U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is better?
Atlanta 52 59.09%
Phoenix 36 40.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM
 
27,716 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The sprawl factor is not nearly equal for both cities. It's a very common myth that Phoenix is uber sprawled



Phoenix's urban area is actually denser than quite a few cities. It covers less than half the land area that Atlanta's does and is near double the density.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas
Phoenix just has denser sprawl is all, which Western cities in particular tend to have.

What Density Doesn't Tell Us About Sprawl - ACCESS Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Westside Grand Rapids
3,570 posts, read 3,035,151 times
Reputation: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Phoenix just has denser sprawl is all, which Western cities in particular tend to have.

What Density Doesn't Tell Us About Sprawl - ACCESS Magazine

All cities, even the elitist poster children have sprawl. It's unavoidable, as a city grows up, it also grows out. The density/sprawl argument has long been one of my least favorite arguments on here. As it stands per the definition of sprawl Phoenix is less sprawled than it is perceived, and certainly less sprawled than Atlanta. It's not an argument for or against either city, just stating a fact. There's a clear reason Atlanta is winning this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 AM
 
27,716 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
All cities, even the elitist poster children have sprawl. It's unavoidable, as a city grows up, it also grows out. The density/sprawl argument has long been one of my least favorite arguments on here. As it stands per the definition of sprawl Phoenix is less sprawled than it is perceived, and certainly less sprawled than Atlanta. It's not an argument for or against either city, just stating a fact. There's a clear reason Atlanta is winning this poll.
I'd say per the popular conception of sprawl, not so much the actual definition (of which there is more than one).

Even so, it's possible that Atlanta is both more sprawled and more urban than Phoenix at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Westside Grand Rapids
3,570 posts, read 3,035,151 times
Reputation: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say per the popular conception of sprawl, not so much the actual definition (of which there is more than one).

Even so, it's possible that Atlanta is both more sprawled and more urban than Phoenix at the same time.
I certainly wasn't trying to infer otherwise in my posts. Phoenix's built environment is underrated IMO, but it doesn't compare to Atlanta's. When you walk down Central Ave in Phoenix you have a couple blocks of urbanity downtown, followed by what's a little more urban than suburban office park in Uptown to the north. When I walk down Peach tree from Downtown to Buckhead (yes I have done this more than once) Atlanta feels world class in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top