U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More underrated/under-the-radar in North America?
Mexico City 45 78.95%
Toronto 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 AM

12,581 posts, read 10,453,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
They are both wonderful cities and I have spent quite a bit of time in both of them in recent years. On this board and in the real world, I would say DF is massively underrated- it is a spectacular city in terms of food, architecture, vibrancy, cultural amenities, natural environs, an endlessly fascinating, inexhaustible place. Sure there are bad parts but I have never had any reason to go to them. While there are huge chunks of bad poverty, it is also the eighth richest city in the world. There is not a neighborhood in Toronto that can hold a candle to Polanco or Los Lomas. Rosedale would be the closest, but it feels positively country in comparison

While I like Toronto very much, I think it is somewhat over-rated. It is paradoxically a more diverse but more provincial version of Chicago: a great great lakes city. It is indeed safer than DF. but has nothing like the energy, the architecture, the nightlife, the climate, the natural environs, the cultural institutions of Mexico City. If you combine Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, you would have a megacity that would be the Canadian equivalent of DF.
Some things you say are off to me about Toronto...

First when you say Mexico City is the 8th richest city in the world its also 3.0 times the size of Toronto.. Toronto obviously has more per capita wealth and also has more millionaires while M.C has more Multi millionaires. This however just underscores the more extreme inequality that exists in M.C vs Toronto. For most people and I mean the vast majority this isn't even comparable - Toronto is just a more affluent place in a first world country vs a city in a developing country where a large number of people struggle to a degree even the poorest in Toronto can't fathom. Why would we compare the top 1-5 percent only in any city comparison.

Which cities do the world's millonaires and billionaires live in? | News | The Guardian

The reason why Rosedale feels in the country is because Toronto is ravenous. The DT core is flat but areas immediately east and north east of the core are on a ravine.. If you go just north of Rosedale things become a lot more dense and less country but Toronto is like that where it has pockets of green ravenous areas in the city.. I say this because a lot of people aren't too familiar with the geography of Toronto and just draw conclusions by the DT core or for some reason Rosedale which is just north of the core..

Anyway, while there are a lot of wealthy people in Rosedale the most infamous wealthy area of Toronto with the largest mansions is actually the Bridal Path which is further north of Rosedale. Tourists normally don't go to this area but if you want to get an idea of where the elite wealthy live in Toronto - the Bridal Path is the most exclusive part of Toronto not Rosedale if you're all hot and bothered by that sort of thing.

These are just 'wealthy' nabe's - they certainly aren't the more interesting nabe's imo in Toronto.. Those would be in Kensington, QSW and the Annex..

Most people say Chicago (certainly my friends from Chicago agree) is more Provincial than Toronto
It was certainly my experience in Chicago.. I enjoyed it and loved the architecture/food but it certainly wasn't as International feeling as Toronto by a long shot lol.

As for energy, architecture, nightlife, culture (Toronto is more multicultural than M.C but obviously M.C has stronger native culture) and just energy I agree - most latin cities and expecially M.C trounce on Canamerican cities.. M.C imo trounces NYC for nightlife and energy/vibrancy so this is no surprise re Toronto. I don't think even if you combined Toronto and Montreal together it would even come close to M.C's vibrancy.. Montreal can get pretty sleepy outside its urban core pretty fast whereas M.C is almost an endless supply of vibrant areas all over.. Fact is, like pretty much every Canamerican city, we're pretty dull in the U.S/Canada when it comes to global standards of urbanity, energy and vibrancy and M.C is a heavyweight in this regard so we are totally outgunned by it.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-09-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 AM

678 posts, read 641,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I also read it is the 5th most popular International destination for American tourists after Cancun, London, San Juan and Paris...
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJliving View Post
definitely mexico city

\\
Love La Lavadora!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
???
yup

http://www.today.com/parents/where-d...utside-6232354

If you look at the number of flights between U/S airports and Toronto this wouldn't be surprising either. As I mentioned, in 2014 Toronto had 2.3 million U/S overnight visitors not including day trips.. Vancouver has 1.57 million U.S overnight visitors in 2014 and Montreal had 1.6 million U.S visitors but with O/N and day trips combined.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 AM

678 posts, read 641,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
yup

http://www.today.com/parents/where-d...utside-6232354

If you look at the number of flights between U/S airports and Toronto this wouldn't be surprising either. As I mentioned, in 2014 Toronto had 2.3 million U/S overnight visitors not including day trips.. Vancouver has 1.57 million U.S overnight visitors in 2014 and Montreal had 1.6 million U.S visitors but with O/N and day trips combined.
I think you missed what I bolded. San Juan is not an international destination for Americans.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I think you missed what I bolded. San Juan is not an international destination for Americans.
Yeah i'm not sure why they included that but they did in the article... Good point lol - which means Toronto would be 4th after Cancun, Paris and London.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
I feel like this has to be Mexico City. It's one of the world's megacities (Toronto is big, but come on...). Amazing architecture, shopping, nightlife, climate, dining. It's the national capital of one of the world's largest nations. It's public transit is not great but it's workable, and getting better. As far as historic sights and architecture, it blows Toronto out of the water. Not saying Toronto doesn't also have world-class shopping, arts, etc, but people know that. I know that a sizable chunk of the population thinks Mexico City shares the problems that plague cities like Juarez and Tijuana, when that's really not the case...
I have to disagree about your public transit comment. It's widespread, cheap and easy to use, imo. It can be crowded, but that's what you get with a city this size.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:10 PM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I'm commenting here.... because that streetview360. REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF PHILADELPHIA STREETS. They are that narrow just downtown alone, and many throughout the city....
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9498...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9517...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9498...7i13312!8i6656

Oh and their UNENDING Row home blocks. CAN BE NICE IF YOU LIKE THAT CLOSENESS.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9331...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9324...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9299...7i13312!8i6656

I don't boast for Philly.... Row homes are not my favorite. But that Mexico City street so NARROW TOO... Made me think PHILLY HAS THAT... Not to change the subject off topic.

I just don't understand? Why a street has to be NARROW and homes together. FOR SOME To be URBAN?

URBANITY does not have to be claustrophobic it can have front green space and some green in back too. LIKE MY FAVORITE CITY CHICAGO.
But I would say Mexico City is underrated.... in the States you almost never here about its SIZE in North America, or anything about it.

To be fair, the Google map image from the post you're responding to was from Centro Historico, the original neighborhood of Mexico City. A lot of this neighborhood was laid out centuries ago when there was no need for wider streets. Most of the city's streets are not nearly this narrow.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:21 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Mexico City feels nothing like Philly. What a bizarre comparison.

Mexico City feels like LA, but denser and more intense.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,339,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
If I want to get kidnapped, Mexico City's the place I'll go.
Mexico City is safe. I went there in May, and it actually felt safe enough to walk through the park at 2 am.

DF defies all stereotypes. It's truly the best-kept secret in the world.

DF has incredible restaurants, cocktail lounges, museums, nightlife, and history. The streets and sidewalks are spotlessly clean. The people are kind, friendly, and welcoming. The drivers aren't *******s. They have an amazing public transportation system that's easy to navigate (just 30 cents to ride the subway). It has the strongest economy in Latin America, with business professionals from all over the world. The Colonial architecture is more impressive than Buenos Aires. Everything is cheap. The street food and markets are out of this world, as are the old cathedrals. The city is surrounded by alpine, snow-capped mountains. Estado de Mexico looks like Switzerland.

It's a city that has everything for everyone, but yet there are hardly any tourists. Quit believing the exaggerations put out by the media. You'll be in awe from the moment you arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Mexico City feels nothing like Philly. What a bizarre comparison.

Mexico City feels like LA, but denser and more intense.
I completely disagree with both of you. It's really like neither, and I doubt either of you are familiar with DF beyond Google Steetview. The central parts of the DF feel more like Paris with tropical plants or a clean version of Buenos Aires--really nothing like anything in the US. Old parts of Philly and Boston are similar in age, density, and street-size only, but they're totally different architecturally. Other parts of DF, like La Reforma and Santa Fe, with their newer high rises, are somewhat reminiscent of the architecture along Chicago's Lakeshore Drive, but it has a totally different feel. Perhaps coastal parts of Miami might be a better parallel, but I've never been there. The fact that DF is landlocked would make it difficult to compare to Miami or Chicago anyway. The more working-class areas actually remind me--to some extent--of South Philly and parts of Brooklyn (Bushwick in particular): dense, short, boxy buildings from the early-mid 20th Century. You'll see brighter colors and more trees in DF; also, you'll see some older buildings in South Philly and Brooklyn that are architecturally nothing like anything in DF. You'll see more stucco in DF (that is one similarity to LA) and more red brick in Philly. The poor areas on the hillside in DF are reminiscent of the stereotypes of Northern Mexico, and again nothing like anything in the US. I guess there are some suburban areas that look like every other suburb everywhere, which I guess includes LA suburbs too, but when I think LA, I think small single-family 1950's bungalows with yards and chain-link fences and apartment complexes that are designed to surround a swimming pool--that's not DF.

DF is really like nothing in the US at all; that's why it's such an awesome place to visit. You'll feel like you're on the other side of the world, and it's just a few hours away by plane.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 09-09-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,585,990 times
D.D. Interesting to hear. Pics of Mexico City streetscape? Because I was amazed by BA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or