U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,581,474 times
Reputation: 3350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Those are numbers for "Black or African American Alone Or In Combination With One Or More Races."
I know that much. Some lists were still off for the metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 AM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,581,474 times
Reputation: 3350
This past weekend on Facebook, I had seen 2 different scenarios in which ATLiens were praising Houston.

One guy from my hometown who lives in Atlanta was here for the weekend, and he was saying how he loves Houston and wants to get away from Atlanta.

A girl posted a status saying that she wants to move to Houston; some more people from Atlanta responded saying that they want to move here too. One girl even posted that she had just come back from Houston and wanted to stay.

I just wanted to share this to add value to the notion that Atlanta and Houston are being talked about in the same sentences. I thought those two instances were in alignment with the Atlanta and Houston similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,224 posts, read 5,584,607 times
Reputation: 3801
I think it depends on where one wants to be. I know Dallas and Houston are seeing a lot of Black professionals from the Midwest. I wouldnt cry if I had to move to either of those cities.

I love DC and NYC but if the average house is over 5 times the average income or if people are spending over a third of their income on rent, that isn't a good place for anyone regardless of race.

Black people have different values depending on where they grew up, religion, social status, sexual orientation or political persuasion. Different places for different people. There is no one shoe fits all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM
 
27,769 posts, read 24,803,389 times
Reputation: 16485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This past weekend on Facebook, I had seen 2 different scenarios in which ATLiens were praising Houston.

One guy from my hometown who lives in Atlanta was here for the weekend, and he was saying how he loves Houston and wants to get away from Atlanta.

A girl posted a status saying that she wants to move to Houston; some more people from Atlanta responded saying that they want to move here too. One girl even posted that she had just come back from Houston and wanted to stay.

I just wanted to share this to add value to the notion that Atlanta and Houston are being talked about in the same sentences. I thought those two instances were in alignment with the Atlanta and Houston similarities.
I hear folks from Atlanta say the same about Charlotte, and I hear folks from DC say the same about Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. A lot of folks from transient cities get antsy after a few years and contemplate moving to other transient cities; there's definitely a level of recycling that goes on among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,236 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hear folks from Atlanta say the same about Charlotte, and I hear folks from DC say the same about Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. A lot of folks from transient cities get antsy after a few years and contemplate moving to other transient cities; there's definitely a level of recycling that goes on among them.
Was about to say the same. I hear folks in DC wanting to move to Atlanta. I've heard people Atlanta talking about Dallas. You will hear people in Dallas and Houston talk about Atlanta. You will hear many want to move to NYC and LA. It's the nature of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,535,452 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hear folks from Atlanta say the same about Charlotte, and I hear folks from DC say the same about Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. A lot of folks from transient cities get antsy after a few years and contemplate moving to other transient cities; there's definitely a level of recycling that goes on among them.
I think he is just trying to prove a point to himself. Just like the discussion about him trying to prove to everyone that Houston is a party city like New Orleans. He just said he was in Atlanta and heard the exact same thing he saw on FB. The most I heard about Houston and Dallas recently is when we whipped them up in football. Like I said he just trying to prove a point to himself to make himself feel good. The only cities blacks in Atlanta generally talk about is LA and going to South Beach on vacation and that's it generally speaking. Don't be surprised if he say he found a cell phone and the text messages in the phone had people in Atlanta talking about Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 PM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,581,474 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hear folks from Atlanta say the same about Charlotte, and I hear folks from DC say the same about Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. A lot of folks from transient cities get antsy after a few years and contemplate moving to other transient cities; there's definitely a level of recycling that goes on among them.
Of course someone was gone speak against the statement. I just decided to post this because it was apart of the discussion a while back.

OMG. It's ok, you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 PM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,581,474 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I think he is just trying to prove a point to himself. Just like the discussion about him trying to prove to everyone that Houston is a party city like New Orleans. He just said he was in Atlanta and heard the exact same thing he saw on FB. The most I heard about Houston and Dallas recently is when we whipped them up in football. Like I said he just trying to prove a point to himself to make himself feel good. The only cities blacks in Atlanta generally talk about is LA and going to South Beach on vacation and that's it generally speaking. Don't be surprised if he say he found a cell phone and the text messages in the phone had people in Atlanta talking about Houston.
These are all lies. When have I ever said Houston is a party city like New Orleans? Get over yourself and your whack criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 AM
 
27,769 posts, read 24,803,389 times
Reputation: 16485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Of course someone was gone speak against the statement. I just decided to post this because it was apart of the discussion a while back.

OMG. It's ok, you guys.
I'm not "speaking against the statement;" I just don't see it as something so unusual or out of the ordinary. I personally know folks in Atlanta who have nothing but good things to say about Houston and at least one person I know has moved there from Atlanta. Same goes for several of the other cities that were mentioned in this thread. It's really par for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 06:38 AM
 
27,769 posts, read 24,803,389 times
Reputation: 16485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was thinking about this more some last night. I think this is right not only in the sense that these places have more entrenched political machines, but also in the sense that they've had a much longer time for their Black culture and identity to "stew and season" so to speak. They've simply been big cities for a longer time than cities like Charlotte or Dallas, and being largely devoid of Jim Crow (in the North, that is), the Black populations in these cities experienced a freedom of expression that they likely never knew in the places they came from. This is certainly the reason why more leftist parties and organizations made further inroads into the Black community in Northern cities than they did in Southern ones.
I was going through past posts in this thread and wanted to add to this. Another example of this which somewhat took me pleasantly by surprise is that on the local news in Philly, they will sometimes have health segments for issues that affect Blacks in particular and they actually frame the discussion as such. I actually don't recall seeing that in previous cities I've lived, at least not with similar frequency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top