U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Powerful City in the South
Miami 9 10.34%
Houston 23 26.44%
Atlanta 42 48.28%
Dallas 10 11.49%
Phoenix 0 0%
Tuh, These aren't REAL CITIES just big giant Suburbs 1 1.15%
A Place not Listed 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 10 days ago)

4,648 posts, read 4,484,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When it comes to Houston and Dallas, neither one is significantly higher than the other. Houston dominates Southeastern Texas. Dallas dominates North Texas. Neither city dominates Texas. Atlanta however could be argued that it dominates the entire Southeast region of the US. At the very least the ATL is the most powerful city in the Southeast.
Atlanta is more hemmed in than you seem to think. Charlotte to the east , Florida to the south Nashville to the north and nothing to the west that's "worth dominating" as you put it. And if you think either Houston's or DFW's influence stops at the Texas state line you are mistaken on that idea as well. Not to mention international consulates and things of that sort.

The attached poll is worthless at this point its obvious that C-Der's have once again ignored the OP and have turned this thread and poll into another popularity referendum.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Atlanta is more hemmed in than you seem to think. Charlotte to the east , Florida to the south Nashville to the north and nothing to the west that's "worth dominating" as you put it.
Atlanta is the largest metro within a 500 miles radius; it has a very wide swath of influence that cuts across several states, and also includes smaller metros like Charlotte and Nashville when it comes to bigger city type stuff. And not sure what "nothing to the west that's worth dominating" is supposed to mean.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Plus, all you see in Atlanta these days is TEXAS tags.
Yeah and there's probably lots of Georgia tags in Texas. What's your point?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
This has been done before. Atlanta has a large sphere of influence. It stops once you get west of say Jackson, Mississippi. There, the Texas cities start to take over. By the time you get to the Texas-Louisiana border, Atlanta is non existent. However, Atlanta has a larger sphere in most of the South than Houston or Dallas does. I don't know how this in turn makes it the most powerful though. Probably helps but it isn't the be all when you add in other criteria.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 PM

1,043 posts, read 799,852 times
The only way Phoenix is part of "the South" is if you take a map of the lower 48, draw a line across it, then proclaim everything to the south of that line as "the South".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I wonder if the South will ever have a city that becomes "the city"?
You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Most regions have an alpha city, a city that stands well above the rest in clout, prestige, culture, size, and economics. The South doesn't have that. You have the big 4 (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami) that stand far above the rest of the region, but among them, there's no real "alpha city". There are areas where one of those cities stands above the others, but they're all relatively neck and neck.

Just look at C-D. Even this site can't agree on which of these four cities stands above the rest; we always fall back on the same tired arguments like shopping malls, flag carriers, tree cover, and diversity in the thousands of topics on this very subject*. Polls always fall back on Atlanta - whether for popularity reasons or "Texas/Florida isn't the South" syndrome - but the actual "discussion" shows a level of indecision unique to the South. You don't see that when discussing the Midwest (Chicago) and the Northeast (NYC), and the Western alpha discussion is limited to just two cities (LA and SF).

Short of some major natural disaster, like a category 5 hurricane hitting Miami or an EF5 tornado hitting Dallas, I don't see this state of affairs changing to say the least.

* Look, some of the posts above me are about LICENSE PLATES! Need I say more about how far people will go to see which of the Big 4 is "superior"?

- skbl17

Old 09-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta is the largest metro within a 500 miles radius; it has a very wide swath of influence that cuts across several states, and also includes smaller metros like Charlotte and Nashville when it comes to bigger city type stuff. And not sure what "nothing to the west that's worth dominating" is supposed to mean.
I would like to hear somebody from North Carolina or Nashville say that Atlanta dominates them and then maybe I will believe it. As far as what's west of Atlanta there are no major MSA"S west of Atlanta until you get to Texas. Houston is 696 miles west southwest, and DFW is 732 miles west, and if you think Atlanta "dominates" everything all the way to Texas then you are sadly mistaken. I also doubt any sphere of influence is precisely concentric..

Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I would like to hear somebody from North Carolina or Nashville say that Atlanta dominates them and then maybe I will believe it.
I never said anything about dominating; I said influence, and yes Atlanta's influence extends to NC and TN. I'm a former resident of both Charlotte and Atlanta.

Quote:
As far as what's west of Atlanta there are no major MSA"S west of Atlanta until you get to Texas. Houston is 696 miles west southwest, and DFW is 732 miles west, and if you think Atlanta "dominates" everything all the way to Texas then you are sadly mistaken. I also doubt any sphere of influence is precisely concentric..
Again, I never said anything about dominating, and I already said that Atlanta has such a broad sphere of influence precisely because there are no other very large metros nearby; that's the whole point. And I also said nothing about Atlanta's "dominating" anything all the way to Texas.

You're making up stuff that I never said or even implied.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:21 PM

152 posts, read 114,979 times
I always question the belief that Atlanta is the most Influential city in the South. Atlanta did not experience the desegregation turmoil and wide spread turbulence during the 60's and 70's that the rest of the South did. In fact, Atlanta showed no influence of any of the South whatsoever over the rest of the South as governors barred black collegiate students and riots ensued from desegregation.

Whatever power or influence Atlanta had apparently did not extend past its city limits.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:32 PM

2,058 posts, read 2,830,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
The only way Phoenix is part of "the South" is if you take a map of the lower 48, draw a line across it, then proclaim everything to the south of that line as "the South".

You hit the nail on the head with this post.

Most regions have an alpha city, a city that stands well above the rest in clout, prestige, culture, size, and economics. The South doesn't have that. You have the big 4 (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami) that stand far above the rest of the region, but among them, there's no real "alpha city". There are areas where one of those cities stands above the others, but they're all relatively neck and neck.

Just look at C-D. Even this site can't agree on which of these four cities stands above the rest; we always fall back on the same tired arguments like shopping malls, flag carriers, tree cover, and diversity in the thousands of topics on this very subject*. Polls always fall back on Atlanta - whether for popularity reasons or "Texas/Florida isn't the South" syndrome - but the actual "discussion" shows a level of indecision unique to the South. You don't see that when discussing the Midwest (Chicago) and the Northeast (NYC), and the Western alpha discussion is limited to just two cities (LA and SF).

Short of some major natural disaster, like a category 5 hurricane hitting Miami or an EF5 tornado hitting Dallas, I don't see this state of affairs changing to say the least.

* Look, some of the posts above me are about LICENSE PLATES! Need I say more about how far people will go to see which of the Big 4 is "superior"?

- skbl17
This/Thread!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said anything about dominating; I said influence, and yes Atlanta's influence extends to NC and TN. I'm a former resident of both Charlotte and Atlanta.

Again, I never said anything about dominating, and I already said that Atlanta has such a broad sphere of influence precisely because there are no other very large metros nearby; that's the whole point. And I also said nothing about Atlanta's "dominating" anything all the way to Texas.

You're making up stuff that I never said or even implied.
You replied to a reply I made to gwillyfromphilly who did use the term "dominate". Maybe you should have disclaimed that part of Gwilly's post in your reply to me.

OK I will accept that Atlanta has influence that extends far from its core but certainly not more than Houston or even DFW. In fact I will say here and now that decisions made in Houston and DFW, have a far greater impact on Atlanta than vice versa. Do you dispute that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or