U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 06:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you aren't allowed to use data on international tourist numbers. Better yet, use no data of any sort. Usage of Census-verified data and other reliable data sources is obviously trolling.

Much better to make up random statements like "Chicago is bigger and better than Tokyo" or "International tourists don't come to Miami". Then you're being Fair and Balanced...
Miami Beach NOLA IS A RENOWN RESORT right across the a stretch of water.... from the Mainland and Downtown Miami. Yes International Tourist globe trotters from Latin America and some from Europe. But overall tourist to Miami is not that High.... merely the International travelers % of the pie.

Orlando - 62 million visitors
NYC - 56 million visitors
CHICAGO - 50 million visitors
Los Angeles - 44 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Atlanta - 36 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 19 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Miami beach numbers....
Miami Beach Tourism Statistics & Demographics - Miami Beach 411 - South Florida Tourism

US residents........ 55.9%
Non-US Residents 44.1%
MIAMI BEACH HOST.....35% of the 14 million tourists who visit Greater Miami

Nations MIAMI BEACH visitors are coming from;

South America 52.8% with Brazil a whopping. 70.3% with Colombia 78.6%
Europe ............ 32.4%
Brazil ...............17.5%
Germany...........8.9%
Colombia...........8.3%
England.............7.0%
Canada .............6.4%
Central America..5.0%
Caribbean...........2.6%

So NOLA101 BOAST FOR GREATER MIAMI TOURIST AT 14 MILLION ......BIG PORTION FROM SOUTH AMERICA. TO CHICAGO'S 50 MILLION...... We here you...LOL

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV

You like statistics right????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,102 times
What does this mean:

"South America 52.8% with Brazil a whopping. 70.3% with Colombia 78.6%"

?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
What does this mean:

"South America 52.8% with Brazil a whopping. 70.3% with Colombia 78.6%"

?
I'm not sure why the sight separates Brazil and Colombia from South America. So i though to add Brazil and Columbia back to South America gave the full continent %? Perhaps the 2 highest nations tourist was Brazil and Colombia? But just separated %'s from the South American %?

Either way Over half of Miami Beach tourist seem to be from South America.

Sight again... http://www.miamibeach411.com/conventions/stats.htm

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM

404 posts, read 377,245 times
(1) As you asked, yes, the Midwest does have an image problem. It's usually a disdain for the "hicks from the sticks" or anything not bi-coastal or cosmopolitan. Not all people do this, but many "educated" aka formally educated tend to let their true feelings out when the opportunity arises.
(2) Due to the city's location, and much of the disdain for "flyover" country, Chicago is moved down a peg in terms of respect. Now I'll mention NOLA even though it wasn't listed. NOLA tends to not get the "Ew, it's in the bigoted Southern region" because "it's NOLA."
(3) Much of the non-cosmopolitan life in Europe is equally as slow, has its degree of uninteresting places and lack of sophistication as any non-cosmopolitan America. But people don't focus on that because "it's Europe."
(4) Anyone who uses "flyover" seriously in a pejorative fashion isn't as bright as they think they are. I'll trust the small-town Ohioan mechanic or the Amish farmer over an "enlightened" and "artistic" person.
(5) Haters gonna hate.

Last edited by TheSunshineKid; 09-18-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 10:43 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,132,016 times
Chicago doesn't even fit the stereotype of a dull landscape, because it is on Lake Michigan.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 AM

44 posts, read 34,514 times
Chicago is not flyover country.

In fact, its location I consider to be very convenient because its (almost) the midpoint for major East and West coast travel.

People always credit location for cities on here and never downplay it, so why does Chicago's get downplayed for being middle of nowhere when in actuality and economically, its a prime location?

And for the record, im from Upstate NY.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:49 AM

553 posts, read 446,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post

In fact, its location I consider to be very convenient because its (almost) the midpoint for major East and West coast travel.

People always credit location for cities on here and never downplay it, so why does Chicago's get downplayed for being middle of nowhere when in actuality and economically, its a prime location?

So true. Its location is the reason why Chicago is the third largest city today

Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,351,998 times
All of my numb, simple flyover hick friends who are engineers, CRNAs, physicians and artists that graduated from the University of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, and Notre Dame get sad sometimes because we only look forward to driving our white 1998 Pontiacs miles and miles down brown roads of corn fields and strip malls for hours a day. We will sometimes go to Chili's, and if we are celebrating something, Olive Garden. We don't know what life is like on *~The Coasts~* or anywhere else in the world, because we don't live near a world class airport that flies 70,075,204 passengers a year. We never get to experience boating or any other aquatic sport, mostly due to the lack of any large body of water within proximity. I am asking for help...please help me get me out of flyover country. I get so annoyed with all of the airplanes flying over me all the time. Someone tried to tell me there were so many airplanes because there is a busy airport near by..but I know they are lying. I know it is because...I am in Flyover Country.

Now...let me eat my Bojangles in peace. Gawd Bless.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post

You're confused because you don't understand the term.

The term, which is kind of a joke anyways, refers to the country's midsection. Chicago is obviously in the country's midsection, so is obviously flyover country, in the typical application of the term. It refers to people flying between the coasts (and really specifically refers to a subset of elites, often in the entertainment industry, flying between NYC and LA).

The old joke is that everything between NYC and LA is "flyover country", because, to that subset of people, it is when you're taking the redeye between the coasts. The JFK-LAX redeyes are all nonstop. It doesn't literally mean that people aren't landing planes in O'Hare; obviously O'Hare is one of the busiest transfer hubs in the U.S.; in fact strictly as a transfer hub O'Hare is more important than JFK or LAX.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:21 PM

44 posts, read 34,514 times
If Chicago is "flyover country" then why do all of our layovers end up there?

Seems like everyone is doing anything but flying over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City