U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM

8,277 posts, read 13,573,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Every city has this in fact. Outside downtown and nearby hoods, Broad Ripple, and parts north and east i.e Meridian-Kessler more than half of Indy is a wasteland. That is why Hamilton County continues to boom and is a constant threat to all the progress in downtown.
I was talking about the segregation, Chi and Lou essentially have a white half and a black half. That is not the case in Indianapolis.

As far as the rest of your commentary.................that is about as intelligent as saying the 42% increase in LaGrange's population since 2000 and the developments in Southern Indiana are a result of Louisville being a wasteland. Oh wait, it is Louisville, so it is regional cooperation for the good of all.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:55 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,176,449 times
Quote:
Every city has this in fact. Outside downtown and nearby hoods, Broad Ripple, and parts north and east i.e Meridian-Kessler more than half of Indy is a wasteland. That is why Hamilton County continues to boom and is a constant threat to all the progress in downtown.
But NYC is the same way. And Nashville. Even smaller cities like Lexington. Heck even in Orlando, which does't have this reputation, the entire West side of the city is a complete time bomb wasteland and has the highest percentage of homeless CHILDREN in the USA only miles from rich kids visiting Disney. It is not as bad out west, but it is much the same. I was shocked to see the vagrant, crime ridden hoods in Seattle. I would give them the 50/50 rating as well, although I have only spent about a week there total in my life, so I would like to see more.
No Indy is not like that at all. Each side has a mixture of poor, middle class and affluent. West and south even has rural.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,156,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Which is why his post has no credibility
Indy wins the sports category hands down....Indy 500 i mean come on why should we have to explain this?

Still not a sport.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:25 PM

6,306 posts, read 13,214,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I was talking about the segregation, Chi and Lou essentially have a white half and a black half. That is not the case in Indianapolis.

As far as the rest of your commentary.................that is about as intelligent as saying the 42% increase in LaGrange's population since 2000 and the developments in Southern Indiana are a result of Louisville being a wasteland. Oh wait, it is Louisville, so it is regional cooperation for the good of all.

hmmm , Indy is not segregated? Blue dots are blacks...those happen to be all almost universally decrepit neighborhoods on Indy's segregated near north side from census 2010 data. Louisville's segregation is the same as any major city, including Indy. And it is not a "half" of the city. There are plenty of whites in the west end of the city and it is complicated by geography which is the turn of the river (the west end is geographically hemmed in and surrounded by the river, a state line, and industry) What is Indy's excuse?

The comment on La Grange...it shows you are just looking stuff online and do not have enough experience in Louisville. My point was, Louisville doesn't have a suburban county with 300+k people. Carmel does not need Indy to exist. It has its own jobs, malls, housing, and even its own downtown. La Grange, on the other hand, doesn't even have a Target. This is both an advantage and disadvantage for Louisville (some people prefer a city like Indy with a great edge city like Carmel) but is also partially why Louisville is just substantially more hip and has more architecturally interesting, preserved hoods than Indy. My opinion is that if the 21st century city continues urbanizing, those cities with huge "edge cities" will actually end up declining. We will see if it holds up because Americans still have an insatiable appetite for suburban living. Take away Hamilton County and some other Indy sprawlburbs (Plainfield anyone?) and Louisville and Indy are identical in size. The MSA population differences lie directly in the fact that Louisville has suburbs, but no dominant edge city. La Grange is a bedroom community, yes, but is straight rural compared to Carmel/Fishers/Noblesville. A recent trip to the area made me appalled at how much that area has grown out in just the last 3 years! I spend most my time in downtown Indy when I visit, so a trip to Hamilton Co. was eye popping. I see it as a long term curse for Indy unless a viable commuter rail system is developed, which I doubt.

The most hip part of Indiana is actually Bloomington. Any long time Hoosier will admit this. Louisville is the "big city" version of Bloomington. Indy has plenty going for it like pro sports, decent shopping, etc. But it lacks that urban, indie, neighborhood, festive, foodie vibe. That's not to say that Indy lacks those things. It is just not the focus of the city like it is in Louisville, or on a smaller scale, Bloomington.
Attached Thumbnails
Kansas City vs Louisville vs Nashville vs Indianapolis-indianapolis-ind-black-people-live-mainly  

Last edited by Peter1948; 09-25-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,563,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't think that's true, but it depends on how you look at the term professional. When I think professional, I think major league.

KC Major League Teams:
Royals-MLB
Chiefs-NFL
Sporting KC-MLS

Indy Major League Teams:
Colts-NFL
Pacers-NBA
Fever-WNBA

A lot of people will argue the WNBA isn't actually major league, but even if you think it is, that still means both cities have the same number of major league teams. The Indians and Indy Eleven aren't at the top their respective sports, so they don't really deserve to be part of the conversation.
Nashville has the NFL Titans and NHL Predators...and if you're counting the WNBA then why not count AAA baseball and arena football? Both probably get more spectators than the WNBA.

My opinion on these four cities:
1. Louisville
2. Indianapolis
3. Nashville
4. Kansas City

Old 09-26-2015, 01:29 AM

4,310 posts, read 3,375,181 times
Quote:
But NYC is the same way. And Nashville. Even smaller cities like Lexington. Heck even in Orlando, which does't have this reputation, the entire West side of the city is a complete time bomb wasteland and has the highest percentage of homeless CHILDREN in the USA only miles from rich kids visiting Disney. It is not as bad out west, but it is much the same. I was shocked to see the vagrant, crime ridden hoods in Seattle. I would give them the 50/50 rating as well, although I have only spent about a week there total in my life, so I would like to see more.
Nashville is not like that, in fact. Many of the inner city neighborhoods are becoming increasingly diverse, mainly due to the gentrification, community policing, public housing/rehab phasing out into the metro area, number of transplants from other cities (especially the neighboring Midwestern states), and Nashville's reputation as a welcoming/hospitable destination. Of course there are extreme examples of poverty and wealthy living side by side (the Gulch/4th Avenue/Lafayette), that hopefully the new mayor will tackle with proposed lower cost housing options and a focus on mass transit.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 AM

4,310 posts, read 3,375,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Which is why his post has no credibility
her*

Quote:
Indy wins the sports category hands down. Amateur Sports Capital of the world. Headquarters for the NCAA.
Kansas City has the same number or major league sports teams.

Quote:
Indy 500 i mean come on why should we have to explain this?
Because everyone is not a white man that drinks beer and plays video games for fun. The majority of Americans watch football and basketball over the Indy 500.

Quote:
Regardless this thread is kind of stupid. the City VS City forum has really devolved into childish play where there is nothing helpful or credible to offer except your city sucks mine is awwwsome oh ya.
Which is exactly what you did in this response^.

Quote:
Maybe its time to close down the City VS City forum?
It's far too entertaining to close. Besides, this way I have something to read while I'm eating my organic popcorn.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:56 AM

8,277 posts, read 13,573,743 times
Quote:
hmmm , Indy is not segregated? Blue dots are blacks...those happen to be all almost universally decrepit neighborhoods on Indy's segregated near north side from census 2010 data. Louisville's segregation is the same as any major city, including Indy. And it is not a "half" of the city. There are plenty of whites in the west end of the city and it is complicated by geography which is the turn of the river (the west end is geographically hemmed in and surrounded by the river, a state line, and industry) What is Indy's excuse?

The comment on La Grange...it shows you are just looking stuff online and do not have enough experience in Louisville. My point was, Louisville doesn't have a suburban county with 300+k people. Carmel does not need Indy to exist. It has its own jobs, malls, housing, and even its own downtown. La Grange, on the other hand, doesn't even have a Target. This is both an advantage and disadvantage for Louisville (some people prefer a city like Indy with a great edge city like Carmel) but is also partially why Louisville is just substantially more hip and has more architecturally interesting, preserved hoods than Indy. My opinion is that if the 21st century city continues urbanizing, those cities with huge "edge cities" will actually end up declining. We will see if it holds up because Americans still have an insatiable appetite for suburban living. Take away Hamilton County and some other Indy sprawlburbs (Plainfield anyone?) and Louisville and Indy are identical in size. The MSA population differences lie directly in the fact that Louisville has suburbs, but no dominant edge city. La Grange is a bedroom community, yes, but is straight rural compared to Carmel/Fishers/Noblesville. A recent trip to the area made me appalled at how much that area has grown out in just the last 3 years! I spend most my time in downtown Indy when I visit, so a trip to Hamilton Co. was eye popping. I see it as a long term curse for Indy unless a viable commuter rail system is developed, which I doubt.

The most hip part of Indiana is actually Bloomington. Any long time Hoosier will admit this. Louisville is the "big city" version of Bloomington. Indy has plenty going for it like pro sports, decent shopping, etc. But it lacks that urban, indie, neighborhood, festive, foodie vibe. That's not to say that Indy lacks those things. It is just not the focus of the city like it is in Louisville, or on a smaller scale, Bloomington.
Come on man, take your homer glasses off for a moment.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,295,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Nashville has the NFL Titans and NHL Predators...and if you're counting the WNBA then why not count AAA baseball and arena football? Both probably get more spectators than the WNBA.

My opinion on these four cities:
1. Louisville
2. Indianapolis
3. Nashville
4. Kansas City
Since you brought it up then lets compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...ille,_Kentucky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Indianapolis

Louisville has five minor league professional and semi-professional teams.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:24 AM

1,480 posts, read 1,295,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is not like that, in fact. Many of the inner city neighborhoods are becoming increasingly diverse, mainly due to the gentrification, community policing, public housing/rehab phasing out into the metro area, number of transplants from other cities (especially the neighboring Midwestern states), and Nashville's reputation as a welcoming/hospitable destination. Of course there are extreme examples of poverty and wealthy living side by side (the Gulch/4th Avenue/Lafayette), that hopefully the new mayor will tackle with proposed lower cost housing options and a focus on mass transit.
Oh Plzzzzzzzz. Nashville is just as segregated as Louisville. As a matter of fact Kansas City, Nashville and Louisville are ALL more segregated than Indianapolis.

America’s Most Segregated Cities - 24/7 Wall St.

If you are going to be a homer at least have the facts to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or