Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is the accurate place for DC and Baltimore in the 21st century?
Northeast 70 81.40%
South 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance on DC matters, but what was the city like before the federal government moved in to town? Was there a city before it became the capitol? Was it just Georgetown before ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
DC's culture is much more southern than Northeastern. The Philly area is the end of the northeast in terms of culture. You get south of Newark, DE and the visual changes begin and transition to the Chesapeake area.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Pardon my ignorance on DC matters, but what was the city like before the federal government moved in to town? Was there a city before it became the capitol? Was it just Georgetown before ?
There was no DC before the federal government moved into town; it was explicitly created for the purpose of being the seat of government of the United States. Now the neighborhood of Georgetown used to be its own municipality before being merged with Washington by Congress to create a consolidated city in the federal district, but it wasn't very big.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:32 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Georgetown was founded in 1751 and located in Montgomery County, Maryland. Washington DC was founded 40 years later by an Act of Congress.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:31 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
DC's culture is much more southern than Northeastern. The Philly area is the end of the northeast in terms of culture. You get south of Newark, DE and the visual changes begin and transition to the Chesapeake area.
Good answer. I think this post sums it up best. Culturally DC/Baltimore not so much(though they are influenced by the cities to the north), geographically I guess an argument could be made, but meh.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Georgetown was founded in 1751 and located in Montgomery County, Maryland. Washington DC was founded 40 years later by an Act of Congress.
MoCo used to be part of PG County actually. Alexandria, VA was also another major independent port town on the Potomac prior to being absolved into DC (only to later secede since the Virginians wanted to hold on to the slave trade).

If DC had never existed, Eye wonder if G-Town and Alex were to have gotten bigger to at least a similar size like Annapolis. They probably wouldn't have gotten too big since Baltimore's influence and growth without the existence of DC would most likely have made it an even larger city than it is now.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Good answer. I think this post sums it up best. Culturally DC/Baltimore not so much(though they are influenced by the cities to the north), geographically I guess an argument could be made, but meh.
This.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
I don't classify either of them as northeastern OR southern.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
MoCo used to be part of PG County actually. Alexandria, VA was also another major independent port town on the Potomac prior to being absolved into DC (only to later secede since the Virginians wanted to hold on to the slave trade).
Hmm... I thought DC was created from Prince George's and Montgomery counties on the Maryland side. I didn't know Montgomery was part of Prince George's at one point. I guess my knowledge of that period of our history is pretty limited.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 AM

366 posts, read 404,696 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This.
Gotta love the when the minority posts something just to make themselves feel better, without even offering an actual reason to say why.

First and foremost, what does culture even have to do it visual appearance? And if we are going down that road, the south is very visually different from the DC-Baltimore area. So how exactly do they have a "southern culture" then?

Also quite curious about what's to "guess" about DC/Baltimore being geographically northeastern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City