U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA vs Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA 84 59.15%
Buffalo, NY 61 42.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times

Advertisements

Okay here's perhaps a better comparison. I figured I'd go with two cities that fall under the category of "surprisingly punch above their weight", but often go unnoticed.

Buffalo has a slightly larger population with a slightly smaller metro.

I have a good friend who lives in Buffalo so I know it has a lot going for it, but in some of the areas I'm basically clueless.

Here are the categories:

1. Weather
2. Scenery
3. Amenities
4. Nightlife
5. Architecture
6. Economy/Cost of Living
7. Bonus: Add your own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 AM

975 posts, read 806,925 times
This strikes me as a very good comparison. I've never been to Richmond, but I've heard excellent things about its downtown and overall urbanity. I won't vote since I haven't visited Richmond yet, but I'll add some thoughts about the categories for Buffalo (full disclosure: it's my hometown).

1. Weather - Buffalo is practically idyllic in the summer (typical summer day is high 70s/low 80s). Winters are rough (duh) but not always as snowy as its reputation. The last two winters were particularly brutal - both frigid and snowier than usual.

2. Scenery - wonderful water features in Buffalo. The city is located at the confluence of Lake Erie and the Niagara River. It's also close to Lake Ontario, the beautiful Finger Lakes and the scenic village of Lewiston ( located along the Niagara gorge and renowned for its festivals, Art Park amphitheater and many restaurants). The Southtowns of Buffalo are hilly and offer skiing. Of course, Niagara Falls is close by as well.

3. Amenities - tons of great mom & pop restaurants and a growing gastropub/craft brewery scene. The waterfront is undergoing a major revitalization (finally!) with mixed-use projects and the creation of new parks along the waterfront.

4. Nightlife - Elmwood Avenue/Allentown have a great mix of bars and restaurants. And, unlike some nightlife districts in other cities, these areas aren't dead during the day - there are many boutique stores, galleries, coffee shops, etc.

5. Architecture - Buffalo has some of the best "classic" skyscraper architecture for a city of its size. The New York Times has written feature articles about Buffalo's excellent skyscraper architecture.

6. Economy/Cost of Living - This is a downside. Job market isn't great, and New York State taxes are high.

7. Bonus - Buffalo has the best grocery chain in the U.S. (Wegmans) and the Disneyland of liquor stores - Premier. Seriously, that place is as big as some grocery stores.

Buffalo doesn't get much love in C-D polls so it will no doubt lose, but I think its reputation is on the rise.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 09-07-2015 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: added a couple items

Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 PM

815 posts, read 663,059 times
I think Buffalo is very pretty. The parks and neighborhoods are very nice, the downtown legit.

Wegmans is currently building two stores in Richmond. We are very excited about it too.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Buffalo doesn't get much love in C-D polls so it will no doubt lose, but I think its reputation is on the rise.
Strange. It seems like exactly the type of place CD people would like.

Good stuff.

How does the 4am last call factor into it?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 AM

215 posts, read 285,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Strange. It seems like exactly the type of place CD people would like.
Oh hell no!! It gets so much crap here! Buffalo has been going through a huge renaissance but you cannot tell that to the posters at C-D. Buffalo/Pittsburgh and Cleveland are often considered peer cities, and while Cleveland and Pittsburgh are considered "real" cities here, Buffalo, though having professional sports teams, name recognition etc etc is ignored and people here say NYC is the only city in the state of New York and that it rivals Illinois/Georgia I could go on and on, but yeah, Buffalo gets a lot of crap here so I know how the poll will skew if Buffalo is in a poll.

Maybe a Buffalo vs Buffalo poll would do? Oooohh I wonder who would lose?

Anyway, I have never been to Richmond but from what I have heard and seen it seems like a good comparison.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Oh hell no!! It gets so much crap here! Buffalo has been going through a huge renaissance but you cannot tell that to the posters at C-D. Buffalo/Pittsburgh and Cleveland are often considered peer cities, and while Cleveland and Pittsburgh are considered "real" cities here, Buffalo, though having professional sports teams, name recognition etc etc is ignored and people here say NYC is the only city in the state of New York and that it rivals Illinois/Georgia I could go on and on, but yeah, Buffalo gets a lot of crap here so I know how the poll will skew if Buffalo is in a poll.

Maybe a Buffalo vs Buffalo poll would do? Oooohh I wonder who would lose?

Anyway, I have never been to Richmond but from what I have heard and seen it seems like a good comparison.
Going by the lack of posts and the poll looks like you're right. Strange. Yet, Madison and say Nashville seem to be very popular here.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 PM

815 posts, read 663,059 times
https://youtu.be/76xarOsu6Ig

I'm a Richmond resident with a crush on Buffalo. I've only been twice and only in the summer but I really like the city. Here is a great video of the beautiful neighborhoods and parks there. I love the classic layout of the neighborhoods.

What I like about Richmond I also like about Buffalo. Both are laid out like big cities but are on a small scale. Sometimes in Richmond (particularly in the fall) I feel like I'm living in a model train town. Everything is on a 3/4 scale and you can enjoy the amenities of a large city without the ugliness of the infrastructure necessary to support a large city. So much of what people like about Richmond would be leveled to build the roads necessary to move people into and out of downtown if downtown were say the size of Denver. The streets would have to be widened. Neighborhoods would be turned into interstate interchanges (of course these things exist but they cannot move the volume of traffic that a downtown workforce of 200K would generate...the current downtown workforce is around 80K).

So I picked Richmond though. Overall better economy and weather. But I think I'd be happy in Buffalo and day trips to Toronto would be amazing (the two times I've been to Buffalo I was driving to Toronto).

Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
What I like about Richmond I also like about Buffalo. Both are laid out like big cities but are on a small scale. Sometimes in Richmond (particularly in the fall) I feel like I'm living in a model train town. Everything is on a 3/4 scale and you can enjoy the amenities of a large city without the ugliness of the infrastructure necessary to support a large city. So much of what people like about Richmond would be leveled to build the roads necessary to move people into and out of downtown if downtown were say the size of Denver.

So I picked Richmond though. Overall better economy and weather. But I think I'd be happy in Buffalo and day trips to Toronto would be amazing (the two times I've been to Buffalo I was driving to Toronto).
Yeah, same. I'm not sure if many people get the increased complexities that come with size. Yeah, more to do, but takes longer to go do it so at the end of the day you might actually be able to experience less.

As far as Canada goes I've always wanted to live in Montreal, but when I looked into it the process was too much of a headache.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 AM

215 posts, read 285,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Going by the lack of posts and the poll looks like you're right. Strange. Yet, Madison and say Nashville seem to be very popular here.
I really think a lot of people here have never stepped foot in the city of Buffalo and just fall on things they have heard/stereotypes. There is a lot of ignorance when it comes to Buffalo and yet at the same time, if they have never actually been here they probably don't really know what to say

Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 AM

27,723 posts, read 24,737,149 times
I choose Richmond for weather alone. I'd shoot myself if I had to deal with Buffalo's winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or