Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
O'Hare is the third busiest airport in the U.S. and eighth busiest airport in the world. It's the 4th largest air hub in the U.S. and top 15 worldwide. It hasn't been the busiest airport for at least 20-30 years.

Not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, but there you go. Airport traffic is a function of two things- relative metro area size, and where airlines have their transfer hubs. Chicago is the third largest U.S. city and the fourth largest U.S. air hub (after NYC, LA, and Atlanta), so about right where you expect it to be. Really only Atlanta is an outlier (because it's a giant Delta hub, even bigger than Chicago's United hub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic
Nola101 This was covered. The FAA declared O'Hare the busiest because of Take-Offs and landings of planes. Movements its called too. # FLIGHTS TOO.

The Chart on that sight for departures and arrivals for 2014.
O'Hare tops busiest airport rankings (table) - Chicago Tribune
.............FLIGHTS.............................. .........PASSENGERS
O'Hare - 881,933 * minus .02% from 2013 - 70,015.746
Atlanta - 868,359 minus 4.7% from 2013 - 96,178. 899 *
Midway - 249,252 mimus 1.1% from 2013 - 21.100.000

O'Hare + Midway ------------------------------91,115.746

* denotes the win

13,000 more flights at O'Hare took place to declare busiest in flights.

O'Hare also has 8 runways to Atlanta's 5. Mdway also has 5 runways.
Chicago/Atlanta airport rivalry heats up - CNN.com

Oh and NOLA.... You missed my comment too....THAT IT IS NEW YORKERS THAT CALL CHICAGO FLYOVER....LOL IN FAVOR LA AND SF. VIRTUALLY THE REST OF THE US BUT FLORIDA IS FLYOVER LOL.

SURELY YOU AGREE.......

In determining the total number of flight operations, the FAA counts commercial airline flights, general aviation flights, military flights and air taxi operations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Get a grip!
I'm not applauding for anyone (whatever that means), but simply listing a fact. In fact, I grew up in the Chicago area and most of my family is there. When speaking of busiest airports, it is generally considered to be in terms of passenger travel. What IS unwarranted is this rant you are going on and on about.
Again take it up..... WITH THE FAA. Not me. I'm simply listing NEW FACTS TOO. They declared it.. not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:09 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
This airport bickering of "my dog is better than your dog" is pointless when determining impact of the city and more to do with the ops/airport infrastructure. The Atlanta area accounts for about 28% of the total passengers through Hartsfield-Jackson airport.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
This airport bickering of "my dog is better than your dog" is pointless when determining impact of the city and more to do with the ops/airport infrastructure. The Atlanta area accounts for about 28% of the total passengers through Hartsfield-Jackson airport.
Yes, still a change in statistics ARE NOTEWORTHY. You as a AVIATION Forum visitor. Should know the FAA rulings ARE FACTS. If ATLANTA'S NUMBERS overtake O'Hare again in the future? I'm sure you declare the New Facts..... you ALSO VISIT THE ATLANTA FORUM A LOT?

But your LOCATION SAYS SF BAY HERE ....after 1 am it says THE CITY. Then your ID has PHILLY in. YOU DO visit Philly forums A AWEFUL LOT TOO. So still SEE a personal reason YOU defend Atlanta and me Chicago. Having lived there.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:37 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Yes, still a change in statistics ARE NOTEWORTHY. You as a AVIATION Forum visitor. Should know the FAA rulings ARE FACTS. If ATLANTA'S NUMBERS overtake O'Hare again in the future? I'm sure you declare the New Facts..... you ALSO VISIT THE ATLANTA FORUM A LOT?

But your LOCATION SAYS SF BAY HERE ....after 1 am it says THE CITY. Then your ID has PHILLY in. YOU DO visit Philly forums A AWEFUL LOT TOO. So still SEE a personal reason YOU defend Atlanta and me Chicago. Having lived there.
Fastphilly is a nickname given to me by friends when I used to DJ gigs. I am born and raised in Daly City (near the "Top Of The Hill") which is a stones throw from the SF city limits.

All I am saying is these two airports in question benefit greatly from the home carrier's route network. Many people will give credit to the city itself for having these huge passenger numbers as a way to boast their city's image and it's hogwash to say the least.

Taking off the rose colored glasses and reading between the lines you will realize that large hub airports is a smoke and mirrors assessment for cities.

Subtracting the 28% local O&D from Atlanta's total passenger numbers gives the city an annual local passenger count of around 30 million. The other almost 70 million passengers don't step foot out of the airport.

Chicago O'Hare is similar but the percentage of O&D is quite higher compared to Atlanta

Old 09-13-2015, 02:32 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Very much true. I posted the link explaining this, though that's meaningless to some who have already determined their "stance."
OK just to clear things up for you and anybody else AGAIN, I have no stance on this subject except for presenting facts and I am speaking specifically about busiest airports in the world based upon passenger count (can't make myself any clearer). As of March 2015, Atlanta was still the busiest airport when it comes to passenger count (O'hare was 8th). If you need to research those facts, then have at it.

Also, this was posted in January of this year in regards to number of flight operations (not passenger count) hence the retaking the "world's busiest title" sort of:
Chicago O'Hare retakes 'world's busiest' title

Please be sure to read the entire article, especially where the Chicago Sun-Times agrees that passenger count is "the traditional yardstick by which the title of world's busiest has been bestowed."

Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
OK just to clear things up for you and anybody else AGAIN, I have no stance on this subject except for presenting facts and I am speaking specifically about busiest airports in the world based upon passenger count (can't make myself any clearer). As of March 2015, Atlanta was still the busiest airport when it comes to passenger count (O'hare was 8th). If you need to research those facts, then have at it.

Also, this was posted in January of this year in regards to number of flight operations (not passenger count) hence the retaking the "world's busiest title" sort of:
Chicago O'Hare retakes 'world's busiest' title

Please be sure to read the entire article, especially where the Chicago Sun-Times agrees that passenger count is "the traditional yardstick by which the title of world's busiest has been bestowed."
Well again, Airports are MORE THEN A PASSENGER MOVING BUSINESS. The move FRIEGHT INCLUDING MAIL and packages, many have FOR MILITARY USE PARTS TOO.

O'Hare still is a JACK OF ALL AIRPORTS.... in it moves a lot by AIR, the merely Passengers.

So Number of PLANES THE LAND AND TAKE-OFF. DO ALSO GET COUNTED BY THE FAA. I is THE WHOLE PACKAGE COUNT OF ALL PLANES ENTERING AND LANDING AT O'HARE. That had the FAA. GIVE TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS BACK TO O'HARE.

That was something O'HARE DID WIN BACK. Or THE FAA....would not have RELEASED THE NEWS BULLETIN to the Media. On O'HARES WIN BACK IN TOTAL AIRCRAFT ENTERING AND LEAVING A AIRPORT.

YES All the Media reports do add but O'Hare, still did not Win Back Most Passengers through the Airport. BUT PLANES THROUGH THE AIRPORT IT DID.

The FAA Also counts WEIGHT OF WHAT ALL AIRCRAFT CARRY IN AND OUT OF AIRPORTS.
Qualifying Cargo Airports, Rank Order, and Percent Change from 2013

Landed weight lb.'s .......................... Landed weight lb.'s

# 4 ....O'Hare 2014 ........................... O'Hare 2013 ................Increase
---7,541,411,779 ----------------------- 6,864,249,348 ------------ 9.87%

# 14 ---Atlanta 2014 ..........................Atlanta 2013 ................Increase
---2,262,892,910 ----------------------- 2,187,228,002 ------------ 3.46%
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
.......Passengers through
..........the Airport ............................Total 2014...... Increase ..........Total Movements 2014

# I ------ATLANTA------------------------96,178,899 ......1.9% .................... 868,359 .............. -4.7%
# 2 ---LOS ANGELES---------------------70,663,265 ......6.0% .....................708,674 ............... 1.7%
# 3 -----CHICAGO------------------------69,999,010 ......4.5% .................... 881,933 ...............-0.2%

International Passengers.
# 5 O'HARE -------------------------------10,202,658 .....-1.7%
# 6 ATLANTA ------------------------------ 9,556,913 ..... 2.2%

Last edited by steeps; 09-13-2015 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well again, Airports are MORE THEN A PASSENGER MOVING BUSINESS. The move FRIEGHT INCLUDING MAIL and packages, many have FOR MILITARY USE PARTS TOO.

O'Hare still is a JACK OF ALL AIRPORTS.... in it moves a lot by AIR, the merely Passengers.

So Number of PLANES THE LAND AND TAKE-OFF. DO ALSO GET COUNTED BY THE FAA. I is THE WHOLE PACKAGE COUNT OF ALL PLANES ENTERING AND LANDING AT O'HARE. That had the FAA. GIVE TOTAL AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS BACK TO O'HARE.

That was something O'HARE DID WIN BACK. Or THE FAA....would not have RELEASED THE NEWS BULLETIN to the Media. On O'HARES WIN BACK IN TOTAL AIRCRAFT ENTERING AND LEAVING A AIRPORT.

YES All the Media reports do add but O'Hare, still did not Win Back Most Passengers through the Airport. BUT PLANES THROUGH THE AIRPORT IT DID.

The FAA Also counts WEIGHT OF WHAT ALL AIRCRAFT CARRY IN AND OUT OF AIRPORTS.
Qualifying Cargo Airports, Rank Order, and Percent Change from 2013

Landed weight lb.'s .......................... Landed weight lb.'s

# 4 ....O'Hare 2014 ........................... O'Hare 2013 ................Increase
---7,541,411,779 ----------------------- 6,864,249,348 ------------ 9.87%

# 14 ---Atlanta 2014 ..........................Atlanta 2013 ................Increase
---2,262,892,910 ----------------------- 2,187,228,002 ------------ 3.46%
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
.......Passengers through
..........the Airport ............................Total 2014...... Increase ..........Total Movements 2014

# I ------ATLANTA------------------------96,178,899 ......1.9% .................... 868,359 .............. -4.7%
# 2 ---LOS ANGELES---------------------70,663,265 ......6.0% .....................708,674 ............... 1.7%
# 3 -----CHICAGO------------------------69,999,010 ......4.5% .................... 881,933 ...............-0.2%

International Passengers.
# 5 O'HARE -------------------------------10,202,658 .....-1.7%
# 6 ATLANTA ------------------------------ 9,556,913 ..... 2.2%
Either you have an issue reading or you are simply trying way too hard to prove a point that involves speaking about every other metric possible except the one I was speaking about and the one you were responding to from my posts.

Seriously, I didn't ask for all of this, but thanks for the info. (later)

Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Fly over is an over used broad general term. Let's be specific with the facts. Anyone who says Chicago is fly over country either one hasn't been there or is blinded by blissful ignorance stuck in another part of the country living in a fantasy world. The reality is that Chicago actually has plenty of ethnic enclave communities with families who still live outside the country. It's apparent that the ethnic population who live in the city either have family from other countries who fly to Chicago (as the destination..hint hint) to visit them or they fly from Chicago to another country to visit their own. Now when they do that it's apparent Chicago would be the destination for those visitors. That fact is just common sense reality. My girlfriend just flew non stop to Chicago from Manchester,UK direct on British Airways two months ago so no fly over is inaccurate term. Now when it comes to other parts of the Midwest you may have an argument but Chicago is a whole different animal in comparison.

According to the latest Trip Advisor Top 25 World Destinations survey polled by millions of travelers around the world NYC ranked 11th. Now when it comes to the Top 25 US Destinations according to world travelers after NYC they actually picked Chicago as the preferred destination.

Source:
Best Destinations in the United States - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Yup, I'm sure that is based off of polling of people from around the world. That's why Branson, Missouri is #15 ahead of LA, Boston, Orlando etc etc. Makes total sense.

You lost me with that whole ethnic population thing.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Yup, I'm sure that is based off of polling of people from around the world. That's why Branson, Missouri is #15 ahead of LA, Boston, Orlando etc etc. Makes total sense.

You lost me with that whole ethnic population thing.
TripAdvisor makes its list ON FAVORABLE FEEDBACK from those who TAKE THE TIME by BEING IMPRESSED to EXPECTATION SURPASSED. To Give FEEDBACKS on experiences with the cities and its sights.

If Branson gets more of its share of favorable Feedbacks. It can beat a Big City like LA.

Maybe.... or I'd say probably. Chicago EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS for visitors... Then LA?

Even the Art Institute of Chicago, by TripAdvisor. Won Top Museum Honors last year. A new wing opened to display more of its Artwork at any one given time. That otherwise would be in storage till its turn again. It must have IMPRESSED Visitors.

So TripAdvisor advises from those who actually were Tourist, WHO TOOK TIME TO GIVE FEEDBACK. It is not meant to say a city has MORE ATTRACTIONS THEN ANOTHER. But much of what it has and SPACIFIC SIGHTS , that TOURIST RATE on their sight.

PROSPECTIVE TOURIST can Check TRIPADVISORS. FEEDBACK, from Top sights and Cities. TripAdvisor,... then by these feedback recommendations of Visitors. Then creates its RECOMENDATION LIST.

AGAIN CHICAGO IS MORE LIKELY TO IMPRESS FROM LOWER EXPECTATIONS BEING SURPASSED. LOGICAL REASONING FROM FEEDBACKS. That does work well for INCREASING TOURISM..... If they go home and COMPLEMNT THE CITY TO THEIR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Chicago does beat NYC in Domestic Visitors but International Tourist.... put NYC millions over Chicago.

SEEMS ... NYC CAN BE A BIT LETTING DOWN TO SOME? Especially if you have a view of Manhattan as a sort of Disneyland Urban Paradise. It did me. I noted in examples from Bags of Trash on streets off Times Square, to Gated stores even on 5th Ave when closed. And others ALL OVER. Should NOT be allowed in Manhattan. I hate the look . NYC prides itself for being a safer city then Chicago today? Subjective on neighborhoods.... But a wall of gated stores sure don't look it. . CHICAGO MUST HAVE OUTLAW GATED STOREFRONTS. YOU DON'T SEE THEM DOWNTOWN OR MOST OF THE CITY. But for the highest crime neighborhoods.

That is how i see it. It is not meant to be some Scientific poll ....THESE TRIPADVISOR LISTINGS. ITS ON FEEDBACKS volunteered by Tourist after visits, for others to see.... A good portion are world travelers too. They have their locations and even pictures posted.

I Know... A LONG POST TO MERELY GIVE A OPINION ON A SIGHT... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City