U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,052,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It definitely gets a lot of credit here. I wasn't referencing anyone here. But I know some other places even around here do have that sentiment. Of all places, WV seems to have a very negative view of KY. No offense to WV, but WV doesn't have much room to talk. Maybe people in this part of the country know more about it, but almost nobody in California has a positive view of it. I have friends here from NJ and NY and they've also said that their areas don't have a positive view of KY. I think it's part of the coast mentality that everything in the middle sucks. But anytime any of the CA or NJ/NY friends visit Louisville, they all leave with a positive view

This is because the great majority of Californians have been convinced they are somehow elevated in humanity by geographic proximity alone. Their pop culture opinions on life give them an often nave appearance which usually isn't unfounded. When I was in college my ex and I were at a Chargers game at Qualcomm. One of the San Diegans asked me if I had ever been to a place that big when they found out I grew up in Minnesota. This is a caricature, but also a good representation of people from CA's view of anything east of Phoenix. So I tend to take their opinions with less weight given diminished experience outside of their bubbles.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,153,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
every single person I have brought to Louisville be it national or international friends were so surprised (in a good way) by what I show them in Louisville. The universal opinion was "This is not what I expected."
Usually a pretty good sign that a place does not have a generally good reputation, and is probably not regarded as particularly "hip", quite the opposite, in fact.

The only one of these cities that is anything like "hip" is Nashville. The other 3 have much to offer, but hipness isn't one of those things. Hipness is fickle, though...

Last edited by SPonteKC; 09-29-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM

2,996 posts, read 2,407,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If Louisville wasn't in the state of Kentucky, it would be a much better and bigger city. The stereotype of Kentucky is Kim Davis and her clones. She's more than 2 hours from Louisville and basically everyone in Louisville supports the LGBT population and hates the Kim Davises of the state. In fact, I've come to learn that most of the state hates Louisville for being too liberal and big and progressive and diverse, while Louisville hates the rest of the state for giving it a bad image of being filled with backwards rednecks who carry their guns with them and sleep with their sisters and live in double wides if they're real fancy. Louisville couldn't be more different from Kentucky. Even cross the river into Southern Indiana and it's basically just as bad as small town Kentucky.

Basically, none of these cities sound like the worst places to live. Nashville sounds like the best and probably is the best at nearly everything. But honestly, until I visited Louisville, I had no idea it was going to be like this. After moving here, I've actually come to love the city. I don't plan on living here forever because I want to live in Europe or Latin America anyways. I think if Louisville can shake the image of "Kentucky" then it will look much better nationally. It has a lot going for it and definitely has a cooler vibe than Indy. UofL and the city in general have a lot of people from Indiana (the whole state, not just Southern Indiana). They choose Lou over Indy because it's more liberal, it's more fun, the food scene is better, etc. Thrillist has a page for Louisville and Nashville, but not KC or Indy, for example.
Really, you could say the same about CO or LA. Take Denver or New Orleans out of them, and they are pretty similar to rural KY. Parts of CO Springs and rural CO can be hard core right wing.

But I totally agree with you that none of these cities would be the worst place to live. We can contest about the details (this has been an interesting thread ), but none of these cities are even as different as CO Springs is to Denver. They are all for the most part, kind of similar.

As far as job prospects, they all look pretty good as I'm searching online for openings. Louisville has more healthcare/actuary focus, Indy more insurance, and Kansas city more commodity/ag Econ type of stuff, but they all have openings in my area of study.

The net appeal to this whole area is low COL, high QOL (it's not Memphis or rural Alabama even though COL isn't that much more than these areas), rebounding economies, and pretty decent weather where it's enjoyable for the most part. There's parts of the year in all the seasons that are rather lame, but it's no Houston summer or MSP winter. That's what draws me to it. I have St. Louis and the three Ohio cities on my list to look at as well.

Other factors I like is the lack of natural disasters in this area comparatively (except the New Madrid fault is worrisome). Also the people in this area seem pretty balanced and practical from what I've read, unlike Cali or Miami or Portland.

I liked the point you made Peter about the land area size of KC. I knew it was a big city, but I didn't know it was that big.

Last edited by Phil P; 09-29-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,203,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Usually a pretty good sign that a place does not have a generally good reputation, and is probably not regarded as particularly "hip", quite the opposite, in fact.

The only one of these cities that is anything like "hip" is Nashville. The other 3 have much to offer, but hipness isn't one of those things. Hipness is fickle, though...
It's just not true. Just here on this board we have three coastal transplants and one from Chicago (me) who are telling you KC and Indy can't touch Louisville on the hip/cool factor. Especially Indy. I give Louisville a slight nod over KC as it just seems more authentic and original. You would have to spend time in places like Mag Bar or Nachbar, Zanzibar, or the Back door at 4 am to get what I mean here.

Nashville is a bit more hip than Louisville. It's a bit younger and growing faster too. But it is not THAT far off. Louisville and Nashville are a lot alike actually. The main differences are as the posters noted, Louisville is in KY which not only has negative stereotypes, its agrarian minded, anti-city state government doesn't help. I guarantee you that Nashville and Indy don't pay 1 dollar in taxes and get 66 cents back like Louisville does. Louisville cannot even enact a local option sales tax (due to the state of KY blocking a vote) that taxes ONLY the city itself to pay for much needed infrastructure and amenity improvements, much like what has sparked OKC to be a great and up and coming city (a city KC should look out for to surpass it in the coming decades).

I also agree all 4 are decent cities, and despite some posters trying to make Louisville look smaller, in reality, it LIVES the same size as the other three and is much more affordable with less traffic and sprawl. Louisville has so many cool neighborhoods that outsiders don't even know about. Louisville is compact enough that I can enjoy every neighborhood, even in the same night....apps in the Highlands, entrees in Nulu, a wine bar and desert in New Albany, a lounge in downtown Louisville, and a late night dive and hipster diner at 5 am in Old Louisville. Even New Albany and Jeffersonville are hip and walkable in their downtowns complete with retail and grocery stores...they blow out of the water a place like Irvington in Indianapolis.

Indy posters just sit here and take potshots at Louisville, but have absolutely zero links to show that anyone other themselves think of their city as hip. If anything, Indy is the clear outlier here. KC, Louisville, and Nashville are much more hipster and authentic. Indy posters try to downplay that Google Fiber chose KC as their first fiber city, are committed to Nashville, and are now likely to coming to Louisville, yet they would be the first to brag if Indy got chosen. Face it, Indy is a nice place, but it is not a hip city. I think Louisville and Nashville stand out though.
http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...hird-most.html

Louisville and Kansas City are the absolute coolest cities you will find for the price. Find me an area as cool as the Highlands or the Plaza in a city ranked third or fourth cheapest in the USA like Louisville and KC.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,172,818 times
Quote:
It's just not true. Just here on this board we have three coastal transplants and one from Chicago (me) who are telling you KC and Indy can't touch Louisville on the hip/cool factor. Especially Indy. I give Louisville a slight nod over KC as it just seems more authentic and original. You would have to spend time in places like Mag Bar or Nachbar, Zanzibar, or the Back door at 4 am to get what I mean here.

Nashville is a bit more hip than Louisville. It's a bit younger and growing faster too. But it is not THAT far off. Louisville and Nashville are a lot alike actually. The main differences are as the posters noted, Louisville is in KY which not only has negative stereotypes, its agrarian minded, anti-city state government doesn't help. I guarantee you that Nashville and Indy don't pay 1 dollar in taxes and get 66 cents back like Louisville does. Louisville cannot even enact a local option sales tax (due to the state of KY blocking a vote) that taxes ONLY the city itself to pay for much needed infrastructure and amenity improvements, much like what has sparked OKC to be a great and up and coming city (a city KC should look out for to surpass it in the coming decades).

I also agree all 4 are decent cities, and despite some posters trying to make Louisville look smaller, in reality, it LIVES the same size as the other three and is much more affordable with less traffic and sprawl. Louisville has so many cool neighborhoods that outsiders don't even know about. Louisville is compact enough that I can enjoy every neighborhood, even in the same night....apps in the Highlands, entrees in Nulu, a wine bar and desert in New Albany, a lounge in downtown Louisville, and a late night dive and hipster diner at 5 am in Old Louisville. Even New Albany and Jeffersonville are hip and walkable in their downtowns complete with retail and grocery stores...they blow out of the water a place like Irvington in Indianapolis.

Indy posters just sit here and take potshots at Louisville, but have absolutely zero links to show that anyone other themselves think of their city as hip. If anything, Indy is the clear outlier here. KC, Louisville, and Nashville are much more hipster and authentic. Indy posters try to downplay that Google Fiber chose KC as their first fiber city, are committed to Nashville, and are now likely to coming to Louisville, yet they would be the first to brag if Indy got chosen. Face it, Indy is a nice place, but it is not a hip city. I think Louisville and Nashville stand out though.
http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...hird-most.html

Louisville and Kansas City are the absolute coolest cities you will find for the price. Find me an area as cool as the Highlands or the Plaza in a city ranked third or fourth cheapest in the USA like Louisville and KC.
Take from another chicago-in when I say Louisville is what it is. A nice midsize metro. An Indy resident talks about the shortcomings, just go to the forum. You, on the other hand act as if Lou is some utopia which it just isn't bruh.

http:// http://techpoint.org/2015/09...ange-sandwich/. There you go. Typing from my phone so not about to go digging.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 13,559,463 times
Quote:
Indy posters just sit here and take potshots at Louisville
Where?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,390,363 times
Quote:
Re: bolded.

Same can be said for Tennessee. The slackjaws in the legislature do their best to create state laws to submarine any Nashville ordinances they can. The urban counties and their suburban counterparts are the only counties that give more than they receive in tax dollars (which I would guess is true on a larger scale nationally).

Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Re: bolded.

Same can be said for Tennessee. The slackjaws in the legislature do their best to create state laws to submarine any Nashville ordinances they can. The urban counties and their suburban counterparts are the only counties that give more than they receive in tax dollars (which I would guess is true on a larger scale nationally).
Not true. Nashville is the capitol. So it does what it wants. TN government is in a different stratosphere than KY. Trust me on this one. The biggest things I hate about Louisville are state income tax and the way the state literally steals from Louisville to give to places that are nothing short of hopeless (i.e. Eastern KY).

Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,153,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I liked the point you made Peter about the land area size of KC. I knew it was a big city, but I didn't know it was that big.
It's actually the smallest of the 4 in terms of landmass, and also the both the densest and largest Urbanized Area of the 4. But they are all sprawly, autocentric and have cool, funky, if small, pre-war cores and loads of relatively bland, but obviously desirable (to many) annexed post-war suburbia.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Take from another chicago-in when I say Louisville is what it is. A nice midsize metro. An Indy resident talks about the shortcomings, just go to the forum. You, on the other hand act as if Lou is some utopia which it just isn't bruh.

http:// http://techpoint.org/2015/09...ange-sandwich/. There you go. Typing from my phone so not about to go digging.
Indy is a nice mid sized metro as well. Louisville is too, and so are KC and Nashville. That is why they are being compared.

Louisville has plenty of problems like many major cities. But for the hipster, artsy, foodie person on a budget...it IS a utopia. Louisville, like the other cities listed here, has issues with crime, racal segregation, and education, but no more than the other three cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or