U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 901,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
People do, in fact, call Chicago "flyover country." There are examples on these forums, there are examples online (just do a search), there are examples in real life, etc. Why you continue to deny that it exists is beyond me.
City-data forums: I always take what people say here with a whole bag of salt. So if pretentious poster thinks Chicago is flyover country, I'm not concerned. They're probably intimidated by it.

Online: Most of what I found online wasn't dissing Chicago for being in flyover country, but more haters just not liking Chicago.

Real Life: Where I live, people don't really talk about Chicago. It's L.A., SF, or Austin. When I was in Florida, it was NYC or Miami. In Texas, it's Dallas, Houston, or Austin. Granted, I haven't been to the Midwest or Northeast much.

So in my experience, I don't see the so-called chastisement. I also don't see why it matters. It's just a bunch of Chicago-haters finding a reason to diss the city. Doesn't really seem to affect it in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,451,089 times
Quote:
People do, in fact, call Chicago "flyover country." There are examples on these forums, there are examples online (just do a search), there are examples in real life, etc. Why you continue to deny that it exists is beyond me.
I still maintain..... the main group and probably where the term got penned. IS SOME PRETENTIOUS NEW YORKERS. SEEING CHICAGO AND MOST IN BETWEEN NYC AND LA, SF. FLY-OVER.....It is NOT really heard in the rest of the country for Chicago. Perhaps in general the Midwest But most realize Chicago is the 3rd Largest city and Metro in the US.

There might be some on the West Coast too. Pretentious enough to say something as that too? But I clearly see the PHRASE AS A NEW YORK SUPERIORITY... THAT CHICAGO IS FLYOVER and probably appeared in print somewhere there Top. Just as the first penned Chicago Windy.. or its Politicians as Windbags to believe Chicago could Host a WORLD'S FAIR. IN THE 1800s. But they surely did.... with Great SUCESS.

Last edited by steeps; 09-30-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
Quote:
People call anywhere that's not on the coast flyover country to demean that place. Why should Chicago get a pass?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,591,754 times
Exactly.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,377,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
People call anywhere that's not on the coast flyover country to demean that place. Why should Chicago get a pass?
Yup. A few people on this thread, for some reason, deny that this is what exists. It exists. Hence this thread.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Apparently I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn WizardOfRadical got banned about a month ago for being an obnoxious, loathsome troll and attacking people for no reason. No one here gives his nonsense even the slightest regard.
I've never been banned, so yea you are mistaken.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 AM

^ One for jennifat, 342 for you.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM

28,166 posts, read 26,106,911 times
Quote:
That would be because those cities are closer to the entry point of the country for foreigners...because geography. Chicago is about 800 miles from the nearest ocean. Miami is on the coast. Which is 0 miles. Check out a map some time
That's true. Though Chicago is closer to China than New York and still fails to draw as many Chinese tourists.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true. Though Chicago is closer to China than New York and still fails to draw as many Chinese tourists.
Sure, because New York is...New York. I'd concede if it were Providence or Jacksonville. Proximity is the biggest factor when speaking of "foreign visitors."

Old 10-02-2015, 10:56 AM

28,166 posts, read 26,106,911 times
Quote:
Sure, because New York is...New York. I'd concede if it were Providence or Jacksonville. Proximity is the biggest factor when speaking of "foreign visitors."
Does Chicago get more Asian tourists than Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City