U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Aurora, CO vs Mesa, AZ
Aurora, CO 22 62.86%
Mesa, AZ 13 37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:13 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,900,426 times

Advertisements

Which suburbs do you think have the pros and cons of each? Both are similar in population (300k-600k) and size.

1. Entertainment
2. Weather
3. COL (cost of living)
4. Downtown
5. Dining
6. Atmosphere
7. Education
8. Jobs
9. Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:05 PM

thread bump

Old 09-13-2015, 12:02 AM

298 posts, read 300,963 times
I live on the border or Tempe and Mesa, but can't really comment on Aurora. Mesa is steadily growing, just got the light rail last month, but I just see it as Suburbia, and not the best one in the area. Tempe on the other hand has everything going for it against Aurora just from a quick Google search.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 AM

5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
I have a bias for Aurora since I live here and don't know much about Mesa. I'll just comment on Auora and maybe someone can compare with Mesa.

1. Entertainment- For such a large suburbs, this has to be one of the more bland areas of Denver. Can't think of much.
2. Weather- I prefer Semi-Arid over Arid
3. COL (cost of living)- Aurora is pretty expensive overall. The north is a bit more "rough", older, crime ridden so it's cheaper but still kinda expensive for what it is. The good, new, more cookie cutter suburban areas to the south are really expensive, but worth it.
4. Downtown- Aurora has failed to create a real downtown. There's a huge field across from the Aurora Towne Center where Downtown Aurora was suppose to be located, but it never came to be for some reason.
5. Dining- Mostly chain restaurants
6. Atmosphere- Just a very suburban atmosphere.
7. Education- Aurora School District isn't amazing, but not as bad as Denver public schools. Cherry Creek (to the south) is one of the best rated districts in Colorado and the country.
8. Jobs- The jobs are really located in Denver. I think the job market is doing fine though.
9. Shopping- Aurora is pretty good for shopping. Many strip malls, the Aurora Towne Center, and Southlands Malls in the newer South side (the largest Outdoor mall in the country!)

Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,616,489 times
Your forgetting a few biggies Mezter! I work on Buckley AFB. A Gigantic economic boom for the city! No need to tell you who all is housed on the base and how important it is to the US!!!! And also the Anschutz medical campus. It is becoming one of the largest in the US!!!

Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM

6,350 posts, read 3,448,085 times
Lived in both. Aurora and Mesa are sort of similar but I give the nod to Mesa. It has better public transportation, it's own growing airport, ASU Campus and now light rail. I'd place it generally a step over Aurora. That's not to say anything bad about Aurora both are bland bloated bedroom communities. Mesa just has better assets and a better downtown.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,153,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I have a bias for Aurora since I live here and don't know much about Mesa. I'll just comment on Auora and maybe someone can compare with Mesa.

1. Entertainment- For such a large suburbs, this has to be one of the more bland areas of Denver. Can't think of much.
2. Weather- I prefer Semi-Arid over Arid
3. COL (cost of living)- Aurora is pretty expensive overall. The north is a bit more "rough", older, crime ridden so it's cheaper but still kinda expensive for what it is. The good, new, more cookie cutter suburban areas to the south are really expensive, but worth it.
4. Downtown- Aurora has failed to create a real downtown. There's a huge field across from the Aurora Towne Center where Downtown Aurora was suppose to be located, but it never came to be for some reason.
5. Dining- Mostly chain restaurants
6. Atmosphere- Just a very suburban atmosphere.
7. Education- Aurora School District isn't amazing, but not as bad as Denver public schools. Cherry Creek (to the south) is one of the best rated districts in Colorado and the country.
8. Jobs- The jobs are really located in Denver. I think the job market is doing fine though.
9. Shopping- Aurora is pretty good for shopping. Many strip malls, the Aurora Towne Center, and Southlands Malls in the newer South side (the largest Outdoor mall in the country!)
You could interchangebly switch Aurora to Mesa in this post and it would still be accurate. I'm not a big fan of Mesa, there are many suburbs in Phoenix that are much better.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:40 PM

I obviously voted Aurora, only been to Mekong Plaza in Mesa last summer. Kind of a neat Asian shopping experience, sort of like the Pacific Ocean Marketplace in Aurora a few blocks west of I-225 and Mississippi.

1. Entertainment - Tie?
2. Weather - Summer/Aurora Winter/Mesa
3. COL (cost of living) - Mesa
4. Downtown - Aurora
5. Dining - Tie, it depends what kind of dining you're into.
6. Atmosphere - Tie
7. Education - Aurora (Cherry Creek school district)
8. Jobs - Aurora
9. Shopping - Tie

Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Lived in both. Aurora and Mesa are sort of similar but I give the nod to Mesa. It has better public transportation, it's own growing airport, ASU Campus and now light rail. I'd place it generally a step over Aurora. That's not to say anything bad about Aurora both are bland bloated bedroom communities. Mesa just has better assets and a better downtown.
Aurora has the light rail coming through Fitzsimons pkwy near the CU Anschultz Medical campus. It is slated to connect to the line that goes to Denver International Airport. The actual light rail to DIA will be opened April 2016 from Union Station.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM

139 posts, read 146,858 times
Mesa by far! I prefer the entire Phoenix metro area to the Denver metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or