U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM

452 posts, read 291,237 times

Advertisements

I love hardcore flyover country (KS, OK, MO, Panhandle, etc) and am super curious about it. Beautiful wide open countryside, interesting fusion of cultures/regions (Midwest, South, West, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American) and some cool people who actually still know what real country music sounds like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:01 AM

66 posts, read 52,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
In what world is Seattle a premier city?

Top 10 cities I would loosely say are premier cities of the US. Seattle is one of the top 10 cities.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
Im from the East Coast (NY) and ive never ever thought this in my life.

Chicago is one of the premier cities in the country. In a group with NYC, Philly, Boston, DC, SF, Seattle and LA. Miami, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas come next.
Seattle?!? When did Seattle get in the same tier as NYC, LA, and Chicago?!?

Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F LA View Post
On WSJ, SSP, SSC, CD, NYT, WP, etc people always pick on Chicago for being in flyover country but no one does it for Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc imo? Does the midwest have an image issue? Do midwesterners think there's double standard?
All those cities are "flyover country." That terms usually connotes areas not near the coasts. It's a geographical term.

So, yeah, Chicago and Denver, definitely. Phoenix and Atlanta, less so, because they're somewhat near the ocean and culturally a bit more attuned to the coasts.

Does the Midwest have an image issue? That's a separate question. I would say the Midwest is probably the least desirable major region, but it isn't specifically an image issue. It's that people (speaking very generally) aren't going to be automatically attracted to harsh winters, flat landscapes and weak economies.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
When did NYC, LA and Chicago get in the same tier? That's about as silly as adding Seattle to those three.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Chicago is ONLY Flyover for INTERNAIONAL TOURIST. NYC gets the most. LA and SF get a lot and Miami today.
But Chicago is NO FLYOVER CITY FOR DOMESTIC TOURIST.

CHICAGO hit 50 million tourist in 2014. 48.5 million Domestic. That best NYC by more then 4 million domestic. But NYC adding INTERNATIONAL TOURIST puts its numbers way up.....
Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV
I don't agree with Chicago being flyover country for International tourists. O'hare has a impressive list of foreign airlines and is a large hub for European destinations on US carriers. Flyover country to me is east of the west coast to the Mississippi River. With the exception of the large Texas cities, Denver and Phoenix.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
I love hardcore flyover country (KS, OK, MO, Panhandle, etc) and am super curious about it. Beautiful wide open countryside, interesting fusion of cultures/regions (Midwest, South, West, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American) and some cool people who actually still know what real country music sounds like.
I visit a friend in Wellington, TX (located in the panhandle near the OK border) every couple years. I always drive there because I buy a couple coolers worth of meats to bring back. You get to experience the heartland when taking the state/Federal highways. You tend to see old abandoned homes 50 to 100 ft. from the highway that were built over 100 years ago sitting by their lonesome slowly rotting away. It's eerie to say the least. My friends county where he lives is a dry county so you have to drive 30 miles to buy a beer lol! I will say some of the friendliest people you will meet is in small town middle America.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I don't agree with Chicago being flyover country for International tourists. O'hare has a impressive list of foreign airlines and is a large hub for European destinations on US carriers. Flyover country to me is east of the west coast to the Mississippi River. With the exception of the large Texas cities, Denver and Phoenix.
This. Never have I heard Chicago referred to as flyover country.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM

886 posts, read 583,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Flawed premise here.
Indeed...furthermore, Chicago is held in higher regard than Denver, Phoenix or Atlanta so I don't see the problem

Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 AM

66 posts, read 52,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
When did NYC, LA and Chicago get in the same tier? That's about as silly as adding Seattle to those three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

For the tenth ****ing time, im not placing them in tiers. Its a general list of the premier US cities.

Seattle has world class geography and its economy is one of the best. Theres a reason its rapidly growing. Its certainly a top ten city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City