Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM

875 posts, read 1,653,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You didn't offend me. I was just saying that it stands to reason that if Dallas is the city that overall gets way more national attention and media spotlight than Houston, then it would stand to reason that black people still do give it lots of attention along with everybody else who is giving it attention. Let's not forget that more Black people have actually been moving to Dallas than Houston, even if you are of the opinion that Houston is so much better than Dallas for Blacks.
This is true, but no matter how many blacks that move to DFW, it still wont equate to Houstons due to the foundations laid out for blacks in the area. Houston has its HBCU's that really leave a stamp on the cities culture and gives the black population a comrade that's not seen in any of the Texas metros. I know TO YOU as a transplant it may be that way, but as a native you can clearly see this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,655,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I agree. For as much as people talk about Houston and the advantages it has over DFW. There are only 80 thousand more blacks in Houston than DFW. That's a small tow difference. It's not like Atlanta which has 800,000 more than Houston which is equal to a Fort Worth.
Memphis has more blacks than Charlotte, but we all know that Charlotte has more advantages for blacks.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,347,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
My personal experience is that Dallas is more of a destination for southern blacks overall.
Dallas still has more Blacks from the Midwest and West Coast than Houston. Percentage wise, I would bet more Blacks from the South would choose Houston over DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm the only one who's said a lot of things and ended up being right.

What I mean is that, first, I believe more southern Blacks are in fact choosing Dallas over Houston to relocate. I don't have the numbers for that, but I believe they support what I'm saying. I also heard far more talk about Dallas than Houston while I was in Atlanta, which I remember saying in another thread.

Are you familiar with Dallas yourself, SouthernBoy? I honestly think you may have the wrong idea about what it's like up there.
I was in Atlanta like 2 weeks ago and was resident for 4 years. Houston was more brought up more in Atlanta.

2,992 posts, read 3,068,228 times
Since the topics of the quality of BET and people who aren't Black trying to contribute to this thread came up, you know one thing that I have always wondered? Why did BET start giving on air hosting positions to Latina women, like Rocsi, on BLACK Entertainment Television when there are plenty of attractive and qualified Black women that could fill those positions on Black TV shows? They might as hell have just gone all the way and thrown a white woman on there to host a show, since they wanted to do reverse Affirmative Action or make up quotas to fill...lol.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,347,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Memphis has more blacks than Charlotte, but we all know that Charlotte has more advantages for blacks.
Apples to oranges. Charlotte has much more to offer than Memphis. Houston doesn't have that much more to offer than Dallas.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,760,733 times
Quote:
I agree with your post except this. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas offers about the same amount of things generally.
I mean as far as entertainment (concerts, conventions, happy hours, clubs, HBCUs, special events,etc) for the average single active person between the ages of 18-55.

Shopping and restaurants are probably equal. TX definitely got more jobs. I lived in TX a while back for a year. Its definitely up and coming though.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Dallas still has more Blacks from the Midwest and West Coast than Houston. Percentage wise, I would bet more Blacks from the South would choose Houston over DFW.
Why do you think that? I want to hear your opinion.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,428,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I used to bump Screw back in the day. That UGK chopped and screwed was the shyt. I lived in TX for a year and got exposed to it. I thought it was wack at first and after about a week I was hooked. Never drunk syrup though
Brooklyn doesn't have much in the way of booty shaking. We do have things like this though.

MoCADA | The Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19ZH5owbPI

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Apples to oranges. Charlotte has much more to offer than Memphis. Houston doesn't have that much more to offer than Dallas.
True. Well, Birmingham and Memphis. Birmingham is definitely a great place for blacks; it's finally starting to take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City