U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 141 76.63%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.07%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.24%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.63%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 AM
 
53 posts, read 19,078 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well that's you. I and plenty of other people have absolutely no problem using that term to refer to the last set of cities. Everyone doesn't think like you and you shouldn't assume that everyone does.

I never said Jacksonville is the most Southern city out there, but it's a Southern city.

A city that doesn't even identify with being Southern would have never chosen that as a nickname; that's my only point. You're trying to make this about "degrees" of Southernness which is a strawman.

Thank you for reiterating my point that Southern culture is not monolithic. Therefore, it's wholly possible for Jacksonville to be a Southern city within a Floridian context.

I said I wasn't even going to go down this road in discussing a city that's not part of the topic, but oh well. We'll see if the posts remain or the thread just gets locked.
This essential thread topic is about "degrees of southerness." Otherwise why are we ranking cities on a scale in terms of most to least southern?

I don't understand why people on these forums feel the need to label a place as southern, especially if they never lived or been to these places. Jax is Jax, Miami is Miami, Florida is Florida, Texas is Texas, DC is DC, etc. I see similar threads in regards to people claiming Missouri and Oklahoma as southern. It's quite ridiculous in my opinion. But to each his own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 AM
 
920 posts, read 440,165 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
This essential thread topic is about "degrees of southerness." Otherwise why are we ranking cities on a scale in terms of most to least southern?

I don't understand why people on these forums feel the need to label a place as southern, especially if they never lived or been to these places. Jax is Jax, Miami is Miami, Florida is Florida, Texas is Texas, DC is DC, etc. I see similar threads in regards to people claiming Missouri and Oklahoma as southern. It's quite ridiculous in my opinion. But to each his own I guess.
Geography, history, culture, climate, accent, cuisine, politics? What are we going by really when we label these things?

To me, because I have parents and relatives who grew up in other regions, people from TX and Ok comes across as Southern to me. I've been hitting up Central Florida for years and even though it's different from GA and VA on a whole I never felt I was in a different region like when I went to OH or NY. (Keep in mind that I'm stuck on geography above all else).

MD and DC is a mixed bag because it borders the Northeast and Southeast. It's its own state but it does have things in common with VA, WV, PA, and parts of DE.

I see we look at this differently and that's fine. You look at culture of a place in relation to mainstream stereotypical Southern culture and exclude certain areas while I look at the geographic definition and add. I do get what you are saying though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM
 
53 posts, read 19,078 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Geography, history, culture, climate, accent, cuisine, politics? What are we going by really when we label these things?

To me, because I have parents and relatives who grew up in other regions, people from TX and Ok comes across as Southern to me. I've been hitting up Central Florida for years and even though it's different from GA and VA on a whole I never felt I was in a different region like when I went to OH or NY. (Keep in mind that I'm stuck on geography above all else).

MD and DC is a mixed bag because it borders the Northeast and Southeast. It's its own state but it does have things in common with VA, WV, PA, and parts of DE.

I see we look at this differently and that's fine. You look at culture of a place in relation to mainstream stereotypical Southern culture and exclude certain areas while I look at the geographic definition and add. I do get what you are saying though.
Florida was the least populated state during the civil war. Much of Florida's growth and development occurred after the Civil War (with a huge development the last 50-60 years when AC became cheap and more efficient for homes). Unlike other southern states, it's rapid population growth was due to people hailing from the north, midwest, Cuba, and the Caribbean. As stated before, Miami and Palm Beach was established by business professionals from NY and OH in the 1890s.

These factors, along with the climate, make Florida culture very distinct and different from traditional southern culture IMO. Some people, like you, may just see it as adding to the already existing southern culture- that's fine I respect that viewpoint. It just get ticked when people say Florida has no culture or it's the exact same as traditional southern culture.

Oklahoma seems to be a similar boat with Florida with having southern ties and culture but it's also heavily influenced and mixed with culture of people from neighboring midwest/west states and Native Americans. However, I never lived or spent significant time in OK so I can't speak with merit on this.

Despite having similarities to traditional southern culture, Texas seems like it's own thing culturally. But again, I never lived there so I wouldn't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM
 
920 posts, read 440,165 times
Reputation: 895
One thing, I don't see these as adding to an already "Southern culture" like you think. Instead, I look at this individual culture as adding to the region it's in...Florida can't really claim to be Northeastern or Midwestern despite the transient population....because it doesn't reside in those regions. Different built environment, weather, histories, etc.

I'm just clearing things up. Me: geographical region of state plus culture(s) of state. I then conclude that the region has a lot of cultures. Kind of back to the point you made of the South not being monolithic but I'm off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
639 posts, read 740,905 times
Reputation: 448
I see a lot of threads/polls on city-data about which cities are more southern, but I don't recall seeing many threads/polls about which cities are more northern. Or maybe I missed those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 03:38 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,459 posts, read 1,043,086 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I see a lot of threads/polls on city-data about which cities are more southern, but I don't recall seeing many threads/polls about which cities are more northern. Or maybe I missed those?
Degrees of "Southerness" is a myth perpetuated by those who want to distance themselves from the region thanks to the association with slavery/segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 03:40 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,914,133 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Degrees of "Southerness" is a myth perpetuated by those who want to distance themselves from the region thanks to the association with slavery/segregation.
Correct and people also want to distance themselves with current day Southern stereotypes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,645 posts, read 3,015,634 times
Reputation: 3862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Correct and people also want to distance themselves with current day Southern stereotypes as well.
And those would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,901 posts, read 32,901,196 times
Reputation: 12552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And those would be?
Don't ask, I'm not sure I could stomach the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:40 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,914,133 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And those would be?
Just Google it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top