U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Wilmington, DE 15 62.50%
El Paso, TX 8 33.33%
They're equal 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 PM

4,269 posts, read 3,333,628 times

Advertisements

El Paso and Wilmington are at opposite ends of the U.S. Census designated Southern United States. How do they compare? Which one is better?

Economy
Culture
Food
Nightlife
People
Schools
Scenery
Recreation
Mass Transit
Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,512,532 times
Wilmington, El Paso is a dump in my opinion. If you are in DE at least you are close to DC and NYC, ect. El Paso is sort of on it's own.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 AM

4,864 posts, read 4,504,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Wilmington, El Paso is a dump in my opinion. If you are in DE at least you are close to DC and NYC, ect. El Paso is sort of on it's own.
Lets not forget the 5th largest city the country that encompasses Wilmington in its MSA. That city is named Philadelphia, it is a mere 40 minutes away from Wilmington...

Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 AM

3,504 posts, read 2,727,471 times
Wilmington is a small, decaying city of 70,000. The suburbs ARE outstanding and they're trying to revitalize the waterfront, but c'mon, this is no contest--and I live in Delaware. On pure city terms, El Paso wipes the floor with Wilmington. Wilmington does not equal Philadelphia or Baltimore, unfortunately.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,300,066 times
Easily it's Wilmington for me. I'd rather be close to Philly than in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 AM

I think this comparison needs to be more defined. When you say "Wilmington", are you specifically referring to the city limits, or are you referring to Greater Wilmington? Since the city limits are so small for the city proper, I think you should refer to Greater Wilmington (as in New Castle County only, and NOT South Jersey, Maryland or Pennsylvania) for a more fair comparison.

Last edited by qworldorder; 09-03-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 11:36 AM

I can't speak on El Paso from recent experience, but I can discuss Wilmington. Concerning New Castle County only and not the rest of the Philly MSA (cause that's cheating), here's how I see it.

Economy: Pretty much banking, hospitals and Du Pont/Astra Zeneca. Everything else is either retail or located in Philadelphia/downstate.

Culture: There's the Delaware Art Museum, Winterthur, and Grand Opera House. Nothing mind blowing, but it's something. There's also always street festivals like Bob Marley's and there's a minor league team (Blue Rocks).

Food: Nothing of note. Mostly chain restaurants mixed with local establishments. Easy to find Philly and Maryland eats.

Nightlife: Fairly terrible, as Delaware bars/clubs shut down at 1. The University of Delaware is the only saving grace, and only when school is in session. Otherwise, nightlifers usually go to Philly or Baltimore. Delaware establishments only survive out of convenience and price, not because they draw crowds.

People: Liberal, intelligent populace in the burbs. A lot of Northeast transplants. Fairly diverse throughout the county. Inner city Wilmington is like an episode of The Wire.

Schools: Bad to mediocre public schools. EXCELLENT charter/private schools. The University of Delaware is considered a Public Ivy (if that means anything), and is a solid state school.

Scenery: Flat and green, with some hills in the city. A lot of rivers and creeks.

Recreation: Movies, shopping, eating, minor league baseball, small museums. The good stuff is in Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Mass Transit: There's both SEPTA to Philly and Amtrak to the rest of the NE. Greyhound has a station, and Chinese deal buses go from Wilmington to the rest of the NE.

Shopping: Christiana Mall and Concord Mall are large, popular malls. Not a big shopper, so I can't speak on luxury stores. Tons of big box stores. Outside of Greater Wilmington, but there's King of Prussia and the outlets downstate that are fairly close.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,512,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Lets not forget the 5th largest city the country that encompasses Wilmington in its MSA. That city is named Philadelphia, it is a mere 40 minutes away from Wilmington...
haha I know that.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM

27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Wilmington is a small, decaying city of 70,000. The suburbs ARE outstanding and they're trying to revitalize the waterfront, but c'mon, this is no contest--and I live in Delaware. On pure city terms, El Paso wipes the floor with Wilmington. Wilmington does not equal Philadelphia or Baltimore, unfortunately.
Are you familiar with El Paso?

Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you familiar with El Paso?
I drove through it 15 years ago, so that's the extent of my first hand knowledge. I have no problems admitting that. But I just don't see how Wilmington, even being generous and considering New Castle County as Wilmington, comes close to being in the same conversation as El Paso, if we're being honest and not relying on Philadelphia/location. Can you honestly enlighten me? Is El Paso the same as Juarez?

For all intents and purposes, Wilmington is pretty much synonymous with New Castle County, but there's a noticeable gap between its urban developments and Pennsylvania's. Even Claymont to Chester has dead space, so Wilmington is still significantly detached from Philadelphia. I know location might win this poll, but all other things considered? I voted like a homer for Wilmington because I honestly thought this was a joke thread. But maybe it's not the slaughter I think, if you can feel me in on El Paso better than Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or