U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Old Money Neighborhoods Have You Been To?
Back Bay - Boston 14 18.18%
Beacon Hill - Boston 16 20.78%
Bel Air - Los Angeles 15 19.48%
Beverly Hills, CA 17 22.08%
Brentwood - Los Angeles 10 12.99%
Buckhead - Atlanta 16 20.78%
Clayton, MO 8 10.39%
Gold Coast - Chicago 23 29.87%
Highland Park, TX 9 11.69%
Mission Hills, KS 4 5.19%
Nichols Hills, OK 4 5.19%
Old West Austin - Austin, TX 4 5.19%
Preston Hollow - Dallas 6 7.79%
River Oaks - Houston, TX 10 12.99%
Upper East Side - NYC 22 28.57%
Upper West Side - NYC 22 28.57%
Winnetka, IL 15 19.48%
Other 24 31.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:09 AM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,006 posts, read 1,351,478 times

Advertisements

Personally, I love Mission Hills and Indian Hills in Kansas City, KS. Gorgeous homes, mostly tudor, are nestled all throughout the rolling hills. As mentioned, the primary architectural style is tudor, but WOW! They are absolutely beautiful! The homes are mostly older and have a very solid, teutonic look to them. Additionally, residents are in close proximity to Country Club Plaza, an architecture masterpiece. Just across the state line, Ward Parkway connects the Mission Hills area to The Country Club Plaza. Mission Hills is home to not one, but two golf courses: Mission Hills Country Club and Kansas City Country Club.

Moving on, Oklahoma City's most notable old money neighborhood is Nichols Hills.

Located just northwest of downtown, Nichols Hills is home to the OKC Golf and Country Club and is close to both the uniquely-modrn Classen Curve and Chesapeake Energy's beautiful new campus.

The neighborhood was nice, but we were left wanting. The trees are unusually young, thus eliminating the old neighborhood feel often associated with an old money neighborhood. Sad, really. The homes were well-kept but were not all that architecturally interesting. Again, there seemed to be a shortage of older homes unlike in Mesta Park or Heritage Hills.

Another one of my favorites is Winnetka, IL. Yes, the McAllister's did live here, but this township offers so much more than a tourist stop. From soaring trees, old homes, and character one will leave with a warm and homey feeling. Located right on Lake Michigan, Winnetka is home to a golf club and has two "downtowns."

Lastly, there's Highland Park in Dallas. Designed by Wilbur David Cook, who also designed Beverly Hills, this neighborhood is notable not only for its great location but the best schools in the Dallas area. Streets are usually lined with trees and architectural styles are varied from French to Mediterranean, Prairie to Craftsman. The most notable street is Beverly Dr. Also located in Highland Park is Highland Park Village. This ultra high-end shopping destination was built in 1931 and is America's first shopping center with a unified architectural style and inward-facing parking.

What I find interesting about Highland Park is how Wilbur David Cook positioned the streets. Similar to its California sister, the curvilinear streets in west Highland Park have a graceful flow about them. Compare the two on a map.

In the future, I'd love to see Clayton and Ladue in St. Louis. From the photos I've seen, the area looks to be gorgeous, the lined with large trees and stately homes.

So, which "old money" neighborhoods have you been to?

Why did you go?
What did you like about it?
What did you notice about the homes, streets, trees etc?
Was it in close proximity to city attractions?
Was it walkable?
Was the natural scenery noteworthy?
Have you ever lived in an old money neighborhood?
If you could live in an old money neighborhood, which would you choose? Why?

* Multiple votes allowed
* NO rude or snarky comments...we are adults and should act accordingly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
I don't care about them one way or the other, but Pacific Heights in Ssn Francisco should be included.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 AM

3,918 posts, read 5,038,758 times
Gold Coast and Beacon Hill for me.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't care about them one way or the other, but Pacific Heights in Ssn Francisco should be included.
I didn't want to be the first to say that but I concur.

Also, is Sea Cliff in SF 'old money' at all? I know it's more known as a celeb neighborhood, which is 'new money'..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Beverly Hills is almost completely tacky, gauche new money. Bel Air too leans new money, but not as much.

Holmby Hills, Pacific Palisades, Hancock Park, and a few parts of Pasadena would be old money for LA.

And you seem to be missing the oldest and most prominent of old money areas in the U.S.- Gold Coast of Long Island, Southampton, Coastal Connecticut, Main Line outside Philly, etc. Places like New Canaan and backcountry Greemwich and North Shore of LI scream old money, yet not on the list.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And you seem to be missing the oldest of old money areas in the U.S.- Gold Coast of Long Island, Southampton, Coastal Connecticut, Main Line outside Philly, etc.
Indeed. The wealthy enclaves outside of all major East Coast cities are the very definition of "old money." Chevy Chase/Bethesda right outside of DC is another key player here.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:22 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yep. Those LA places are wealthy and exclusive but not really old money. Pacific Heights, Presidio Heights, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill are all bastions of old money in The City of SF itself.

Outside of The City, many Peninsula and Marin towns were considered country/ summer/ weekend estates for the city elite, but today are rich and prestigious suburbs that still have old money. Hillsborough, Burlingame, Atherton, Portola Valley, Ross, Belvedere and Woodside come to mind.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:27 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,787,282 times
the only places i've seen on the list are in california....i voted "other" (charleston or savannah)

Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM

66 posts, read 52,158 times
Philadelphia areas don't have "old money"?

Again, the most underrated city.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:58 PM

6,879 posts, read 3,610,904 times
Why no DC neighborhoods? Georgetown, Cleveland Park, Foxhall Road, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or