Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 16,223 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have been browsing the threads on both cities and it seems like it's split between the two cities. I have been looking at other cities but it seems like these two maybe better options.I'm currently residing in the metro east area of St. Louis and next summer I want to move to a different city. I will have my bachelors degree in December and my experience is mostly in human resources and administrative work(due to prior military and civilian experience). I'm a 28 year old single mother of a four year old daughter, so education and job prospects of both cities matters a lot. When it comes to possible job opportunities, anything above $12 an hour will be fine (I receive other income from the military so I am able to look for lower pay to match that). My mother will be moving with me since she's getting older in age (will have some type of support system wherever I go). From everyone's knowledge and experiences, which city would you choose? I am trying to weigh out my options now so that after graduation I know where to apply to.Any helpful information would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
It would help if you can provide more details when it comes to what you're looking for in a city.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Would you like to live in an apartment, townhome, or home? Given your income, you may find that the suburban areas of each metro work best to fit your lifestyle. Both cities offer plentiful jobs opportunities. Here are the current unemployment rates in each city:

Atlanta: As of July 2015 the unemployment rate rose to 6.1%

Charlotte: As of July 2015 the unemployment rate rose to 6.0%

Job Growth Numbers Over One Year Period:

Atlanta: Atlanta grew 2.6% in 2014

Charlotte: Charlotte grew 3.5% in 2014

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...es-to-6-1.html

Charlotte-area jobless rate rises to 6 percent in July | The Charlotte Observer

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...port-says.html

Both cities offer job opportunities, however, due to Atlanta's sheer size, you may find it easier to land a position there. I wouldn't rule out Nashville or Raleigh in your decision making.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM

16 posts, read 16,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It would help if you can provide more details when it comes to what you're looking for in a city.

1. Budget: no more than $1500-$1600 a month on a three bedroom. I will not be buying a house for another 3 years.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Either
3. Jobs: My experience is in human resources and administrative work. So whichever city will have those opportunities available.
4. Children(public school vs. private): I'm looking for good public schools since my daughter starts kindergarten next school year.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle: Either is okay
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?I prefer to be around public transit, but I do have a car

I understand crime is everywhere, but I would like for it to not be at the extreme level (I'm moving from the St. Louis area and it's been a lot going on here the past few years). I love to shop, so different shopping malls or outlets is a plus. Nightlife isn't a big deal since I don't go out as much anymore but it would help if the nightlife is good in the city. As far as activities, I want to get my daughter into soccer or cheerleading. Also, the job market is a big factor to me.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
This is just word of mouth, but Eye did heard that Charlotte is the more family-friendly of the two cities.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:47 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
You would do well in either. As someone said, you may have a better chance finding a position in Atlanta due to it's size, but Charlotte has been adding more jobs.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:47 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Atlanta's job growth from August 2014 to August 2015 is 85k jobs(3.4%).

Charlotte's job growth from August 2014 to August 2015 is 37.9 jobs(3.6%).

Charlotte's job growth percentage is slightly higher.

Source: Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
AmyMo314, both places fit what you are looking for and are very similar in a lot of ways.

The big difference is in size. Charlotte is very close to the size of Metro St. Louis, while Atlanta is more than twice as large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City