U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 141 76.63%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.07%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.24%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.63%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:56 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
To me, for one thing, people who are from other parts of the country who move to Houston tend to adapt to Houston and Gulf culture, whereas the people who have been moving to Dallas seem to be trying to turn Dallas into the places they moved from (especially the Californians). And like I said before, that mostly probably has to do with the fact that most Houston transplants tend to come from other parts of the South versus the droves of Californians and all of the other people from other non-Southern regions of the U.S., who are very obviously moving to and very rapidly changing the culture of Dallas.
There is sooooo much truth to what you just said. I say that as a Californian who moved to Dallas and lived there for 6 years.

Houston's culture is more defined where it cant really be changed. Dallas culture is more maliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,805,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
While this isn't directly tied to culture nor is it a trait it has in common with Atlanta, I think Houston's Gulf Coast topography evokes more Southern imagery than Dallas's location in the Plains. I also think Houston having larger Black/HBCU populations has something to do with it. Also Houston's status as a center for Southern hip hop would be a defining factor.
Well, the only "Plains" that Dallas belongs to is the Gulf Coastal Plain. In fact, the biggest difference between the flora there and in Houston is the loblolly pines that are dominant in the latter. Both cities have oaks and cypress that are typical of the southern landscape. There's even Spanish moss in parts of DFW. Alligators as well.

The Black/HBCU population would possibly make DC more or atleast just as southern as Dallas, wouldn't it? And Miami was one of the first cities to become a center for hip hop; before Atlanta or Houston.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
There is sooooo much truth to what you just said. I say that as a Californian who moved to Dallas and lived there for 6 years.

Houston's culture is more defined where it cant really be changed. Dallas culture is more maliable.
Perhaps, but the exact same thing is often said about Atlanta. Many Georgians despise the city because they feel it is being shaped too much by outside influences. Yet another thing Dallas and Atlanta share.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Dallas and Atlanta both share in common:

- Latitude; nearly identical.

- Logistics; both are major hub airports with similar O&D numbers and overall scope of world destinations. (Like Chicago)

- Similarly diverse economies with likely similar breakdown industry-by-industry size and scope (like Chicago).

- Both are southwest of major mountain ranges; Atlanta the Chattahoochee, Dallas the Ouachitas.

- Both areas were primarily settled by similar Native American tribes, in fact the Trail of Tears was largely displaced Natives from Cherokee Nation in Georgia that made their way to that area of North Texas/Oklahoma when the government moved them.

- Atlanta is the headquarters for Delta which is the 3rd largest airline in the world, Dallas is the headquarters for American Airlines which is the largest airline in the world. Dallas also has Southwest. (Like Chicago).

- Neither city has a central industry (like Chicago).

- Both cities literally have the same aggressive plan to court Fortune 500 headquarters. They often go for the exact same ones.

- Both are major railroad and highway distribution hubs. Dallas is the third largest railroad hub after Chicago and Kansas City, while Atlanta is 4th. Both cities feed off the major seaports in their states and then distribute those goods nationwide.

- Both cities are identically 250 miles or so from the coast.

- The Beltline is a similarly ambitious project to the Trinity Revitalization.

- Similar offerings and amenities and similar degrees of chain dependency it feels like. Lots and lots of national chains that most people would likely recognize are based in Atlanta and Dallas.

- Atlanta in popular culture skews heavily towards Blacks and Dallas heavily towards Whites. I looked up "television shows" set in each city and looked at trailers for "Dallas" and all I saw were White people, similarly looked at Real Housewives of Atlanta's trailer and all I saw were Black people. This is similar to how Miami's media is dominated by Latinos. So basically 3 of the 5 poll choices have media that heavily skew towards certain demographics and this likely determines some perception for these cities.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 AM

Excellent points, Red John. Although I think it's important to point out that the Appalachians are much closer in distance and more tied to the culture of Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised to find out most Dallasites are virtually unaware of the Ouachitas.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Dallas and Atlanta both share in common:

- Latitude; nearly identical.

- Logistics; both are major hub airports with similar O&D numbers and overall scope of world destinations. (Like Chicago)

- Similarly diverse economies with likely similar breakdown industry-by-industry size and scope (like Chicago).

- Both are southwest of major mountain ranges; Atlanta the Chattahoochee, Dallas the Ouachitas.

- Both areas were primarily settled by similar Native American tribes, in fact the Trail of Tears was largely displaced Natives from Cherokee Nation in Georgia that made their way to that area of North Texas/Oklahoma when the government moved them.

- Atlanta is the headquarters for Delta which is the 3rd largest airline in the world, Dallas is the headquarters for American Airlines which is the largest airline in the world. Dallas also has Southwest. (Like Chicago).

- Neither city has a central industry (like Chicago).

- Both cities literally have the same aggressive plan to court Fortune 500 headquarters. They often go for the exact same ones.

- Both are major railroad and highway distribution hubs. Dallas is the third largest railroad hub after Chicago and Kansas City, while Atlanta is 4th. Both cities feed off the major seaports in their states and then distribute those goods nationwide.

- Both cities are identically 250 miles or so from the coast.

- The Beltline is a similarly ambitious project to the Trinity Revitalization.

- Similar offerings and amenities and similar degrees of chain dependency it feels like. Lots and lots of national chains that most people would likely recognize are based in Atlanta and Dallas.

- Atlanta in popular culture skews heavily towards Blacks and Dallas heavily towards Whites. I looked up "television shows" set in each city and looked at trailers for "Dallas" and all I saw were White people, similarly looked at Real Housewives of Atlanta's trailer and all I saw were Black people. This is similar to how Miami's media is dominated by Latinos. So basically 3 of the 5 poll choices have media that heavily skew towards certain demographics and this likely determines some perception for these cities.
These are true, but none of these make Dallas as southern as Atlanta.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Quote:
This. How does this make Dallas Southern lol?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that wasn't his point anyway.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This. How does this make Dallas Southern lol?
I don't think things like having certain types of trees or having alligators necessarily make a place Southern either; CULTURE is the main thing that brands a place, and those are things that don't really influence the culture of Dallas (the amount of people moving to Dallas and where they are moving to Dallas from definitely does, though).

Old 09-10-2015, 11:10 AM

27,723 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, the only "Plains" that Dallas belongs to is the Gulf Coastal Plain. In fact, the biggest difference between the flora there and in Houston is the loblolly pines that are dominant in the latter. Both cities have oaks and cypress that are typical of the southern landscape. There's even Spanish moss in parts of DFW. Alligators as well.

The Black/HBCU population would possibly make DC more or atleast just as southern as Dallas, wouldn't it? And Miami was one of the first cities to become a center for hip hop; before Atlanta or Houston.
I'm considering all of the characteristics I mentioned collectively, not independently of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or