U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 12:24 PM

187 posts, read 150,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clbeastmode View Post
I'm gonna keep this short. If crime rate is a large factor in deciding where you will live, the most places on the southeast side of the Missouri side of Kansas City is already off the table. It may have cheap housing, but it doesn't do you any good to have a cheap home if you have a high chance of being a victim of crime. Avoid the 64130 ZIP in KC. It's where I live, and it is one of the last places that you would want to be raising your kids in. Just gonna let you know, there is a reason that area has been nicknamed "Kansas City's Murder Factory."

LOL @ Murder Factory. I honestly believe that was a rather sensationalist headline concocted by the Star to scare people and generate buzz. It did its job, I see. Does that ZIP code (and that whole side of the city, for that matter) have its issues with crime...? Sure. No doubt. But I have a difficult time believing that that the part of KCMO has the worst issues. Swope Park (Zoo, Starlight Theater), Southeast High School, Brush Creek Comm Ctr, and Country View Market: Hood...? Yes. "Murder Factory...?" No. Not even close. Hardly the worst part of KC. The half of that ZIP code that sits south of 47th, while there is crime present, can't be significantly more rife with crime and/or murder(s) than points (or ZIP codes) located farther north or west. And that includes my own (64109).

Old 10-25-2015, 01:52 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,761,944 times
Yeah whatever. I understand you wanting to come across as the so-called "voice of reason", the "calm in the storm", "above the fray" if you will, but honestly I bet if Indianapolis was winning in this poll you wouldn't be dismissing these kinds of threads as "silly" and "madness" and posting such comments. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
These threads are so silly. So far, we have KCMO guy with the same KCMO stuff (we have an IKEA and a MLB team). Louisville guy dropped in with his same diatribe (hey you are stupid if you don't think Louisville is the best ever), and Columbus guy jumped in with the same stuff (hey we are also a mid sized midwest metro with similar amenities, come here pleeeeeeeeeez we are the best all other cities are suxor). There was even the sidebar over semantics and we are only on page three of the thread. Pro sports? What are they? Are you sure?

These threads are madness. How anyone can think they are getting real useful info from these is beyond me. You are better off throwing darts at a map and just going. As far as the OP's concerns, if you like MLB. Go to where the is MLB. If you like NBA, go to where there is NBA. You don't need the greek chorus of city data to tell you where that is.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:51 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,295,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yeah whatever. I understand you wanting to come across as the so-called "voice of reason", the "calm in the storm", "above the fray" if you will, but honestly I bet if Indianapolis was winning in this poll you wouldn't be dismissing these kinds of threads as "silly" and "madness" and posting such comments. Please.
There isn't any poll for Indy to lose. This is just a bunch of back and forth bantering. Besides as long as you're a hip city you got the competition beat.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:37 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,945,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
There isn't any poll for Indy to lose. This is just a bunch of back and forth bantering. Besides as long as you're a hip city you got the competition beat.
I agree. City vs. City threads seem to be frequently derailed by single posters from one city who think their city is the best in the world (Indy has one particularly bad booster). Then back and forth arguments continue until most people give up on convincing the crazy person, or the thread is closed. And Nashville is definitely the most "hip" city in this group in the eyes of most Americans, and I'm sure it would be winning in the poll if one had been included.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 PM

6,306 posts, read 13,214,788 times
Quote:
This. Agree 100%

Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,402,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This. Agree 100%
Not sure how you can agree with that. Especially as a moderator.

I've read a lot of TT's posts. I don't always agree with them....but I wouldn't say they are that homerish. TT seems to be a pretty level-headed poster to me. Everyone has some sort of bias of perspective. Including you.

My .02.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM

8,277 posts, read 13,573,743 times
Ralotte vs Orlampa vs Austonio vs Cleveburgh vs Louisinnati vs Buffchester

Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,995 times
I'm not going to say any city is "better" then any of the others.
They each have their own strong points.
But I will say this fact: KC consistently is in the top 15 cities in each of these categories that make a fine city.

Foodie (whether you believe it or not - DO your homework on this. It's true)

Live Music
(more live music venues per capita than nearly any city in the US)
(Nashville being the only of these that may be better)

Museums
(again DO your homework!)

Performing and Visual Arts
(new PAC and the Crossroads District-the 2nd largest art gallery neighborhood in the USA. and First Friday in the Crossroads Arts District)

Other categories...
Sports (KCs MLB & NFL trumps Nashville, Indy and Louisville)
Economy (Nashville wins)
Urban Vibe (KC wins this easily IMO, just can't beat KCs funky, artsy neighborhoods and gritty massive warehouse Districts)
Dedicated Transit (KC has a new, very cool streetcar system downtown)

Indys greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness. Everything is downtown (strength) but outside of the immediate downtown Indy just plain sux. You don't even feel like you're in a big city once you get outside of downtown.

Nashville is probably going to surpass these other cities in the next few years with it's growth.

Louisville probably is the most "charming" of the 4 and it's urban residential housing stock is best.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:57 AM

4,310 posts, read 3,379,143 times
Quote:
Exactly. Clearly, based on the comments, we all know which city is not going to win.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 AM

4,310 posts, read 3,379,143 times
Louisville just scored a 100 on the the MEI. The other cities have some work to do.

Louisville scores 100 in human Rights Campaign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or