Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Why do you think Houston is in the mix?
The more and more I think about it, I think it should be removed from consideration altogether. Leave the Black Mecca title for those communities still preoccupied with Afrocentrism, because those ideals seem to be dying in Houston. I dare say that it is currently the least race-obsessed city in the nation. At least that's what I gather from my personal experiences in town.

Dallas may still be interested, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The more and more I think about it, I think it should be removed from consideration altogether. Leave the Black Mecca title for those communities still preoccupied with Afrocentrism, because those ideals seem to be dying in Houston. I dare say that it is currently the least race-obsessed city in the nation. At least that's what I gather from my personal experiences in town.

I get your view; I guess it does seem kinda close minded.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 AM

37,874 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, would in terms of smaller areas, what would fit the criteria? I know that Columbia SC seems to come to mind, but what are some others? Would the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area fit? What about Charleston, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Huntsville or Shreveport?
Columbia, Greensboro, and Durham come to mind for me for smaller metros.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:41 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Right.

Quote:
Although the partners were given identical memos, those given the memo written by the African American Thomas Meyer found more errors and provided a lower overall evaluation of the memo. The African American Thomas Meyer received an overall 3.2/5.0 rating, and the Caucasian Thomas Meyer received an overall 4.1/5.0 rating. Additionally, although evaluators were not asked to edit or comment about formatting, 29 sought formatting changes from the African American associate in contrast to 11 who sought changes from the Caucasian Associate. No significant correlation was found between a partner’s race/ethnicity or gender and the patterns of errors found between the two memos, although female partners generally found more errors and provided longer comments than male partners.

These findings indicate that if partners have lower expectations for an associate, they are more likely to read the memo with a critical eye or be less likely to overlook errors. The partners who expect to find fewer errors, find fewer errors, and those who expect to find more, find more.
Does this Study Prove that Law Firm Partners are Racist?|Vault Blogs|Vault.com

Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Agree to disagree as well. Not particularly in the mood for a semantics battle this morning.
I honestly don't care what you're in the mood for. You asked me a question. I answered it. I also said to me (that means personally) magnet makes more sense than mecca. Sorry if that makes you frustrated.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I honestly don't care what you're in the mood for. You asked me a question. I answered it. I also said to me (that means personally) magnet makes more sense than mecca. Sorry if that makes you frustrated.
You responded to a post that was months old. I really don't care. If you have some other data to move the conversation forward, I'd rather see that than argue over whether this thread is appropriately named.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I get your view; I guess it does seem kinda close minded.
It would be nice if the Ivy League could get on Houston's level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuGZDKd7x4

Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
You responded to a post that was months old. I really don't care. If you have some other data to move the conversation forward, I'd rather see that than argue over whether this thread is appropriately named.
Nobody is arguing. I stated my piece. You disagreed with it. I disagreed with yours. No harm or foul in this. People agree with you on this. People agree with me on this. Don't care how old the comment was. I saw a post that used my quote and I responded.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
It would be nice if the Ivy League could get on Houston's level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuGZDKd7x4
It's seem like Yale is trying o get there.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's seem like Yale is trying o get there.
It's clearly nothing like Houston yet. Everywhere seems pretty race-conscious except for Houston. Even the uber-liberal places people think wouldn't be race-conscious.

http://static.vibe.com/uploads/2014/...-harvard11.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City