U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-11-2015, 06:51 PM
xdl xdl started this thread
 
8 posts, read 20,859 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I'm 22 and have wife and kids. I'm looking for a city where they have a list of things that's interest me

Best shopping
Better homes
Best job market/pay
Lowest cost of living
Nightlife
A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family
Sports
Different food choices to try
Lowest crime rate

If you have more info please let me know

 
Old 09-11-2015, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Reputation: 3001
Best shopping: Kansas City
Better homes: Most affordable homes: Louisville, Nicest Homes: Nashville
Best job market/pay: Nashville, Pay: None of these cities pay what they should given the increasing cost of living, but Kansas City is the best
Lowest cost of living: Louisville
Nightlife: Nashville
A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family: All of them have something to do
Sports: Kansas City is a big sports town
Different food choices to try: Kansas City
Lowest crime rate: Louisville
 
Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 1,287,504 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Best shopping: Kansas City
Better homes: Most affordable homes: Louisville, Nicest Homes: Nashville
Best job market/pay: Nashville, Pay: None of these cities pay what they should given the increasing cost of living, but Kansas City is the best
Lowest cost of living: Louisville
Nightlife: Nashville
A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family: All of them have something to do
Sports: Kansas City is a big sports town
Different food choices to try: Kansas City
Lowest crime rate: Louisville
Indianapolis has no redeeming qualities according to you.
 
Old 09-12-2015, 10:49 AM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Reputation: 1916
Best shopping - KC

Better homes - KC for urban (both new and old), Indy 2nd. 4 way tie for suburban housing

Best job market/pay - Indy for market, KC for pay

Lowest cost of living - don't know but its easy to find out using one of those col calculators

Nightlife - You are 22, so Nashville. if you were 32 I'd have a different answer.

A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family - all of them.

Sports - they all love sports. KC has the most pro sports, they are all neck and neck for collegiate sports, except Indy.

Different food choices to try - KC followed by Nashville and Lousville.

Lowest crime rate - I don't know.
 
Old 09-12-2015, 12:56 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 1,287,504 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Best shopping - KC

Better homes - KC for urban (both new and old), Indy 2nd. 4 way tie for suburban housing

Best job market/pay - Indy for market, KC for pay

Lowest cost of living - don't know but its easy to find out using one of those col calculators

Nightlife - You are 22, so Nashville. if you were 32 I'd have a different answer.

A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family - all of them.

Sports - they all love sports. KC has the most pro sports, they are all neck and neck for collegiate sports, except Indy.

Different food choices to try - KC followed by Nashville and Lousville.

Lowest crime rate - I don't know.
Indy has more professional sports teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Indianapolis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Kansas_City
 
Old 09-13-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,760 posts, read 2,935,979 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I don't think that's true, but it depends on how you look at the term professional. When I think professional, I think major league.

KC Major League Teams:
Royals-MLB
Chiefs-NFL
Sporting KC-MLS

Indy Major League Teams:
Colts-NFL
Pacers-NBA
Fever-WNBA

A lot of people will argue the WNBA isn't actually major league, but even if you think it is, that still means both cities have the same number of major league teams. The Indians and Indy Eleven aren't at the top their respective sports, so they don't really deserve to be part of the conversation.
 
Old 09-13-2015, 05:26 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 1,287,504 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't think that's true, but it depends on how you look at the term professional. When I think professional, I think major league.

KC Major League Teams:
Royals-MLB
Chiefs-NFL
Sporting KC-MLS

Indy Major League Teams:
Colts-NFL
Pacers-NBA
Fever-WNBA

A lot of people will argue the WNBA isn't actually major league, but even if you think it is, that still means both cities have the same number of major league teams. The Indians and Indy Eleven aren't at the top their respective sports, so they don't really deserve to be part of the conversation.
He said Kansas City had more professional sports teams not major league sports teams. Regardless of what you think, the Indianapolis Indians, Indy Fuel, Indy Eleven and the Indianapolis Impalas are still professional sports teams. If someone plays basketball in the European League are they playing professional basketball. I personally know a few people who made a very comfortable living playing basketball in leagues that by your strict definition are non-professional leagues. Sure they didn't make LeBron James money but still they made several millions of dollars over the course of a career.
 
Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Miami, Floroda
650 posts, read 541,061 times
Reputation: 350
Indianapolis by far.
 
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't think that's true, but it depends on how you look at the term professional. When I think professional, I think major league.

KC Major League Teams:
Royals-MLB
Chiefs-NFL
Sporting KC-MLS

Indy Major League Teams:
Colts-NFL
Pacers-NBA
Fever-WNBA

A lot of people will argue the WNBA isn't actually major league, but even if you think it is, that still means both cities have the same number of major league teams. The Indians and Indy Eleven aren't at the top their respective sports, so they don't really deserve to be part of the conversation.
To top it off KC doesn't have an answer for the Indy 500. (still the world's largest sporting event held every year). IMS is still the world's largest sporting facility. Arrow Head can't hold 400+ thousand. Also Indy is the only city on the list to also host the Pan American Games. The Pan Am Games were held at IMS for the opening and closing ceremonies. KC has never held a major international sporting event to the level of significance like the Pan Am Games or the Indy500. I would actually rank KC 2nd. Indy 500 hosts racing teams from other countries every year. KC is more domestic in this regard more focused on MBL and NFL.
 
Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 AM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl View Post
I'm 22 and have wife and kids. I'm looking for a city where they have a list of things that's interest me

Best shopping
Better homes
Best job market/pay
Lowest cost of living
Nightlife
A city where there's always something to do individually or as a family
Sports
Different food choices to try
Lowest crime rate

If you have more info please let me know
Shopping (chain) Indianapolis
Boutique Shopping Louisville
Better Homes (new) Nashville (older) Louisville and KC
Better Jobs tie for Nashville and Indy
Lowest Cost of Living Louisville easily
Nightlife Nashville for singles, but for married, KC and Louisville are fun
Food Louisville followed by Nashville blow out KC and Indy
Something to do...I think Louisville is the most family friendly....but all have something to do with major museums, parks, sports, malls, amusement parks, etc. I think this is a four way tie but Louisville being a bit smaller, gets the edge
Lowest Crime rate Louisville

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...d-recognitions
https://louisvilleky.gov/government/...uzz-louisville

I think Louisville wins this here since you are married, and it is affordable, with emerging, cool, artsy areas, great parks, unique museums, and family friendly cultural events every month (the most festive city listed).
Nashville is by far the best tourist and music city, it is also overrun with rapid growth, sprawl, and massive amounts of tourism which can get in the way of raising a family. Indy is just kind of a bland city. KC is great, but it sort of combines the corporate environment of Indy with some of the boutique flair, eateries, and festivity of Louisville. It is just so isolated out in the plains with no major cities within a 100 mile radius. I love Louisville is 1.5 hours to Cincy and Indy, 60 mins to Lexington, 2.5 hours to Nashville, and less than 5 hours to Chicago or Atlanta if you want big city fun (or a 10 dollar bus ride on megabits).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top