U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,719,547 times

Advertisements

Global Language Monitor releases an annual fashion capital ranking of 50 or so world cities each year at the conclusion of New York Fashion Week and other prominent fashion weeks. They're the most authoritative name in ranking cities for fashion in the world and they work extensively with the fashion industry itself. They are widely considered the foremost authority on fashion rankings in the world and are widely seen as the most credible and extensive ranking agency in the field. No contest.

I made the thread last year on City-Data in City-versus-City and will be doing it again this year.

Last years thread: Global Language Monitor's top fashion capitals in North America

02. New York
04. Los Angeles
19. Miami
20. Dallas
24. Boston
26. Las Vegas
27. Chicago
28. Toronto
30. Houston
32. Atlanta
37. San Francisco
45. Austin
47. Montreal
52. Vancouver
53. Mexico City
54. Washington, D.C. (debut this year -- most anticipated it would anyhow)

Fashion Capitals | The Global Language Monitor

Unlike last year where my thread ran into a booster whose problems could be summed up in the vein that his city didn't make the cut, I would request people act in a more civil manner this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:14 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Thanks for posting this.

It goes along with something Ive said for years: Dallas is hugely underrated in terms of fashion and influence on fashion. Its not Miami, NYC, or LA, but its still a very solid fashion center.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times
Great to see D.C. seems to be rising in every ranking imaginable. Food, fashion, etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Los Angeles impressively retained its 4th place global rank. Two years in a row now that Los Angeles has been 4th in the world. Impressive.

I did a Google search of "Los Angeles fashion capital" and the results were impressive things being said about Los Angeles Fashion Week by Parisian fashion designers and new styles that have launched from the city in casual wear.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,227,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Los Angeles impressively retained its 4th place global rank. Two years in a row now that Los Angeles has been 4th in the world. Impressive.

I did a Google search of "Los Angeles fashion capital" and the results were impressive things being said about Los Angeles Fashion Week by Parisian fashion designers and new styles that have launched from the city in casual wear.
One of my London acquaintances was giving me grief a couple years back over over LA fashion. Her comment was something like "LA designers just copy NY and London, innit?" or something like that.

Saw her on Facebook recently wearing something from a well known LA designer and needless to say I didn't let her hear the end of it.

Ah, schadenfreude.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM

21,952 posts, read 30,822,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Great to see D.C. seems to be rising in every ranking imaginable. Food, fashion, etc. etc. etc.

is it rising or was actually evaluated for the first time, no slight to DC more a question of the actual methodology

Austin (where the study was conducted) in while many other more prominent cities are out.

And Red calls this the most important or something, without knowing the actual methodology how can that statement be made

Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
is it rising or was actually evaluated for the first time, no slight to DC more a question of the actual methodology

Austin (where the study was conducted) in while many other more prominent cities are out.

And Red calls this the most important or something, without knowing the actual methodology how can that statement be made
I know their methodology. I reviewed it last year.

This is the firm that coined the Big 4 of fashion in 2003 as New York, Paris, Milan, and London -- which is now universally known as the big 4 in fashion. The references all of these cities have made in the fashion industry as a perennial Big 4 has been there for over 15 years.

This is primarily because GLM became one of the first firms to study and rank cities on fashion and still today are one of the only few that do. There are 2-3 other widely known publications too, including one that includes Columbus, Ohio for its creative team of designers.

They're considered the foremost authority on the subject largely because they're one of the only ones that study this field and also because they provide services in algorithmic big data collection. They're a well respected source that works with Forbes on their Fortune 500 tabulations as well.
Quote:
In 2003, The Global Language Monitor (GLM) was founded in Silicon Valley by Paul J.J. Payack on the understanding that new technologies and techniques were necessary for truly understanding the world of Big Data, as it is now known. Previous to this Payack was the founding president at yourDictionary.com, and a senior executive for a number of leading high tech companies.

Today, from Austin, GLM provides a number of innovative products and services that utilize its ‘algorithmic services’ to help worldwide customers protect, defend and nurture their branded products and entities. Products include ‘brand audits’ to assess the current status, establish baselines, and competitive benchmarks for current intellectual assets and brands, and to defend products against ambush marketing.

These services are currently provided to the Fortune 500, the Higher Education market, high technology firms, the worldwide print and electronic media, and the global fashion industry, among others.
Their methodology:
Quote:
Methodology: For this analysis, the Global Language Monitor used its proprietary Brand Affiliation Index (BAI), the same technology used to measure global brand equity for the Olympics, World Cup, the Fortune 500, and others. This exclusive, GLM longitudinal-study encompasses the prior three years to better assess short-term velocity and longer-term momentum. The study is a Big Data textual analysis based on billions of webpages, millions of blogs, the top 375,000 global print and electronic media, and new social media formats as they appear. This is the eleventh edition of the survey, which was first made public in 2007.
Quote:
Austin's only been on their last 2 rankings this year and last year. The first 9, it was never present, and as it is its in the lower 40s to 50s. No mistaking it for a world fashion capital, it isn't.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM

but do they evlauate all places, meaning was DC included last year or included this year for the first time

and honestly I am really struggling to hear that Austin ranks higher than Montreal or Mexico City TBH

Old 09-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
but do they evlauate all places, meaning was DC included last year or included this year for the first time
This year is Washington's debut.
Quote:
b
and honestly I am really struggling to hear that Austin ranks higher than Montreal or Mexico City TBH
That's fine. Not everyone agrees with everything in the world, that's why there are 214 countries and not 1. Would you happen to have a better study or something from another reputable firm?

To be clear, I am not saying I support Austin's ranking on the list either. I am not in the fashion industry and am not an expert on the field, so I don't know what each scene is like. I don't quite understand why we're even talking about that city as it is honestly.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
This year is Washington's debut.

That's fine. Not everyone agrees with everything in the world, that's why there are 214 countries and not 1. Would you happen to have a better study or something from another reputable firm?

To be clear, I am not saying I support Austin's ranking on the list either. I am not in the fashion industry and am not an expert on the field, so I don't know what each scene is like. I don't quite understand why we're even talking about that city as it is honestly.

nor am I and not really saying their methodology is flawed (all are in some way or another) And not sayings its not reputable either really though a few jumped out to me but honestly am not an expert my issue is more rankings that exclude places from even being evaluated

DC does not jump out as a fashion mecca to me (maybe some niches) NYC, LA, or even Miami would seem to moreso with some other obvious Int'l cities (Paris, Milan, London etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or