is larger. I was referring to metro areas around its size. New Orleans is the exception to the rule in terms of maturity, especially in arts, culture, and branding. It meets or exceeds some cities twice its size in those areas. I think Louisville can go head to head with Cincy in terms of things to do.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisville does have that history though. It was always a vice city, right?
Mostly all sizable cities back in the day were "vice cities" to some extent.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
People make the strangest comparisons on this forum, lol. I like both cities but they are nothing alike.
I haven't been but I do not agree at all. Louisville has many shotgun homes, home to bourbon, has an urban street grid, was a big city decades ago, is a river city, etc. All of those attributes are shared with New Orleans.

I drew many comparisons to New Orleans when I visited Chicago. They are nowhere near the same but share many important cultural attributes. The same is likely true for Louisville.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I haven't been but I do not agree at all. Louisville has many shotgun homes, home to bourbon, has an urban street grid, was a big city decades ago, is a river city, etc. All of those attributes are shared with New Orleans.

I drew many comparisons to New Orleans when I visited Chicago. They are nowhere near the same but share many important cultural attributes. The same is likely true for Louisville.
Spot on!

My question is more, how does Louisville attain the level of national "status" as a go to tourist spot that the Big Easy is.

Louisville has a lot of the same attributes, and Louisville's (re) development is in its infancy.

For those of you who don't understand how big bourbon is, you are in for a HUGE surprise.

For example, festivals like this are getting announced al the time. This is from a S. California promoter (who fell in love with Louisville)in on some of the biggest festivals like South by Southwest, etc:

Bourbon & Beyond | Louisville, KY | Sept. 23-24, 2017

This is in addition to dozens of other festivals that occur all year! Like New Orleans, Louisville is fast becoming a huge music city, as well.

Also, I am NOT making up the tourist numbers. Louisville had over 24 million tourists, and one of our convention centers is closed for renovations:

https://louisvilleky.gov/news/mayor-...e-city-address
This information is straight from the Mayor, and he'd have no reason to make it up.

Louisville has been, and will always be, a top 50 convention destination, and that number will double when 11 new downtown hotels, 23 total other hotels, and the new convention center opens.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
^ New Orleans has the French Quarter and Mardi Gras...

Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM

146 posts, read 223,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Also.. both have very large and dense skyline per their pretty modest populations

Lou.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...wnSkyline2.jpg
7-8 buildings is a "large skyline?" Louisville's skyline doesn't even come close to NOLA's.
Louisville has a small skyline and compares with smaller cities like Des Moines.

NOLA blows away Louisville in every way.
One is a cosmopolitan city with deep culture, architecture and tremendous hhistory (NOLA) and the other is a small, average city (Lvll).

Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
7-8 buildings is a "large skyline?" Louisville's skyline doesn't even come close to NOLA's.
Louisville has a small skyline and compares with smaller cities like Des Moines.

NOLA blows away Louisville in every way.
One is a cosmopolitan city with deep culture, architecture and tremendous hhistory (NOLA) and the other is a small, average city (Lvll).
Louisville and NOLA are about the same size so if the former is small, so is the latter.

Louisville also has notable culture, architecture, and history. It just hasn't had the tourism component to go along with it historically.

Actually I think Kentucky is a very evocative state and is underrated in that respect.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:24 PM

14,678 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Louisville is a nice weekend visit with the Slugger museum, the kid's museum downtown, Churchill Downs and a couple of other attractions, and has a very good food scene, but it doesn't compare to the nightlife and culture offered by N.O. The N.O. music scene is obviously one of the best in the country, runs all night (along with the alcohol), has its own famous cuisine, and is a huge destination for artists. It's very dense while Louisville feels very suburban outside its core. I mean you can point to a few things on a list that make them similar but when you visit they're nothing alike.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Louisville is a nice weekend visit with the Slugger museum, the kid's museum downtown, Churchill Downs and a couple of other attractions, and has a very good food scene, but it doesn't compare to the nightlife and culture offered by N.O. The N.O. music scene is obviously one of the best in the country, runs all night (along with the alcohol), has its own famous cuisine, and is a huge destination for artists. It's very dense while Louisville feels very suburban outside its core. I mean you can point to a few things on a list that make them similar but when you visit they're nothing alike.
Funny because many people consider NO to be suburban outside it's core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City