U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA 84 59.15%
Buffalo, NY 61 42.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 AM

52,876 posts, read 75,912,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That's a huge plus to Buffalo and probably the tie-breaker for me. Richmond has almost no small urban villages outside of the core area. People will say Ashland, but it's extremely small/quiet and it is the only example that I can think of. Outside of the core and the streetcar suburbs, Richmond is very very sprawly.

And for the record, Short Pump is not what I'm talking about. Those "walkable" developments next to Whole Foods are mostly just a facade for autocentric living.
I agree and this isn't so much a thing against Richmond specifically, but people don't think about this is regards to metros up here. You have alternative, small villages or cities you can go to that have legitimate walkability and even things to do. For instance, Lewiston, which is just north of Niagara Falls has ArtPark and Lockport, a snail city in Niagara County, has Erie Canal Cruises. So, if you don't want a big(ger) city, you have smaller alternatives for walkability and things to do. This doesn't include the village of Kenmore, which is in the top 100 in population density in the US in terms of incorporated communities.

With Buffalo, you do have an underrated arts scene, including Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Good point about its parks system.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-16-2016 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 AM

5,157 posts, read 5,014,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree and this isn't so much a thing against Richmond specifically, but people don't think about this is regards to metros up here. You have alternative, small villages or cities you can go to that have legitimate walkability and even things to do. For instance, Lewiston, which is just north of Niagara Falls has ArtPark and Lockport, a snail city in Niagara County, has Erie Canal Cruises. So, if you don't want a big(ger) city, you have smaller alternatives for walkability and things to do.

With Buffalo, you do have an underrated arts scene, including Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Good point about its parks system.
The parks system is severely underrated. Olmstead parks are a gem. Richmond has some truly great parks, but they aren't as refined as in Buffalo IMO. Richmond has Belle Isle and some other outdoorsy parks, but Buffalo excels in urban parks and design thanks to Olmstead and Vaux.

Many people overlook the canal towns of Western NY. Same in Rochester (Brockport, Spencerport, Pittsford). It's kind of a trade-off for me because I prefer living in an urban neighborhood. Richmond's Fan District, Museum District, Church Hill, Jackson Ward neighborhoods can't really be matched in Buffalo. But Buffalo has the better metro IMO. And that's not to say Buffalo doesn't have some great urban neighborhoods. They're just not quite as walkable and connected as in Richmond.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The parks system is severely underrated. Olmstead parks are a gem. Richmond has some truly great parks, but they aren't as refined as in Buffalo IMO. Richmond has Belle Isle and some other outdoorsy parks, but Buffalo excels in urban parks and design thanks to Olmstead and Vaux.

Many people overlook the canal towns of Western NY. Same in Rochester (Brockport, Spencerport, Pittsford). It's kind of a trade-off for me because I prefer living in an urban neighborhood. Richmond's Fan District, Museum District, Church Hill, Jackson Ward neighborhoods can't really be matched in Buffalo. But Buffalo has the better metro IMO. And that's not to say Buffalo doesn't have some great urban neighborhoods. They're just not quite as walkable and connected as in Richmond.

Just my 2 cents.
I actually agree with the lack of connectivity between the walkable, vibrant neighborhoods in Buffalo outside of maybe the Elmwood Village/Allentown/Chippewa Street area of Downtown portion of the city. Hertel Ave's vibrant area has some separation from Elmwood Village. Parts of South Buffalo, parts of the East Side close to Main Street and the University neighborhoods are more scattered.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:15 PM

5,157 posts, read 5,014,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually agree with the lack of connectivity between the walkable, vibrant neighborhoods in Buffalo outside of maybe the Elmwood Village/Allentown/Chippewa Street area of Downtown portion of the city. Hertel Ave's vibrant area has some separation from Elmwood Village. Parts of South Buffalo, parts of the East Side close to Main Street and the University neighborhoods are more scattered.
Yeah, my wife used to live on Hertel when we first started dating. Cool area, but we did have to get a cab or drive when we went out to Elmwood. She still says that Hertel was her third favorite hood behind where (#1) we live now in South Philly, and (#2) The Fan in Richmond.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my wife used to live on Hertel when we first started dating. Cool area, but we did have to get a cab or drive when we went out to Elmwood. She still says that Hertel was her third favorite hood behind where (#1) we live now in South Philly, and (#2) The Fan in Richmond.
Yeah, it seems to get somewhat lost in the shuffle, but it offers quite a bit. HertelAvenue.com - Hertel Avenue Buffalo NY - Stores, Restaurants, Night Clubs, Services, Business

Old 05-21-2017, 07:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 2,283,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Okay here's perhaps a better comparison. I figured I'd go with two cities that fall under the category of "surprisingly punch above their weight", but often go unnoticed.

Buffalo has a slightly larger population with a slightly smaller metro.

I have a good friend who lives in Buffalo so I know it has a lot going for it, but in some of the areas I'm basically clueless.

Here are the categories:

1. Weather
2. Scenery
3. Amenities
4. Nightlife
5. Architecture
6. Economy/Cost of Living
7. Bonus: Add your own
Back in Buffalo for the first time in three years, so I have an updated comparison base!

1. Weather is in favor of Richmond, easily...

2. I think scenery is a draw. Neither city is especially scenic, though both have scenic views in some respect. I can definitely say overlooking the city is more pleasurable in Richmond than in Buffalo...

3. This is a very vast umbrella, but Buffalo offers the Lake and pro sports events over Richmond. Richmond probably takes everything else, or at worst, most everything else with some topics being a draw...

4. Nightlife is also relatively a draw. I do think Richmond's is a bit more diverse (Richmond has lounges, rooftop locales, and isn't as beer and bar-centric). I won't make a declaration, but my hunch is that Richmond has a slight advantage...

5. This can go either way based on personal preference. I prefer Richmond...

6. Well, the economy is doing much better in Richmond. It is cheaper to live in Buffalo...

7. My final takeaway is that though these cities are comparable in size (metro, UA, city), Richmond is playing in a bigger field. Richmond feels larger, dowmtown-to-downtown, and it's inner city neighborhoods are very much on scale, or slightly higher, than its Buffalo counterparts. Richmond is a healthier city, has a much more diverse personality. They ARE comparable.....but Buffalo is the lesser city...

Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM
BMI

6,534 posts, read 3,842,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Back in Buffalo for the first time in three years, so I have an updated comparison base!

1. Weather is in favor of Richmond, easily...

2. I think scenery is a draw. Neither city is especially scenic, though both have scenic views in some respect. I can definitely say overlooking the city is more pleasurable in Richmond than in Buffalo...

3. This is a very vast umbrella, but Buffalo offers the Lake and pro sports events over Richmond. Richmond probably takes everything else, or at worst, most everything else with some topics being a draw...

4. Nightlife is also relatively a draw. I do think Richmond's is a bit more diverse (Richmond has lounges, rooftop locales, and isn't as beer and bar-centric). I won't make a declaration, but my hunch is that Richmond has a slight advantage...

5. This can go either way based on personal preference. I prefer Richmond...

6. Well, the economy is doing much better in Richmond. It is cheaper to live in Buffalo...

7. My final takeaway is that though these cities are comparable in size (metro, UA, city), Richmond is playing in a bigger field. Richmond feels larger, dowmtown-to-downtown, and it's inner city neighborhoods are very much on scale, or slightly higher, than its Buffalo counterparts. Richmond is a healthier city, has a much more diverse personality. They ARE comparable.....but Buffalo is the lesser city...
Pretty good balanced post but don't forget Buffalo has Niagara Falls next door, always a fun place,
and Canada at it's door step (Toronto is only about 90 mins away), I know Richmond has DC and
Virginia Beach at similar distances, which is good too.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 4,458,567 times
High humidity in Richmond versus colder weather

Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,121,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
High humidity in Richmond versus colder weather
I don't see how anyone could argue that Buffalo has a better climate than Richmond. Richmond isn't that bad in the summer and still has 4 seasons, it can get snow in the winter and has nice springs and falls. Buffalo is bitterly cold and nasty for at least 5 months out of the year and frequently cloudy and/or rainy the rest. I know preferences exist but c'mon.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I don't see how anyone could argue that Buffalo has a better climate than Richmond. Richmond isn't that bad in the summer and still has 4 seasons, it can get snow in the winter and has nice springs and falls. Buffalo is bitterly cold and nasty for at least 5 months out of the year and frequently cloudy and/or rainy the rest. I know preferences exist but c'mon.
I wouldn't go that far in terms of Buffalo's weather. Summers can be quite nice, with highs rarely going over 90 and the Fall is very nice. I say to expect snow from around late November to mid March or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or