U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 11:36 AM

4,488 posts, read 2,292,588 times

Advertisements

^ i agree, new york is the general mecca (more so than mecca itself). i think if this was a popularity contest atlanta would be the black mecca, boston would be the education mecca, dc would be the government mecca, la would be the entertainment mecca, san fran would be the technology gadgets mecca, ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM

28,204 posts, read 26,142,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From previous posts, I think he was including some cultural/entertainment factors. Either way, I think it's DC with Atlanta and NYC very close behind for the top three overall myself. But Atlanta is most often called the Black Mecca; DC is the nation's capital and NYC is so damn huge and diverse, so it's hard to consider either one a mecca for any particular group.
I was talking more or less about his recap of the thread. I didn't see anything to suggest that there was a consensus that Atlanta was "in the lead." If anything, most people seemed to remark on how far ahead DC was on so many metrics. Now one can believe that Atlanta is ahead, but I don't think saying that there's been consensus that "Atlanta is in the lead" is an accurate summary of the thread.

I've stated before that I would rank DC as 1a and Atlanta as 1b. DC has too many clear objective advantages over every other metro for me to put them in any other order.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-01-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 12:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,805,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was talking more or less about his recap of the thread. I didn't see anything to suggest that there was a consensus that Atlanta was "in the lead." If anything, most people seemed to remark on how far ahead DC was on so many metrics. Now one can believe that Atlanta is ahead, but I don't think saying that there's been consensus that "Atlanta is in the lead" is an accurate summary of the thread.

I've stated before that I would rank DC as 1a and Atlanta as 1b. DC has too many clear objective advantages over every other metro for me to put them in any other order.
But Atlanta is ahead of DC in black entertainment and media definitely.

Also black influence which also ties into media.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:09 PM

28,204 posts, read 26,142,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
But Atlanta is ahead of DC in black entertainment and media definitely.

Also black influence which also ties into media.
Entertainment, yes. Media, no.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,365,814 times
ATL, DC, and NYC are the undisputed Top 3 Black Meccas. I'm curious to know which of the three has the larger number of Black-owned/operated small businesses. DC still has a fair amount including a couple that I've fallen in love with (Sankofa Café and Children of the Sun...Both are very beautiful and chill Black-owned indie bookstores for the Afrocentric/Conscious thought and are located practically right next to each other on Georgia Ave, just a couple of blocks north of Howard), but due to the demographic changes, it feels like there aren't as many Black small businesses in The City as it used to be

Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM

641 posts, read 539,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From previous posts, I think he was including some cultural/entertainment factors. Either way, I think it's DC with Atlanta and NYC very close behind for the top three overall myself. But Atlanta is most often called the Black Mecca; DC is the nation's capital and NYC is so damn huge and diverse, so it's hard to consider either one a mecca for any particular group.
+1

Not trying to start an argument but that's exactly what I was doing. I agree, Atl, DC, NYC would be top three meccas. DC and Atl are obvious 1 and 2 and I can definitely see the argument for Atl being on top bc of the cultural/entertainment factors that were mentioned. I'm a little bias to the southern region as well

Atl takes it for me as far as a mecca. DC takes it for me as far as a utopia and it's also a mecca no doubt (cake and eating too). It's just, DC doesn't give me the same "in awe" type feeling of being submerged in black culture full of black elites and professionals like Atlanta does. Add to that, sweet auburn, the eternal flame, etc.

The whole nations capital, diversity in the core, and lack of glitz on the black side of the dmv dampens that "in awe" feeling for me. Atl seems to just have a more entrepreneurial spirit vs the govt job thing.

I do like DC more though. It's definitely more of a utopian feeling for me. Especially Bowie, MD. That place seems to be as good as it gets for a black family.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
ATL, DC, and NYC are the undisputed Top 3 Black Meccas. I'm curious to know which of the three has the larger number of Black-owned/operated small businesses. DC still has a fair amount including a couple that I've fallen in love with (Sankofa Café and Children of the Sun...Both are very beautiful and chill Black-owned indie bookstores for the Afrocentric/Conscious thought and are located practically right next to each other on Georgia Ave, just a couple of blocks north of Howard), but due to the demographic changes, it feels like there aren't as many Black small businesses in The City as it used to be
Good question. NYC definitely has the most but it's misleading b/c it's only considering raw numbers and city proper. Then it shows to be Chicago, Houston, Detroit.

I'd like to know which metro has the most raw numbers and percentage wise. Top five or top 10 if possible.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM

18,599 posts, read 26,981,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Good question. NYC definitely has the most but it's misleading b/c it's only considering raw numbers and city proper. Then it shows to be Chicago, Houston, Detroit.

I'd like to know which metro has the most raw numbers and percentage wise. Top five or top 10 if possible.
Are you asking which metro is the highest in raw numbers, percentage wise, or both at the same time?

Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 PM

18,599 posts, read 26,981,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't that whole point in calling it a "mecca"? Whether you call it a "magnet" or a "mecca," you're saying the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_mecca
I just seen this. Me personally, no. They are not the same thing. Magnets attract and they stick. Atlanta and DC are attracting Blacks and they have the culture, ambiance, and stability to remain that way more over any other place. There are other "Magnets" but none bigger than the big magnets. Mecca , by using the literal definition of the word and what surrounds that word, does not equal magnet to me. I highly doubt that the real Mecca in Saudi Arabia is used like a magnet. I might am taking the usage of the word Mecca to literal. But I still say magnet is the better word.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you asking which metro is the highest in raw numbers, percentage wise, or both at the same time?
Both at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or