Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
Las Vegas (gambling) and Orlando (theme parks) are entirely niche cities for tourism, which was pretty dumb to bring up. New Orleans isn't as reliant as the former because its not a niche industry city.

You've listed 11 cities (and listed LA twice).

Seattle is completely behind NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC and SF. That makes 7 cities off the bat.

Finding three more cities out of Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas? Not that hard.

All around perspective, Seattle certainly is top 10 and id personally rank it ahead of Houston and Dallas.

If im showing a foreign friend ten cities in America, you bet your ass im showing Seattle ahead of Dallas and Houston.

Dallas and Houston, the paper tigers of citydata that don't pass the eye test for urban experience. Two of the most boring major cities.
That wasn't dumb to bring up at all, considering those cities are very entertaining and I'm sure people would go there over the other places any day too. Dallas and Houston are far from boring though. They have so much to do. If you personally think Seattle is a top 10 city, that's fine. I'd put it in my top 10 too. But statistically, Seattle is NOT top 10 in the country. Dallas and Houston destroy Seattle in numbers.

I don't see why people on C-D can't give credit where it's due. Dallas and Houston are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm the one who responded to someone else regarding this and I'm the one that you responded to initially, telling me that I was incorrect. Therefore, I am defining what we are speaking about. Atlanta is THE busiest airport in the world (again) when it comes to passenger count.
No, I will decide what topics I cover, and yes, you were incorrect. You have no clue. There are many ways to determine "busiest airport," and O'Hare pops up as often as ATL on current rankings. Additionally, as kidphilly pointed out, the ATL figures are a bit of a chimera (as a connector hub, 1 passenger often counts as 4), and Chicago has more actual plane movement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
it all depends on the metric for airports

ATL has the most passengers pas through
ORD the most plane movements
LAX the most O&D passengers (meaning the ones that enter or leave and not jsut connect)
NYC has the highest passenger volume of any market (Also the most Int'l passengers)

on the Chicago vs Atlanta ORD has more O&D when compared to ATL and more flights Atlanta has more passenger through its airport One thing to rmemeber for a massive connector hub like ATL, one passenger making a trip requiring a connection in ATL counts as 4 for the trip alnd and tak off twice etc. I think only like 20 or 25% of the passenger count for ATL actually enter or leave the airport, impresive in a way really

ORD and ATL are both massive complexes along with DFW IMHO

LAX is crazy but different

surprisingly PHL is a top ten plane movement airport, think all the RJs
So, in my book, currently O'Hare is the busiest airport in the country, not ATL. Since there is debate even amongst professionals, I am perfectly fine with that conclusion, given all the info available.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
So, in my book, currently O'Hare is the busiest airport in the country, not ATL. Since there is debate even amongst professionals, I am perfectly fine with that conclusion, given all the info available.
O'Hare is the third busiest airport in the U.S. and eighth busiest airport in the world. It's the 4th largest air hub in the U.S. and top 15 worldwide. It hasn't been the busiest airport for at least 20-30 years.

Not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, but there you go. Airport traffic is a function of two things- relative metro area size, and where airlines have their transfer hubs. Chicago is the third largest U.S. city and the fourth largest U.S. air hub (after NYC, LA, and Atlanta), so about right where you expect it to be. Really only Atlanta is an outlier (because it's a giant Delta hub, even bigger than Chicago's United hub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

Old 09-11-2015, 10:30 AM

^ We were all at the edge of our seats wondering which side of the "issue" you were going to come down on. Thanks again for your "input" regarding Chicago and other Midwestern topics which you know nothing about. Someone should designate you Forum Jester.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
While O'hare is still busy, it isn't the busiest in the country anymore (hasn't been for quite some time). Atlanta has been the busiest airport in the country for several years now, followed by LAX (since 2012).
I read somewhere that ORD was up to #1 again as of last year. Once the new runways are completed, it will once again regain the lead for the forseeable future.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Chicago IS fly over country. Have you been there? People still wear cargo shorts like it's 1999.
Awwww, someone's mad that Chicago gets more visitors than his city in CA.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Chicago has it's own culture, always has - every bit as much as Brooklyn, but not portrayed in the media as such. A native Chicagoan looks, acts, and talks a particular way. Everybody else (in-migrants) are all "foreign." All those other cities you mentioned have developed relatively recently (the last 20 - 40 years) and have populations of very mixed origins. You can't compare the two.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Chicago has it's own culture, always has - every bit as much as Brooklyn, but not portrayed in the media as such. A native Chicagoan looks, acts, and talks a particular way. Everybody else (in-migrants) are all "foreign." All those other cities you mentioned have developed relatively recently (the last 20 - 40 years) and have populations of very mixed origins. You can't compare the two.
So Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver have only developed in the last 40 years?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:01 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
So Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver have only developed in the last 40 years?
Obviously not, but I think I get the point. They certainly have exploded in growth since the 70s and emerged as bigger players instead of just regional ones.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I read somewhere that ORD was up to #1 again as of last year. Once the new runways are completed, it will once again regain the lead for the forseeable future.
Very much true. I posted the link explaining this, though that's meaningless to some who have already determined their "stance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City