Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:26 AM

389 posts, read 330,428 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with an earlier poster. Indianapolis is a great sports town. It hosts some nice sporting events for all flavors of sports fans. I personally prefer college and amateur sports over professional.

Last edited by ms12345; 09-26-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 11:00 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Come on man, take your homer glasses off for a moment.
I am from Chicago and have lived all over. Come for the St James art festival next week and I will show you why Louisville's neighborhood scene is superior to any mid sized city in this region.

To the Nashville poster, should I post the map that shows that city's sprawl and segregation? Face it. EVERY major city is segregated.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I have to agree with an earlier poster. Indianapolis is a great sports town. It hosts some nice sporting events for all flavors of sports fans. I personally prefer college and amateur sports over professional.
Then Louisville's college sport scene blows out this list. UofL (and even Bellarmine and Spalding in lower divisions) has athletic programs many times what the other cities in this poll have. Indy and KC are pro sports towns. Louisville wins handily in college sports. Nashville has a decent college sports scene with Vandy, but it is more of a pro town too.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Oh Plzzzzzzzz. Nashville is just as segregated as Louisville. As a matter of fact Kansas City, Nashville and Louisville are ALL more segregated than Indianapolis.

America’s Most Segregated Cities - 24/7 Wall St.

If you are going to be a homer at least have the facts to back it up.

All depends on methodology...

The 22 Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

Old 09-26-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Indianapolis homers have a false sense of the importance of their city due to its excellent downtown. In reality the strength of a city lies in her neighborhoods. Both Louisville and Nashville crush Indy in that regard.

Indy is clearly on that list as one of the most segregated in America and it corroborates with the map I posted. Just recently on the Indy forum, the non homers were asking if Indy could be the next Ferguson. The reality is Ferguson can happen anywhere. If you think your city is immune to it, you are blind to the current state of America.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Since you brought it up then lets compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...ille,_Kentucky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Indianapolis

Louisville has five minor league professional and semi-professional teams.
Okay then, let's compare them all:

Louisville - 5 minor league teams
Indianapolis - 3 major pro teams and 3 minor ones for a total of 6
Kansas City - 3 major pro teams and 2 minor ones for a total of 5
Nashville - 2 major pro teams and 3 minor ones for a total of 5

I didn't include things like indoor soccer or rugby, which all of these cities have. I think they look fairly even when you add the extra stuff. The differences would come with things like college sports, Super Bowls or the Indy 500...things like that. I think each city has racing venues and Louisville has the largest college sports team with Nashville in second, but Indianapolis has the NCAA HQ.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Indianapolis homers have a false sense of the importance of their city due to its excellent downtown. In reality the strength of a city lies in her neighborhoods. Both Louisville and Nashville crush Indy in that regard.

Indy is clearly on that list as one of the most segregated in America and it corroborates with the map I posted. Just recently on the Indy forum, the non homers were asking if Indy could be the next Ferguson. The reality is Ferguson can happen anywhere. If you think your city is immune to it, you are blind to the current state of America.
Wow, what a load of bull. The strength of any city lies in the PEOPLE, not made structures with no soul unable to think or feel.

As far as segregation, all depends on the metric. For example, Indy and Lou very different feel for a black man. Indy on at least 70% of its streets give or take, you will find at least one black, one white, one Hispanic. Even the the over majority (white/black/Hispanics) hoods. Everyone commingles better than a lot of other areas. Lou from all the times I've been there is blacks stay in your place and whites keep everything else. Hopefully that has changed somewhat over the past 2 years.

Now an Indy resident liking its downtown (that just happens to engulf 6 residential hoods in its borders) so what. Get a better downtown then just like Indy is trying to redevelop its hoods downtown adjacent. You are harping neighborhoods so in essence doing the same thing accept reverse. Neither is right or wrong, it's preference. Those with families in the mw tend to not want to be in hoods with clubs and bars but rather trails and parks. Perfectly fine and makes sense to not have drunk staggering strangers out and about with children near. Young people want the urban vibe. Perfectly fine, they can stagger home. Each city provides both but saying one is better because you say so is just bulls#$t.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:15 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Okay then, let's compare them all:

Louisville - 5 minor league teams
Indianapolis - 3 major pro teams and 3 minor ones for a total of 6
Kansas City - 3 major pro teams and 2 minor ones for a total of 5
Nashville - 2 major pro teams and 3 minor ones for a total of 5

I didn't include things like indoor soccer or rugby, which all of these cities have. I think they look fairly even when you add the extra stuff. The differences would come with things like college sports, Super Bowls or the Indy 500...things like that. I think each city has racing venues and Louisville has the largest college sports team with Nashville in second, but Indianapolis has the NCAA HQ.
In all fairness include everything. Indianapolis has 3 major pro teams and 5 minor pro team, 2 Division 1 college teams and 1 division 2 college team.

Major league teams:
(1) Indianapolis Colts
(2) Indianapolis Fever,
(3) Indianapolis Pacers

Minor league team:
(1) Indianapolis Indians (Int'l Triple A) Baseball
(2) Indy Eleven (NASL Div. 2) Soccer
(3) F.C. Indiana (WPSL Elite) Soccer
(4) Indianapolis Impalas (USA Rugby) Rugby
(5) Indy Fuel (ECHL Div. 3) Hockey

College:
Butler University Bulldogs (Div. 1)
Indianapolis University-Purdue University IUPUI Jaguars (Div. 1)
University of Indianapolis Greyhounds (Div. 2)

Do you want to compare sports complexes?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
In all fairness include everything. Indianapolis has 3 major pro teams and 5 minor pro team, 2 Division 1 college teams and 1 division 2 college team.

Major league teams:
(1) Indianapolis Colts
(2) Indianapolis Fever,
(3) Indianapolis Pacers

Minor league team:
(1) Indianapolis Indians (Int'l Triple A) Baseball
(2) Indy Eleven (NASL Div. 2) Soccer
(3) F.C. Indiana (WPSL Elite) Soccer
(4) Indianapolis Impalas (USA Rugby) Rugby
(5) Indy Fuel (ECHL Div. 3) Hockey

College:
Butler University Bulldogs (Div. 1)
Indianapolis University-Purdue University IUPUI Jaguars (Div. 1)
University of Indianapolis Greyhounds (Div. 2)

Do you want to compare sports complexes?
I don't think smaller sports teams should count in a discussion like this, and I didn't honestly want to look up every little organized team in each of these cities...there are probably a lot that you didn't even list for Indianapolis.

The college teams for Indy are all smaller and none have a Division I football team - which is the gauge of bigtime college athletic programs. I would imagine Indy has the upper hand on venues and large sporting events like the Super Bowl and NCAA Final Four.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You bring up a fair point. How about a study that uses various types of segregation indexes? Pick you poison and let the readers decide.

http://martinprosperity.org/media/Segregated%20City.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City