U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM

138 posts, read 76,007 times

Advertisements

^Don't forget about STL's Italian and Bosnian populations as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

1,022 posts, read 434,403 times
Default are you ready for some football?

Baltimore and Cleveland are both in the AFC North. Ideally, Baltimore and Buffalo would swap places -- Buffalo join the AFC North, making it entirely Great Lakes and Ohio Valley teams. Baltimore would move into the AFC East conference, joining New England, NY Jets, and Miami. Cleveland and Buffalo would be a natural rivalry.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
I don't see these cities as very similar at all. Granted, Cleveland is East Coast-lite, with familiar accents and architecture in spots, and I've heard it's suburbs compared to New England suburbs (though personally I don't see it)...

I guess both also have that "hard luck", tough persona...

Other than these things they are built differently, in a literal and metaphorical sense. Baltimore seems to be the city of the two with greater future potential, though that's not saying much--it just looks that way compared to Cleveland. Baltimore is far larger, clearly so, with more packed streets. I would say the downtowns in both are comparable in terms of events and activities...

Another similarity: widespread urban blight. You can literally travel blocks on end in both cities that look completely thrown away. All that said, if one was asking which one I prefer, it's Cleveland and Cleveland by a mile...

The most similar city of size comparable to Cleveland is Buffalo, by a landslide. And because I'm an Upstate/Western NY kinda guy, Cleveland is extremely comfortable to me. If probably relate better to the people there than in Baltimore, a city I've known tons of people from, but not generally a fan of Baltimoreans. I've never been to any city that supports it's sports as hard as Cleveland (And Pittsburgh). Baltimoreans tend to think very highly of themselves, which is ironic when you think about what Baltimore is and offers, and what it's closest neighbors offer in comparison. Clevelanders on this board tend to have an inflated ego, but in person they are very live and let live, though maybe a little boisterous...

Cleveland also is noticeably more diverse (the Hispanic and "ethnic" whites ((hate that term by the way)) populations jump out at you in Cleveland compared to Baltimore). Public transit is probably close to equal; we enjoyed Cleveland's throwback-looking, rickety subway. And overall, I prefer the landscape if Northeast Ohio to Central Maryland...

There are some parallels we can draw between these two, just like almost any two cities--one can draw parallels between NY and LA--, but overall, not seeing much similarity between these two, and I can assure you when spending time in either, the first couple cities you think of in "name association" isn't the other one...

Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM

7,243 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't see these cities as very similar at all. Granted, Cleveland is East Coast-lite, with familiar accents and architecture in spots, and I've heard it's suburbs compared to New England suburbs (though personally I don't see it)...

I guess both also have that "hard luck", tough persona...

Other than these things they are built differently, in a literal and metaphorical sense. Baltimore seems to be the city of the two with greater future potential, though that's not saying much--it just looks that way compared to Cleveland. Baltimore is far larger, clearly so, with more packed streets. I would say the downtowns in both are comparable in terms of events and activities...

Another similarity: widespread urban blight. You can literally travel blocks on end in both cities that look completely thrown away. All that said, if one was asking which one I prefer, it's Cleveland and Cleveland by a mile...

The most similar city of size comparable to Cleveland is Buffalo, by a landslide. And because I'm an Upstate/Western NY kinda guy, Cleveland is extremely comfortable to me. If probably relate better to the people there than in Baltimore, a city I've known tons of people from, but not generally a fan of Baltimoreans. I've never been to any city that supports it's sports as hard as Cleveland (And Pittsburgh). Baltimoreans tend to think very highly of themselves, which is ironic when you think about what Baltimore is and offers, and what it's closest neighbors offer in comparison. Clevelanders on this board tend to have an inflated ego, but in person they are very live and let live, though maybe a little boisterous...

Cleveland also is noticeably more diverse (the Hispanic and "ethnic" whites ((hate that term by the way)) populations jump out at you in Cleveland compared to Baltimore). Public transit is probably close to equal; we enjoyed Cleveland's throwback-looking, rickety subway. And overall, I prefer the landscape if Northeast Ohio to Central Maryland...

There are some parallels we can draw between these two, just like almost any two cities--one can draw parallels between NY and LA--, but overall, not seeing much similarity between these two, and I can assure you when spending time in either, the first couple cities you think of in "name association" isn't the other one...
What is Baltimore, and what does it offer, in your opinion, that makes it ironic?

Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What is Baltimore, and what does it offer, in your opinion, that makes it ironic?
What is Baltimore? Not as dynamic as it's neighbors...

I have a question, have you ever lived outside of metro Baltimore? Outside of Maryland even? What is the longest real time you've ever spent outside of Maryland. Don't lie, now lol...

I've noticed this us true of anywhere I've been in the country--people who have spent virtually their entire lives in one place tend to not have the depth of perspective regarding their hometowns or anywhere else. I get the feeling you fit under this umbrella, because while all of us here have pride in our cities, you speak in a manner in which Baltimore should be immune to criticism or negative perception from non-Baltimoreans. There's not a thread that says "Baltimore" that you don't speak in and there are even threads that don't mention Baltimore as a topic, that you make Baltimore a topic...

Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What is Baltimore? Not as dynamic as it's neighbors...

I have a question, have you ever lived outside of metro Baltimore? Outside of Maryland even? What is the longest real time you've ever spent outside of Maryland. Don't lie, now lol...

I've noticed this us true of anywhere I've been in the country--people who have spent virtually their entire lives in one place tend to not have the depth of perspective regarding their hometowns or anywhere else. I get the feeling you fit under this umbrella, because while all of us here have pride in our cities, you speak in a manner in which Baltimore should be immune to criticism or negative perception from non-Baltimoreans. There's not a thread that says "Baltimore" that you don't speak in and there are even threads that don't mention Baltimore as a topic, that you make Baltimore a topic...
Dynamic is a vague term, what does mean in the context of the conversation that we're having?

I've never lived outside of the Baltimore metro, no reason to lie to you or anyone else on this board for that matter.

Knowing is better than feeling. The fact of the matter is that Baltimore is rarely spoken positively by non-Baltimoreans, and even native Baltimoreans for that matter. As this site has shown from YOU (hence why we're having this conversation), and plenty of other posters, that Baltimore is seen almost exclusively in a negative light. Is most of the bad press deserved, absolutely, and you can go to the Baltimore forum on how I feel about the city at moment. However, my job isn't to pile on Baltimore when EVERYBODY already is; I'm going to highlight the positives of Baltimore, not let people like you who tried to do in (Which city has the best collection of neighborhoods) which would to use Baltimore to prop your own city. Richmond isn't the topic, and yet you're in this thread asking me why I'm speaking about Baltimore.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Richmond isn't the topic, and yet you're in this thread asking me why I'm speaking about Baltimore.
Hahahahaha...your shadow boxing skills need work, as I neither asked why you're referencing Baltimore in this thread, nor did I bring up Richmond. You're still hurt that I said Baltimore doesn't have better neighborhoods that you find a way to interject that conversation into this one?

Epic fail lol...

Not surprised you've never been away from Baltimore, I read that correctly. So let's get back on topic. Cleveland is a better fit for me personally, and I enjoy the people of Cleveland much more than the people of Baltimore. Cleveland and Baltimore are not very similar at all, but then, I have the perspective of extensive traveling and living in many different places...

Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,236,147 times
Both have declined in rank, both are similar physical size, and Baltimore is like a midwestern rust belt city that somehow ended up on I-95. That said, Cleveland has nothing on Harm City's homicide rate.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Hahahahaha...your shadow boxing skills need work, as I neither asked why you're referencing Baltimore in this thread, nor did I bring up Richmond. You're still hurt that I said Baltimore doesn't have better neighborhoods that you find a way to interject that conversation into this one?

Epic fail lol...

Not surprised you've never been away from Baltimore, I read that correctly. So let's get back on topic. Cleveland is a better fit for me personally, and I enjoy the people of Cleveland much more than the people of Baltimore. Cleveland and Baltimore are not very similar at all, but then, I have the perspective of extensive traveling and living in many different places...
Nice try , rookie, but you still didn't answer the question. Just like you avoided comparing neighborhoods in Baltimore vs Richmond. What does "dynamic" mean in regards your post.

To put it plainly: im

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Epic fail lol...

Nice try , rookie, but you still didn't answer the question. Just like you avoided comparing neighborhoods in Baltimore vs Richmond. What does "dynamic" mean in regards your post?

To put it plainly: I'm always gonna ride with Baltimore, so you don't even have to ask why I insert Baltimore in everything; I'm a homer. Now you don't have to speculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or