U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,191,933 times

Advertisements

1.NYC
2.Philadelphia
3.Boston
4.Baltimore
5.Washington

Based on Importance over the countrys 240 years..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 PM

66 posts, read 52,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Lehigh Valley Forum has had many threads regarding sphere of influence Philly vs NYC. Philly is always the winner in their discussions. Dont let the convoluted connect the dots commuter cmsa fool you.

And please dont bring Trenton into this.

A perfect example of why paper doesn't always pass the eye test.

Great photo!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:09 PM

27 posts, read 21,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan27 View Post
Here's the order I'd put them in:
1. NYC (I think this one's pretty obvious infact I think it's up there with London for the most important city in the world. Financial capital of the world basically)
2. Washington DC (Only ranked so highly because it's the nation's capital)
3. Philadelphia (Lots of history and probably the best local cuisine of any city in the country; cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, and who can forget Wawa hoagies. I only put it ahead of Boston because of its much larger size and population. Gets overlooked though and has an inferiority complex because of its location between NYC and DC but still manages to have its own identity).
4. Boston (Also lots of history and the cultural capital of New England. Most sports crazed town in the whole country and the higher education capital of the world. Global city when it comes to technology, bioengineering, education, medicine, science. Too isolated to be in anyone else's shadow. This city really has its own identity).
5. Baltimore (In DC's shadow and doesn't really have its own identity at all. Only things worth seeing here are the Aquarium and Fort McHenry and the Aquarium is very overrated. The whole city isn't safe including the Inner Harbor these days).
This list is definitely up for debate so let me know what you think the order is.
Here's what I think the next 5 most important cities in the Northeast are that round out the top 10. I'm just posting this for sh!ts and giggles:
6. Providence, RI
7. New Haven, CT
8. Hartford, CT
9. Newark, NJ
10. Wilmington, DE
Newark should def be number 6 on that list. Not just because it's a larger city then the rest on that list, but in terms of the infrastructure its has. Being that it has the largest port in the east coast it makes it a vital city in the NYC metro area, but also the east coast as major products come through that port that make there way all over the east coast.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:42 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
A perfect example of why paper doesn't always pass the eye test.

Great photo!
The photo is taken from the New York side over Trenton looking at Philly. All you have to do is reverse the pic north and take the pic of Trenton over Philly looking at NYC. There are more people commuting from the county where Trenton is (which includes Princeton) into NYC than to Philadelphia. After 2010 census, its not even close either. The top 3 counties for Mercer county are all NYC core counties, including Manhattan at #2.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
100% of people will agree with NYC at #1 and Baltimore at #5, and almost 100% of people won't agree on the order of DC, Boston and Philly.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The photo is taken from the New York side over Trenton looking at Philly. Commuting patterns tell a completely different story. There are more people commuting from the county where Trenton is (which includes Princeton) into NYC than to Philadelphia. After 2010 census, its not even close either. The top 3 counties for Mercer county are all NYC core counties, including Manhattan at #2.
There are far more people commuting from Mercer County into NYC than into Philly. It isn't even remotely close.

I doubt there was any time in history when Mercer County had more commuters to Philly, or was ever considered as part of the Philly metro area. That makes zero sense, as the majority of Mercer County was never connected to Philly by direct rail or road connections, and Mercer's greatest population growth over the past half century has all been on the Princeton end of the county.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are far more people commuting from Mercer County into NYC than into Philly. It isn't even remotely close.

I doubt there was any time in history when Mercer County had more commuters to Philly, or was ever considered as part of the Philly metro area. That makes zero sense, as the majority of Mercer County was never connected to Philly by direct rail or road connections, and Mercer's greatest population growth over the past half century has all been on the Princeton end of the county.
I believe in the 1980s-1990s more people commuted to Philly, but the gap and development patterns have steadily increased towards NYC.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 9,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pittsburgh? Buffalo? Syracuse? Last I checked they were in the Northeast too and if you don't think so you must have failed geography.
They're in the Northeast but they're not in the Northeast Corridor. I was specifically talking about the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington. I don't know much about Syracuse but how exactly is Syracuse important? Pittsburgh definitely i would put that at least on par with Bmore if not slightly ahead and Buffalo is probably slightly behind Bmore in national prominence.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:36 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Mercer was part of the Philly MSA until 2007

the commuters to CC or Manhattan are small; the connections are via the suburban centers and really have far les to do with the cores of NYC or Philly

today and in the past Mercer has three seperate rail ine connections with Philly (one with NYC) and there are 3 interstates (4 if you include route 1 which is a highway at the PA/NJ connection while it is not on the Mercer to NYC MSA connection) that connect Mercer with the Philly MSA, Mercer and the NYC MSA have one interstate connection.

It is and has always been part of the Philly media market and not NYC.

Not sure where your points came from as they are all actually wrong. I spent most of my teens and early twentys about 2 miles from Mercer county in the Philly MSA and understand the dynamic very well.

the Mercer connection to the NYC CSA is because of commuters that drive a few miles to the Brunswick or to Bridgewater not to Manhattan

the biggest driver was the closing of the US Steeel fairless works (second largest steel manufacturing facility in the world at the time (late 90s) and then the Merril Lynch facility that ended up in Ewing NJ as oposed to Newtown PA (only 3 miles apart). That coupled with NJ developing many more jobs in the route 1 and 287 corriders than PA did in Bucks.

thi notion of commuters to NYC is rediculous, its like 1.5% of the Mercer population

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-07-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The photo is taken from the New York side over Trenton looking at Philly. All you have to do is reverse the pic north and take the pic of Trenton over Philly looking at NYC. There are more people commuting from the county where Trenton is (which includes Princeton) into NYC than to Philadelphia. After 2010 census, its not even close either. The top 3 counties for Mercer county are all NYC core counties, including Manhattan at #2.

commuter rates for Mercer are as follows (Census 2010 data)

Mercer to Mercer 117K
Mercer to Middlesex NJ (NY MSA) 16K
Mercer to NYC (NY MSA) 6K
Mercer to Somerset NJ (NY MSA) 5K
Mercer to Bucks PA (Philly MSA) 5K
Mercer to Burlington NJ (Philly MSA) 5K
Mercer to Monmouth NJ (NY MSA) 3K
Mercer to Philadelphia 2K
Mercer to remaining NYC MSA counties 6K
Mercer to remaining Philly MSA counties 5K

the NJ job centers (close to Mercer) are the draw and the connection but its not Manhattan driving this

and in terms of development the connection with Philly is seemless and broad - the mercer connection with the NYC MSA is significantly less developed actually

Trenton to Philly is 11 miles, Trenton to NYC is probably 45 at the closest point which is Staten Island

now the CSA connection is what it is (actually may even meet MSA today) but the developed connection is not the same and on the NOLA they were also all incorrect as well.

as recently as 1995 Mercer had 18% of their workers commuting to Bucks county PA but with two large closures those numbers dropped and changed dramtically causing the movement from the Philly MSA county to the NYC CSA county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or