U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 PM

15 posts, read 24,358 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the input, guys! I hadn't checked this in a while because it kind of died when I posted it, but since posting I've spent a week in ATL and CLT...

ATL definitely felt like it had a little more soul to me, and I like all the amenities that it offers in terms of shopping/restaurants/etc, but I was worried about safety, and it being a pretty big party city (I'm really not that into nightlife/getting black out drunk, etc).

CLT felt comfortable, affordable, and low-key, but admittedly less exciting and I'm definitely a little worried about the religious culture. I don't have anything against religion, but I wasn't raised in a church-going family and don't really see making religion a part of my life at this point. I don't want to ostracize myself because of that, I'd rather be somewhere where I'm around more people like myself I guess?

Haven't had the time to visit Nashville yet, will I find that even more religious than CLT? Or any feedback on my first (and probably ignorant) assumptions? Was also considering throwing Chicago in the mix, possibly.

Thank you everyone !
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM

27,722 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairea86 View Post
Thanks for all the input, guys! I hadn't checked this in a while because it kind of died when I posted it, but since posting I've spent a week in ATL and CLT...

ATL definitely felt like it had a little more soul to me, and I like all the amenities that it offers in terms of shopping/restaurants/etc, but I was worried about safety, and it being a pretty big party city (I'm really not that into nightlife/getting black out drunk, etc).

CLT felt comfortable, affordable, and low-key, but admittedly less exciting and I'm definitely a little worried about the religious culture. I don't have anything against religion, but I wasn't raised in a church-going family and don't really see making religion a part of my life at this point. I don't want to ostracize myself because of that, I'd rather be somewhere where I'm around more people like myself I guess?

Haven't had the time to visit Nashville yet, will I find that even more religious than CLT? Or any feedback on my first (and probably ignorant) assumptions? Was also considering throwing Chicago in the mix, possibly.

Thank you everyone !
Atlanta has a healthy nightlife scene but I wouldn't call it a "pretty big party city" along the lines of NOLA or anything. If you don't want to party, you don't have to; there are plenty of other low-key nightlife options available. In terms of safety, it all boils down to where you live for the most part.

As far as Charlotte goes, what do you mean by "the religious culture"? And if you don't want to attend church, nobody will make you. You may get questions in any of these three cities about where you attend church, and if you just say you don't go to church, nobody will make a big deal out of it. And it can be as much of a social question than a strict religious question.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM

15 posts, read 24,358 times
I didn't think anyone would force me to attend church or anything, I'm sure everyone is super welcoming and accepting! I just meant that I don't want to have issues making friends or fitting in because I'm in the minority that doesn't attend church on sunday, or something. Kind of de facto not fitting in just because I choose not to participate, not because of anything anyone says or does to me about it.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:44 PM

27,722 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairea86 View Post
I didn't think anyone would force me to attend church or anything, I'm sure everyone is super welcoming and accepting! I just meant that I don't want to have issues making friends or fitting in because I'm in the minority that doesn't attend church on sunday, or something. Kind of de facto not fitting in just because I choose not to participate, not because of anything anyone says or does to me about it.
That's nothing to worry about.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,362,926 times
A lot of people tend to associate with people of similar beliefs. Of course, you can't always help that where you work, but most work environments are diverse enough where that isn't an issue (especially with larger companies).

Fwiw, I have plenty of friends that are very religious and very non-religious as well as some that I would call socially or habitually religious. I've never had an issue navigating between them. I would just avoid the crowds that feel that your individual beliefs must conform to theirs.

None of these cities are so homogeneous that you couldn't fit in.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,239 times
I keep reading about how people think some how religion is going to be a issue in the south and I just don't see how so many think it's going to be some big deal. I don't know if it's just tv amplifying certain ideas, but really, a lot of people in the south like minding their own business, and are not going to go out of their way to get in yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or