U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times

Advertisements

I always thought Houston was more of Mexican and Asian city than black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 AM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I always thought Houston was more of Mexican and Asian city than black.
It's a major city on the Gulf Coast; why wouldn't you think it wouldn't have a substantial Black presence?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Asian city? On the Gulf Coast?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think home ownership should be a criterium, although I know that hurts NYC.
Yeah, but aside from that, home ownership is one of those things I don't think we can truly make a value judgment about. I mean, we can universally agree that not living in poverty is better than living in poverty. Or that access to healthcare is preferable to no access to healthcare. I'm not sure, though, that we can make the same type of judgment about owning vs renting as many people have valid reasons to do one or the other.

Quote:
Having HBCUs in the metro can be a bonus criterium.
I thought about this a bit more. While it's hard to translate the cultural impact any single institution has on a region, one thing I noticed from the data is that cities with HBCUs generally have higher Black educational attainment than cities without them (aside from cities in the Western U.S.). So maybe the HBCU effect is already built into the data in some ways.

Quote:
I wish we had a way of quantifying historical relevance.
I think that manifests itself in the data to some extent, particularly the political.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It's a major city on the Gulf Coast; why wouldn't you think it wouldn't have a substantial Black presence?
It does but it seems to have more Asians and Latinos than blacks in a lot of parts of Houston. A black mecca is more like Atlanta, DC, Philly and Detroit, I do not really care to argue about it, just my opinion.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:56 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
It does but it seems to have more Asians and Latinos than blacks in a lot of parts of Houston. A black mecca is more like Atlanta, DC, Philly and Detroit, I do not really care to argue about it, just my opinion.
Well, it's an incorrect opinion. The Asian population of Houston is nowhere close to being as large as the Black population which was only eclipsed by the Hispanic population in the 1990s.

Core county figures:
Harris Co, Texas - 25.9% Black
Fulton Co, Georgia - 44.6%
Washington, DC - 49.5%
Philadelphia Co, Pennsylvania - 43.2%
Wayne Co, Michigan - 40.5%
Cook Co, Illinois - 24.8%
Miami-Dade Co, Florida - 20.3%

I realize these numbers don't tell the whole story, but I think they demonstrate that the differences aren't as drastic as people try to make them out to be, especially when you factor in the varying sizes of these counties. You can clearly see that the smaller counties have the largest percentages of Black people.

All things considered, Houston is still a very Black city.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This would presumably go into the "sociocultural" category, correct? Would you compare only individual schools that were 40-50% Black or greater? Would you compare entire school districts, and if so, how would you account for enormous size disparities among them (Lower Merion School District vs Prince George's County Public Schools System)? Then what would be the metrics for comparing one school in a different state to another?

What about the political? And how would you weigh the three main categories relative to each other? For example...

Economic (35%)
Political (35%)
Sociocultural (30%)
This sounds about and with the schools, I guess you can look at individual schools and base them upon national and state info. For instance, I believe the latest national graduation rate info.(2013) is 81% and it has been usually in the high 70's in recent years. If you noticed the high schools I posted, all of them had a Black grad rate in at least the mid 80's into the 90's. So, I guess we could start with high schools and go from there.

As for percentage, I was thinking pluralistically more or predominately Black schools. You may have districts that aren't, but have a predominately Black middle class area. Here is an example of that: Census Tract 122502 in Suffolk County, New York

2014 | NORTH BABYLON HIGH SCHOOL - Enrollment Data | New York State Education Department Data Site
2014 | NORTH BABYLON HIGH SCHOOL - Graduation Rate | New York State Education Department Data Site

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-08-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, it's an incorrect opinion. The Asian population of Houston is nowhere close to being as large as the Black population which was only eclipsed by the Hispanic population in the 1990s.

Core county figures:
Washington, DC - 49.5%

I realize these numbers don't tell the whole story, but I think they demonstrate that the differences aren't as drastic as people try to make them out to be, especially when you consider the fact that Harris County is humongous compared to the others.

It is but not as much as the other cities mentioned

Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
It is but not as much as the other cities mentioned
Yes, but they're a lot closer than you suggested. That's my point.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Core county figures:
Washington, DC - 49.5%
Miami-Dade Co, Florida - 20.3%

I realize these numbers don't tell the whole story, but I think they demonstrate that the differences aren't as drastic as people try to make them out to be, especially when you factor in the varying sizes of these counties. You can clearly see that the smaller counties have the largest percentages of Black people.

It makes a drastic difference in terms of politics. Cook County may be only 25% Black but Chicago is about a third Black. So Blacks exercise more political power there than they do in Houston. Same thing with Detroit. That makes a big difference as far as who city contracts get doled out to, who gets appointed to run the police department, the school districts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or