Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 14,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
DC shouldnt even be included in any northeast poll but I guess if people are going by that northeast corridor train route it could be. DC is a former southern swamp that was chosen for its southern location to placate the southern gentry after the revolution, named after one of the most famous southerners of all time George Washington, we are in the subtropical humid climate zone and this climate is about as different as can be from boston, buffalo, rochester, pittsburgh or nyc.

A winter like bostons last year or alot of the northeast would literally shut down washington dc, traffic at rush hour would just be a national emergency type situation. Our weather is alot more like richmonds than boston,buffalo, pittsburgh, etc
Uh DC is definitely the Northeast. I know they have different weather from Boston, NY, and even Philly but it's as much a part of the congested heavily populated Northeast Corridor as the other 4. I consider the Northeast everything east of MI with the eastern half of Ohio such as Cleveland, Akron, and Youngstown being part of the Northeast to the coast, and everything from Washington DC up to the top of Maine. Washington DC is only 857 miles from the northern tip of Maine as opposed to being 1,052 miles from Miami which isn't even at the southern tip of Florida so it's definitely still in the northern half of the country geographically. I know DC is below the Mason-Dixon line but you have to remember that when the Mason-Dixon line was drawn Florida was part of Spain. Cape May, NJ is also south of the Mason-Dixon line and I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that Cape May, NJ is in the Southeast

Last edited by yankeesfan27; 10-20-2015 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan27 View Post
Upon reconsideration, I'd actually switch the order of Boston and Philly and put Boston at #3 ahead of Philly based on its educational, cultural, and economic status which are all superior to Philly's. Boston is an Alpha World City (one of only 6 cities in the US that is an Alpha World City). The 6 Alpha World Cities in the US are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. I really don't think Atlanta is in the same league as the other 5 but I guess hosting the 96 Olympics, having the world's busiest airport, and being the headquarters of Coca-Cola, CNN, The Home Depot, Time Warner, TBS, and the Weather Channel counts for something and makes it more viable. Meanwhile, Philly is only a Beta World City among the likes of cities like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, DC etc. while Baltimore is among the lowly ranks of Gamma World City. On the national stage, in terms of prominence I'd probably rank Boston #6 behind NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and SF and Philadelphia would probably fall somewhere around 10th
Washington DC is an Alpha world city.

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog/...-gamma-cities/

Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
fyi, i think op is referring to:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boshington

Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Uh DC is definitely the Northeast. I know they have different weather from Boston, NY, and even Philly but it's as much a part of the congested heavily populated Northeast Corridor as the other 4. I consider the Northeast everything east of MI with the eastern half of Ohio such as Cleveland, Akron, and Youngstown being part of the Northeast to the coast, and everything from Washington DC up to the top of Maine. Washington DC is only 857 miles from the northern tip of Maine as opposed to being 1,052 miles from Miami which isn't even at the southern tip of Florida so it's definitely still in the northern half of the country geographically. I know DC is below the Mason-Dixon line but you have to remember that when the Mason-Dixon line was drawn Florida was part of Spain. Cape May, NJ is also south of the Mason-Dixon line and I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that Cape May, NJ is in the Southeast
The eastern half of Ohio is Midwestern with Northeast influences. Cleveland and Akron have more in common with Detroit and Chicago than New York and Philadelphia culturally, historically, industrially and demographically.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:23 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
I put Philadelphia ahead of Boston because of the bigger population and overall GDP, and I don't see Boston overcoming in either statistic anytime soon (opposers can post growth % all they want, its a hypothetical). Boston leads in education but Philadelphia is an education capital in its own right not far behind. We aren't talking Houston here. UPenn is one of the top ivy schools and schools in the world with Harvard and Boston having MIT as well.

Philadelphia has more colleges and universities as well as more students getting educated by Philadelphia area institutions (400,000).

DC has the political importance, but im taking into account the overall city and not just one niche industry.
Look at the GDP trends, I guess it can't prove the future but its happening now.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The eastern half of Ohio is Midwestern with Northeast influences. Cleveland and Akron have more in common with Detroit and Chicago than New York and Philadelphia culturally, historically, industrially and demographically.
Yeah Ohio's just so far east of the center of the country that it's hard for me to call it Midwestern. It's not the Northeast but it's not the Midwest either it's kind of in between. To me Ohio is Midwestern/Northeastern. I understand Cleveland and especially Akron have more of a Midwestern feel to them but they could just as easily pass for cities in the Northeast too

Old 10-24-2015, 12:43 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
Upon reconsideration, I'd actually switch the order of Boston and Philly and put Boston at #3 ahead of Philly based on its educational, cultural, and economic status which are all superior to Philly's. Boston is an Alpha World City (one of only 6 cities in the US that is an Alpha World City). The 6 Alpha World Cities in the US are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. I really don't think Atlanta is in the same league as the other 5 but I guess hosting the 96 Olympics, having the world's busiest airport, and being the headquarters of Coca-Cola, CNN, The Home Depot, Time Warner, TBS, and the Weather Channel counts for something and makes it more viable. Meanwhile, Philly is only a Beta World City among the likes of cities like Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, DC etc. while Baltimore is among the lowly ranks of Gamma World City. On the national stage, in terms of prominence I'd probably rank Boston #6 behind NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, and SF and Philadelphia would probably fall somewhere around 10th
Atlanta is in the same league.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:43 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
People do realize that Atlanta isn't globally important because of the weather channel right (btw the weather channel is owned by nbc)? It's all about the wholesale construction trade and transportation. Also being a large employment hub for AT&T and Lockheed Martin. I still wouldn't put it ahead of Philadelphia. Companies around the Delaware Valley just moved way more money. You could add the total revenues of Home Depot and Coke together to make around $150B. AmeriSourceBergen does that allow.

If we were talking about "global presence" I could see someone making a case for Atlanta with recongizable consumer brand names and being one of the trade show capitals. However, if we really got down to "whats important" in the world, I would take the pharma, chemical, medical, media power of Philadelphia over ATL's brand names. Probably will change eventually though. Also Time Warner is located in NYC.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-24-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,072 times
I would say just based on opinion

1.NYC
2.D.C
3.Boston
4.Philadelphia
5.Baltimore

Old 10-31-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're right I looked at that exact article too and somehow missed Washington DC and saw that another source had it listed as a Beta World City. Miami is an Alpha World City too which surprises me. I'm surprised Pittsburgh isn't even listed as a Gamma World City with corporations like H.J. Heinz, PNC Bank, U.S. Steel, UPMC, and Dick's Sporting Goods being headquartered in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City