Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,253,358 times

Advertisements

Again CHICAGO IS FLY-OVER FOR NEW YORKERS. They see NYC SOOOOO FAY ABOVE EVERYONE BETWEEN THE COAST. To them. IT'S JUST THEM, TO LA and SF. Have to add FLORIDA.. I do not believe Bostonians do, or those of DC or points south. I am sure Philadelphians do not either.

I am sure a New Yorker... perhaps some publication there? PROBABLY PENNED THE PHRASE... They we know... gave Chicago the nick.. Windy City. Put in print... declaring Chicago COULD NOT PULL OFF A WORLD'S FAIR IN THE 1800s. Its first one. Calling those politicians who thought it could... just FULL OF WIND.. LOL

I never felt a rivalry in Chicago with NYC. But New Yorkers surely do not want to share attributes and positives in Urbanity and High-End Skyscraper living or some TOP Restaurants with MUCH LOWER CHICAGO.....

To some you can't like both, and don't dare say you might prefer Chicago or its kind of Urbanity...

Surprise Surprise... Chicago evolved such a World-Class Skyline too. Not in Size or Numbers of Skyscrapers. But in Scope it can be up there. But with Asian cities now, and Dubai......the Clouds might not be the limit. But still Chicago is Top 5.

Chicago deserves its claim to some fame. NYC yes has passed on to the Worlds City.

Last edited by steeps; 09-17-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,392,766 times
I don't understand what's so hard to understand, Chicago is not flyover domestically, but internationally? If one wants to experience the "big city" with skyscrapers in America, why would anyone visit Chicago over NYC? There's nothing that stands out about Chicago that would make someone pick it over New York.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,392,766 times
Chicago is a great city for us Americans but if an international traveler asked me my top 5 cities for him/her to visit I would put NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Las Vegas, and even perhaps New Orleans before I would suggest Chicago, think about how underwhelming one would feel visiting New York and then Chicago. Hell even as an Angeleno I felt a underwhelmed in Chicago, I was expecting a smaller version of New York instead I found a bigger version of Denver.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,253,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Chicago is a great city for us Americans but if an international traveler asked me my top 5 cities for him/her to visit I would put NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Las Vegas, and even perhaps New Orleans before I would suggest Chicago, think about how underwhelming one would feel visiting New York and then Chicago. Hell even as an Angeleno I felt a underwhelmed in Chicago, I was expecting a smaller version of New York instead I found a bigger version of Denver.
All have their opinion. But sorry... Denver has nothing like the built Urban Business mass of buildings as the Loop Downtown. It then Opens to the front yard of Millennium and Grant Parks to the Lakefront. Of course Denver's backdrop is the Mountains.

Denver has nothing like the High-End Skyscraper living Chicago has AS NYC. Just less overall yes. But in much cleaner then Manhattan a bigger Denver perhaps. Denver has so great attributes too for Chicago to have in some virtually all new Parts to the Downtown and Outdoor Cafés in summers.
You have the River Skyscraper canyon north and River North Lofts with its own restaurant scene

There are aspects of Manhattan that i found underwhelming too. From bags of garbage on streets to gated stores and dull side streets to walk through. Just takes away from a Disneyesque view you gain from the movies. But i do understand street level Tenement neighborhoods and others can have more street activity. The awesome Art-Deco greats. Though viewing. The Empire State Building and other greats is difficult at street level. On narrow streets and no set-back or plaza.

They are different cities as all are. Over-all the mass of buildings and history and Density of Manhattan has it in a class by itself. Comparisons to it will most likely gain a less then attitude. But preferences will differ.
As i always say.. Chicago is layer out for Retail on main streets and quite neighborhoods to live in.

I don't think this is Denveresque....

Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times
"Flyover Country" is a pretty instant indicator to me that the speaker isn't too bright and is way less knowledgeable than they think they are.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM

358 posts, read 346,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
All have their opinion. But sorry... Denver has nothing like the built Urban Business mass of buildings as the Loop Downtown. It then Opens to the front yard of Millennium and Grant Parks to the Lakefront. Of course Denver's backdrop is the Mountains.

Denver has nothing like the High-End Skyscraper living Chicago has AS NYC. Just less overall yes. But in much cleaner then Manhattan a bigger Denver perhaps. Denver has so great attributes too for Chicago to have in some virtually all new Parts to the Downtown and Outdoor Cafés in summers.
You have the River Skyscraper canyon north and River North Lofts with its own restaurant scene

There are aspects of Manhattan that i found underwhelming too. From bags of garbage on streets to gated stores and dull side streets to walk through. Just takes away from a Disneyesque view you gain from the movies. But i do understand street level Tenement neighborhoods and others can have more street activity. The awesome Art-Deco greats. Though viewing. The Empire State Building and other greats is difficult at street level. On narrow streets and no set-back or plaza.

They are different cities as all are. Over-all the mass of buildings and history and Density of Manhattan has it in a class by itself. Comparisons to it will most likely gain a less then attitude. But preferences will differ.
As i always say.. Chicago is layer out for Retail on main streets and quite neighborhoods to live in.

I don't think this is Denveresque....

I agree, I know Chicago is still pushing to raise its international profile but the city has nothing to prove and is world class. I would say Chicago's only negitives are lack of exciting destinations outside the city limits and winter weather. Comparing it to Denver is nothing but insulting.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,901,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Oh good Lord. Congrats on being the first person to visit Chicago and feel "underwhelmed." The only people that feel that are those going there with a personal vendetta against the city.

And who in their right mind would send an international traveler to a place like Miami over Chicago?!? You'd really send a traveller to a city with sparsely-packed, boring facade, hotels and condo high rises that all look the same in a city only packed with Hispanic influences? Yeah, bad choice. The only area of Miami thats remotely interesting is South Beach with its cool art deco architecture, and thats it. The rest of the city isnt anything to write home about.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 AM

10,645 posts, read 15,912,038 times

Old 09-18-2015, 10:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,977,044 times
I would not be dismissive of Chicago. On other threads Chicago has ranked highly not only in population, but also in urbanity.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:59 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,894,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I would not be dismissive of Chicago. On other threads Chicago has ranked highly not only in population, but also in urbanity.
Some people feel an incessant need to put Chicago in its place. It's humurous, because it shows nothing but insecurity. But, a few posters keep on keepin' on. After following a few Chicago-related threads, it's easy to ascertain who these posters are.

Last edited by NowInWI; 09-18-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City