U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "Hollywood's" showcase city?
New York 12 34.29%
Los Angeles 20 57.14%
Other 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,226,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Statistically, the majority of the film and tv locations are places other than LA or New York. Atlanta, Vancouver , North carolina, Louisiana , even Romania. That documentary "LA plays itself" is great, I wish more films and tv would show all the exciting things happening in LA like the revival of downtown, all the old movie houses and incredible architecture, the cool night clubs and restaurant and hip neighborhoods and the the fascinating history of Los Angeles.

I would love to move to california if I could find the right neighborhood and I am not stuck in a car. LA is a beautiful place but you never see enough of all the exciting stuff happening now in LA on film and tv. I don't think I have ever seen a really cool recent film on silver lake or echo park or los feliz or the revival of downtown. I read LA weekly all the time and I am waiting for that cool bohemian film or tv show about contemporary LA
500 Days of Summer (2006) is pretty much a love letter to Downtown LA. There's a line where Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character says:

“There’s so much beauty here. Sure the street level isn’t much to look at, but if you look up, there’s some exciting stuff going on. If it were up to me, I’d get people to notice!”

Kind of foreshadowed the renaissance that kicked off down here not too long after the movie came out.

For Silverlake, watch Lake Bell's film In A World (2013). It focuses on the Hollywood industry but its mostly shot around Silverlake and I find it to really capture the vibe of that neighborhood. I don't know...maybe Lake Bell just strikes me as a Silverlake hipster lol

For Echo Park, there's nothing I can think of super recently that really focuses on the neighborhood, but if you go a few years back you have Quinceañera (2006) and Mi Vida Loca (1993). Quinceañera focuses quite a bit on Echo Park's transition from working-class Mexican neighborhood to hipster haven. Mi Vida Loca is about the gang life in Echo Park when the hood was a lot rougher.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 09-16-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:07 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,367,969 times
great stuff. I will check those films out. thanks

I found this a while back, its a very cool short drone videography of LA.

My buddy just started a drone photography company but he got shut down because he didnt have the right licenses from the FAA lol

https://vimeo.com/136228343

Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
What about Toronto isn't that where New York movies are filmed?

Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
I'd say they are about equal in terms of the number of shows/movies that are set in either location. If you're asking which city is "showcased" more (that's in your poll question), then I'd say NYC by far.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
You see more of L.A. in Fear the Walking Dead than you do in most shows and movies set there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxew5SguVw

Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,727,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You see more of L.A. in Fear the Walking Dead than you do in most shows and movies set there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxew5SguVw
Which is interesting, because only the pilot was filmed there--the rest was around Vancouver. They musr have stocked up on great shots, because I'm still fooled (but I'm not intimately familiar with L.A., so there's that). Although there was a reviewer, I think Grantland, that complained about gray skies.

Sidenote: Any one else think the show is finally picking up? Wow, last Sunday's episode was good! Maybe we'll get lucky and get our first meaningful death this Sunday (Griselda? Ruben Blades, perhaps?) !

Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM

366 posts, read 273,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The question asked was which city is showcased most, and the answer is LA. Sorry you don't like the answer.
What's to like about such an ignorant and ill-informed answer? Especially taking your previous posts here into consideration.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
What about Toronto isn't that where New York movies are filmed?
Suits is the only major show I can think of the top of my head. Even then I'm pretty sure things are done to fake New York, I had read something about mural painting backgrounds or something like that a while ago.

I only breezed though it, but don't see any prominent New York shows in the list apart from that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...es%29#mw-pages

Movies tend to be more in quantity, but even for that I'm pretty sure some secondary shooting would be done these days. Here's a list of films shot in Toronto:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hot_in_Toronto

Old 09-16-2015, 06:18 PM

11,785 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
What's to like about such an ignorant and ill-informed answer? Especially taking your previous posts here into consideration.
Whatever you say, Trolly McTroll.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Whatever you say, Trolly McTroll.
LOL. Your insults are worse than your posts, and that's saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or