Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA 105 58.01%
Buffalo, NY 80 44.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're right, I'd say location is a tie. Toronto=DC, in my book, when talking about access to a larger city. Richmond is equidistant from the mountains and the beaches of the Atlantic, while Buffalo has the Lake, the Falls, and everything else Canada can offer. I will say, as far as closeness to other urban areas, Richmond's proximity to urban Hampton Roads is better than Buffalo's to Rochester, and I also think the deep history of Tidewater, Virginia may be an advantage Richmond has. Overall, though, location could be even...

I'd forgotten about Allentown, but the sheer volume of nightlife in Richmond, by comparison, kills Buffalo. Downtown Rich is popping and very active in the evenings and late nights, and the peripheral neighborhoods are collectively more vibrant than anything I say in Buffalo...
All subjective preferences, but I'd take Toronto every day of the week and twice on Sundays over DC. Toronto is a huge, amazingly dynamic city. DC has a lot to offer, but definitely not on the same level IMO.

I do agree that the VA coast and the Hampton Roads area trumps Rochester. I do prefer Buffalo's nightlife over Richmond's however. I find Richmond lacking, and I've lived downtown and in The Fan. It's definitely more connected, but Buffalo is wilder by a mile IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 03:00 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
You're right, I'd say location is a tie. Toronto=DC, in my book, when talking about access to a larger city. Richmond is equidistant from the mountains and the beaches of the Atlantic, while Buffalo has the Lake, the Falls, and everything else Canada can offer. I will say, as far as closeness to other urban areas, Richmond's proximity to urban Hampton Roads is better than Buffalo's to Rochester, and I also think the deep history of Tidewater, Virginia may be an advantage Richmond has. Overall, though, location could be even...

I'd forgotten about Allentown, but the sheer volume of nightlife in Richmond, by comparison, kills Buffalo. Downtown Rich is popping and very active in the evenings and late nights, and the peripheral neighborhoods are collectively more vibrant than anything I say in Buffalo...
Hamilton ON and Syracuse also within/about 2 hours from Buffalo as well. Not that they are major, but they offer a bit in terms of urbanity and some nightlife. Main Street in Buffalo has some spots as well.

Richmond does have the beach/mountain access advantage and it is older in terms of character.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,654 times
Most certainly Richmond.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
All subjective preferences, but I'd take Toronto every day of the week and twice on Sundays over DC. Toronto is a huge, amazingly dynamic city. DC has a lot to offer, but definitely not on the same level IMO.

I do agree that the VA coast and the Hampton Roads area trumps Rochester. I do prefer Buffalo's nightlife over Richmond's however. I find Richmond lacking, and I've lived downtown and in The Fan. It's definitely more connected, but Buffalo is wilder by a mile IMO.
I agree.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Aside from actually going to the beach, there is no reason to go to Hampton Roads from Richmond. Turano trumps DC, soBuffalo wins on proximity to other cities. It should also be mentioned that Buffalo is only 90 minutes from Toronto. Richmonders will tell you DC is only 2 hours away, but unless they leave at the crack of dawn, no one has made that trip in under 2.5 hours in the 21st century.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 AM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Aside from actually going to the beach, there is no reason to go to Hampton Roads from Richmond. Turano trumps DC, soBuffalo wins on proximity to other cities. It should also be mentioned that Buffalo is only 90 minutes from Toronto. Richmonders will tell you DC is only 2 hours away, but unless they leave at the crack of dawn, no one has made that trip in under 2.5 hours in the 21st century.
The standard RVA-DC trip is 90 minutes. While the worst I've endured is 4 hours, that's a rarity. This morning, which is kinda a holiday (Happy Mother's Day to mothers!, the estimated travel time is 1hr45m.

Why so down on Richmond/VA? HR is right next door to Richmond and there are plenty of work/play reasons to go to there. I had to go to Chesapeake earlier this week for business. A lot of folks working in both areas live in Williamsburg 32 minutes away from Downtown Richmond, which is especially great for people who live in New Kent and Charles City. Meanwhile its outlets are fantastic.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What are you talking about? I went to DC (Washington City) last month and it took a little under 90 minutes...

Point stands that proximity to major cities is a draw. While I recognize that many people prefer Toronto, this is a draw at worst. I've met many Canadians who were enamored with Washington but were so-so for Toronto, and living in Upstate New York knew people there as well who hadn't even been to Washington but desired to go. You prefer Toronto, I prefer DC, but proximity to both is a literal draw. The same quality of life and amenities can be found in both cities...

Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I went to DC (Washington City) last month and it took a little under 90 minutes...

Point stands that proximity to major cities is a draw. While I recognize that many people prefer Toronto, this is a draw at worst. I've met many Canadians who were enamored with Washington but were so-so for Toronto, and living in Upstate New York knew people there as well who hadn't even been to Washington but desired to go. You prefer Toronto, I prefer DC, but proximity to both is a literal draw. The same quality of life and amenities can be found in both cities...
You also can't discount the hassle of crossing the border to drive to Toronto. That can add quite a bit of time to your trip.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
You also can't discount the hassle of crossing the border to drive to Toronto. That can add quite a bit of time to your trip.
That is true and does have to be considered. You need a passport or an enhanced drivers license. With that said it is 99 miles from Buffalo to Toronto. So, even with the crossing and traffic considerations, that will still be no more than a 2 hour trip. There are multiple crossings at Buffalo and Niagara Falls as well.

You can get radio stations from both Toronto and Buffalo from around Niagara Falls to about Hamilton. You can get your standard American urban stations from Buffalo(there's 3), but you may also get Canadian urban stations(about 2 or 3) with a more Caribbean vibe in parts of the Buffalo metro into southern Ontario. Like I mentioned in another thread, WBLK, an urban station in Buffalo used to do a Live to Air broadcast from a club in Hamilton until 4 years ago. So, the nightlife aspect can cross borders.

Richmond to DC is 109 miles. So, there isn't a big difference.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is true and does have to be considered. You need a passport or an enhanced drivers license. With that said it is 99 miles from Buffalo to Toronto. So, even with the crossing and traffic considerations, that will still be no more than a 2 hour trip. There are multiple crossings at Buffalo and Niagara Falls as well.

You can get radio stations from both Toronto and Buffalo from around Niagara Falls to about Hamilton. You can get your standard American urban stations from Buffalo(there's 3), but you may also get Canadian urban stations(about 2 or 3) with a more Caribbean vibe in parts of the Buffalo metro into southern Ontario. Like I mentioned in another thread, WBLK, an urban station in Buffalo used to do a Live to Air broadcast from a club in Hamilton until 4 years ago. So, the nightlife aspect can cross borders.

Richmond to DC is 109 miles. So, there isn't a big difference.
Yeah, however, the Peace Bridge can be terribly backed up at times, so that can really be a wildcard. Is the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls a better option? The highway traffic is probably equally bad in both D.C. and Toronto. I still suspect that the drive from Richmond to D.C. is slightly less of a hassle than Buffalo to Toronto when the border crossing is taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City