Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More underrated/under-the-radar in North America?
Mexico City 48 80.00%
Toronto 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 06:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Compare what each of these places have to offer and then rate them on which place is more underrated here in the North American continent and possibly the world.

Compare their performing arts, cultural institutions, educational facilities, historical sites, culinary scenes and innovations, architecture, actual textbook history, economics, social politics and political influence, transportation facilities (airports, seaports, cruise terminals, so on), road networks, public transportation, national sports teams and facilities, real-estate markets (architecture, style period, prices), climate, topography, so on and so forth.

Which city is more underrated here in North America, Mexico City or Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
I feel like this has to be Mexico City. It's one of the world's megacities (Toronto is big, but come on...). Amazing architecture, shopping, nightlife, climate, dining. It's the national capital of one of the world's largest nations. It's public transit is not great but it's workable, and getting better. As far as historic sights and architecture, it blows Toronto out of the water. Not saying Toronto doesn't also have world-class shopping, arts, etc, but people know that. I know that a sizable chunk of the population thinks Mexico City shares the problems that plague cities like Juarez and Tijuana, when that's really not the case...

Old 09-04-2015, 06:48 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
If I want to get kidnapped, Mexico City's the place I'll go.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Yeah... that's not a cliched knee jerk response or anything. Unless you roll the cartel. Way to be original.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:22 PM

366 posts, read 404,620 times
In terms of how desirable they actually are, Toronto easily for me.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:12 PM

213 posts, read 278,254 times
People totally underrate Mexico City's urbanity. Much of the city is dense streetwalls like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4372...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-07-2015, 04:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
These are really different cities.. Toronto is a first world affluent city while M.C is a megacity in a developing country.. To live Toronto imo quite easily - better QOL for most and just a safer place with good urbanity (Old Toronto) and things to do/attractions etc.. As one of the most multicultural cities in the world the cuisine is as varied as the different ethnicities who live in it.. Toronto has a large English theatre scene - third largest in the world after NYC and London.. Its also chock and block full of festivals from May to October. Colder months not so much..

M.C on the other hand is as I said, a megacity in a developing country with a whole lot more history and native culture/cuisine than Toronto. There is no comparison between the urbanity and vibrancy between M.C and Toronto - M.C is just totally on another level.. I'd rate M.C the most vibrant and pedestrian intense city I've been to and that includes NYC, London, Bangkok, Istanbul and Cairo.. The traffic is a nightmare as well but we are talking one of the largest and most dense cities in the world.

In short - as a place for touristic attractions/excitement - I think both are underrated but the choice for me in terms of being underrated is clear - M.C... Its an amazingly vibrant place to visit..

Old 09-07-2015, 04:47 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Actually, Mexico City is safer than most US cities.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Other than pretty much being dominated by one culture, DF wins this one handily. TO is better if you're looking for a more international flavor.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I think that Mexico City is more underrated largely because it doesn't have a good reputation at all. Both are great cities. I've even thought about at least visiting and perhaps living in MC for a few months/year to immerse myself in a different culture, but at the same time I'd be somewhat more wary of what is (despite it's relative safety moreso than the rest of the country), a more palpable tension over security than I would probably find in Toronto. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City