U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,873 posts, read 4,517,341 times
Reputation: 2201

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Not at all. I think you meant to say Pittsburgh is a more middle class city, while proportionally, Philadelphia has more lower class or poor. I respect Pittsburgh a lot but there is more wealth in Center City than the entirety of Pittsburgh. That's not including Lower North (Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden) West Philly (UCity, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park), South Philly (Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital) and Northwest Philly (West Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk).

Philadelphia is a larger city. There's going to be more wealth in both suburbs and city limits.

How many homes are selling in the city limits of Pittsburgh for $1 mill plus? Very few. How many condo towers filled with million plus units or under construction? None.

The Philadelphia you knew from two years ago is not even the same city. Philadelphia county will overtake Pittsburgh city in median household income by 2020.

Philadelphia:
Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives
That was a silly argument to say that Pittsburgh is a wealthier city. Pittsburgh is very middle class. While Philadelphia has more impoverished neighborhoods, Center City alone outweighs all of Pittsburgh.

Its proven that the vast majority of the states economy and money comes out of our 5 county SE PA region.

Pittsburgh is a pretty city, but if you looking at this debate in a economic and power way it is no contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM
 
8,219 posts, read 4,414,931 times
Reputation: 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Everyone that knows me know that I love my adopted hometown of Philly and I'm a "Philly Booster." I can go on and on about how great our museums and cultural institutions are; how fine our restaurant scene is; how important our history is; the abundance of our architectural treasures; etc. etc.

However, in my view Pittsburgh is a more beautiful city. The 'Burgh has several neighborhoods that are equal or superior in charm to our Manayunk. The hills, the greenery, the streetscapes, the mountains, even the rivers ... in my opinion surpass in beauty what Philadelphia has.
Certainly agree with you about the beauty of its location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 11:47 AM
 
8,219 posts, read 4,414,931 times
Reputation: 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Not at all. I think you meant to say Pittsburgh is a more middle class city, while proportionally, Philadelphia has more lower class or poor. I respect Pittsburgh a lot but there is more wealth in Center City than the entirety of Pittsburgh. That's not including Lower North (Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden) West Philly (UCity, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park), South Philly (Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital) and Northwest Philly (West Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk).

Philadelphia is a larger city. There's going to be more wealth in both suburbs and city limits.

How many homes are selling in the city limits of Pittsburgh for $1 mill plus? Very few. How many condo towers filled with million plus units or under construction? None.

The Philadelphia you knew from two years ago is not even the same city. Philadelphia county will overtake Pittsburgh city in median household income by 2020.

Philadelphia:
Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives
Additionally I read recently that the number of New Yorkers moving to Philly is now more than Philly-ites moving to NYC. That's probably a factor wrt wealth here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 11:50 AM
 
8,219 posts, read 4,414,931 times
Reputation: 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That was a silly argument to say that Pittsburgh is a wealthier city. Pittsburgh is very middle class. While Philadelphia has more impoverished neighborhoods, Center City alone outweighs all of Pittsburgh.

Its proven that the vast majority of the states economy and money comes out of our 5 county SE PA region.

Pittsburgh is a pretty city, but if you looking at this debate in a economic and power way it is no contest.
That is what I, personally, find infuriating about how Harrisburg treats the Phila. area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 01:44 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,873 posts, read 4,517,341 times
Reputation: 2201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That is what I, personally, find infuriating about how Harrisburg treats the Phila. area.
Because to them we are all liberals on welfare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 PM
 
8,219 posts, read 4,414,931 times
Reputation: 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Because to them we are all liberals on welfare
We also helped a certain black guy become POTUS not once but twice. Rest-assured they positively hate us for that! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Philly
9,823 posts, read 13,576,781 times
Reputation: 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Not at all. I think you meant to say Pittsburgh is a more middle class city, while proportionally, Philadelphia has more lower class or poor. I respect Pittsburgh a lot but there is more wealth in Center City than the entirety of Pittsburgh. That's not including Lower North (Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden) West Philly (UCity, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park), South Philly (Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital) and Northwest Philly (West Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk).

Philadelphia is a larger city. There's going to be more wealth in both suburbs and city limits.

How many homes are selling in the city limits of Pittsburgh for $1 mill plus? Very few. How many condo towers filled with million plus units or under construction? None.

The Philadelphia you knew from two years ago is not even the same city. Philadelphia county will overtake Pittsburgh city in median household income by 2020.

Philadelphia:
Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives
Pittsburgh has typically had lower income but income growth has actually been strong there. It is also changing, that's life. I'm a little confused as to whether it's a useful debate. Philadelphia is bigger, pittsburgh is smaller. the climates are not drastically different. .they are both river cities, hot and humid summers, cool winters. Pittsburgh is cooler but I'd reserve drastically different for Florida or Nevada or even Maine. While it's true sepa accounts for a large share of the state's economy it doesn't account for all of it and pittsburgh/allegheny county is a big piece of it. It's no more intelligent to view philly as the only part of the state as it is to view it as a welfare pot. It's great we voted for Obama but we also mindlessly vote for Democrats and people like Chama fattah (not that pittsburgh is different in that respect)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,583 posts, read 11,781,595 times
Reputation: 15401
Famous sayings about Pennsylvania ...

"There's Philly in the east, the 'Burgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle."

(It's totally bogus and untrue BTW)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM
 
Location: NYC
3,246 posts, read 4,553,094 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Famous sayings about Pennsylvania ...

"There's Philly in the east, the 'Burgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle."

(It's totally bogus and untrue BTW)
Granted, a recent mayor of York, PA (right in the middle) was a Klan member....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2015, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Philly
9,823 posts, read 13,576,781 times
Reputation: 2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Granted, a recent mayor of York, PA (right in the middle) was a Klan member....
Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top