U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
You don't know me and I don't rip Chicago, but to stay on topic, how is it that the 3rd largest city in the nation gets outshined by so many smaller cities (Las Vegas, Orlando, San Francisco, Miami, DC, and arguably San Diego)?
Outshined how? By Phoenix and Atlanta (as the thread states)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:52 PM

1,078 posts, read 894,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Outshine as in international tourism, this leads to perhaps the notion of Chicago being "overlooked/flyover".

Old 09-09-2015, 06:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
Quote:
Outshine as in international tourism, this leads to perhaps the notion of Chicago being "overlooked/flyover".
Oh, well just because a city isn't a tourist attraction, doesn't make it flyover or overlooked. I don't think Chicago is known as a tourist attraction...even though it does pretty well.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, well just because a city isn't a tourist attraction, doesn't make it flyover or overlooked. I don't think Chicago is known as a tourist attraction...even though it does pretty well.
I agree, I feel that both Chicago and Philadelphia are hidden gems from an American International perspective, I wasn't attacking the city itself as I think it's a great city, certainly not overlooked domestically.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Quote:
Who said outshined by Phoenix and Atlanta? Oh, you did.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,689 times
The problem with Chicago is its brand when looked abroad is a smaller version of New York. After a international tourist has done the big city metropolis thing they are looking for a different atmosphere the second time around. Los Angeles and the smaller cities of San Francisco, Miami, Las Vegas and Washington DC offer just that. Chicago has great food and some cool museums but it isn't enough to justify a expensive overseas trip for the average person that may fly overseas once a year. Chicago isn't just up against other U.S. Cities, but other world destinations as well.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Quote:
I agree, I feel that both Chicago and Philadelphia are hidden gems from an American International perspective, I wasn't attacking the city itself as I think it's a great city, certainly not overlooked domestically.
Chicago's Domestic Tourist still give it some Bragging rights. Maybe a lot are Midwesterners visiting? But still in Domestic Tourist numbers... Chicago is up there with RESORT cities and NYC. Just in INTERNATIONAL TOURIST. It is much more flyover then Orlando/NYC/Miami on the East Coast, and LA/SF on the West Coast.

AGAIN...
CHICAGO hit 50 million tourist in 2014. 48.5 million Domestic. That best NYC by more then 4 million domestic. But NYC adding INTERNATIONAL TOURIST puts its numbers way up.....

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV

Orlando - 62 million visitors
NYC - 56 million visitors
Chicago - 50 million visitors
Los Angeles - 44 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Atlanta - 36 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 19 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Surely YOU SAW MY POST BEFORE? I could be on your ignore? You keep it ON CHICAGO'S INTERNATIONAL TOURIST NUMBERS... ALONE.

When it is CLEAR NYC, LA and SF basically the coast. STEAL THE GLORY. NYC is THE WORLDS CITY. The WORLD Wants to see it. Portrayed for many decades in movies. LA is Hollywood and well California to the World. Easiest also for Asians to reach. Along with San Francisco. Which as seen as Americas most liked city by Europeans too. Orlando is DISNEY. Still a MAJOR draw. Domestic and International Tourist. Miami too, especially for Latin American Tourist.

So Chicago would be 4th or more? On FUTURE VISITS of International Tourist to the US. They also see it too much like NYC once they visit there. So another side of America is preferred.

But overall it performs third. Maybe LA is not performing well enough Domestically? Or San Francisco?

Instead you merely dwell on International tourist alone? Which is the ONLY SEGMENT of Tourist. Is It..... Total Visitor numbers DO COUNT?

Last edited by steeps; 09-09-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Chicago's Domestic Tourist still give it some Bragging rights. Maybe a lot are Midwesterners visiting? But still in Domestic Tourist numbers... Chicago is up there with RESORT cities and NYC. Just in INTERNATIONAL TOURIST. It is much more flyover then Orlando/NYC/Miami on the East Coast, and LA/SF on the West Coast.

AGAIN...
CHICAGO hit 50 million tourist in 2014. 48.5 million Domestic. That best NYC by more then 4 million domestic. But NYC adding INTERNATIONAL TOURIST puts its numbers way up.....

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | CLTV

Orlando - 62 million visitors
NYC - 56 million visitors
Chicago - 50 million visitors
Los Angeles - 44 million visitors
Las Vegas - 41 million visitors
Atlanta - 36 million visitors
Dallas - 21 million visitors
San Fran - 19 million visitors
Houston - 15 million visitors
Miami - 14 million visitors
New Orleans - 9 million visitors

Surely YOU SAW MY POST BEFORE? I could be on your ignore? You keep it ON CHICAGO'S INTERNATIONAL TOURIST NUMBERS... ALONE.

When it is CLEAR NYC, LA and SF basically the coast. STEAL THE GLORY. NYC is THE WORLDS CITY. The WORLD Wants to see it. Portrayed for many decades in movies. LA is Hollywood and well California to the World. Easiest also for Asians to reach. Along with Fan Francisco. Which as seen as Americas most liked city by Europeans too. Orlando is DISNEY. Still a MAJOR draw. Domestic and International Tourist.

So Chicago would be 4th or more? On FUTURE VISITS of International Tourist to the US. They also see it too much like NYC once they visit there. So another side of America is preferred.

But overall it performs third. Maybe LA is not performing well enough Domestically? Or San Francisco?

Instead you merely dwell on International tourist alone? Which is the ONLY SEGMENT of Tourist. It is..... Total Visitor numbers DO COUNT.
I clearly emphasized international for a reason, I said it's perhaps the only reason Chicago is considered "flyover", otherwise the term would not apply to Chicago as it is very well known domestically.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,659,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
There's more to cities than the economy, bo. Seattle is far more interesting than Houston or Dallas on multiple levels.
Houston and Dallas blow Seattle away in numbers in many more ways. Maybe Seattle would be top 10 in your opinion, but statistically? People probably find Las Vegas, Orlando, and New Orleans more interesting, but that doesn't make them top 10 cities in the country. In order to be a top city, economy plays a huge part. NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Houston, DC, SF, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami are undoubtedly the top cities in the nation with Seattle following behind.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 PM

66 posts, read 52,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Houston and Dallas blow Seattle away in numbers in many more ways. Maybe Seattle would be top 10 in your opinion, but statistically? People probably find Las Vegas, Orlando, and New Orleans more interesting, but that doesn't make them top 10 cities in the country. In order to be a top city, economy plays a huge part. NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Houston, DC, SF, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami are undoubtedly the top cities in the nation with Seattle following behind.
Las Vegas (gambling) and Orlando (theme parks) are entirely niche cities for tourism, which was pretty dumb to bring up. New Orleans isn't as reliant as the former because its not a niche industry city.

You've listed 11 cities (and listed LA twice).

Seattle is completely behind NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC and SF. That makes 7 cities off the bat.

Finding three more cities out of Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas? Not that hard.

All around perspective, Seattle certainly is top 10 and id personally rank it ahead of Houston and Dallas.

If im showing a foreign friend ten cities in America, you bet your ass im showing Seattle ahead of Dallas and Houston.

Dallas and Houston, the paper tigers of citydata that don't pass the eye test for urban experience. Two of the most boring major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City