U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 12:55 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,811,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta might be "overrated" in terms of being a black mecca, but it's the only majority black city in the world to get "Alpha" status and be ranked top 50 internationally on most lists. There a sense of power that blacks have here that you can't find in Houston or Dallas. Black culture seeps into the soul of Atlanta. When I moved here from California when I was 12, I lived around mostly middle class blacks. I didn't know blacks were so economically disadvantaged around the country because I was sheltered around living in successful middle class black suburbs.

To me, there a difference between being a great place for a black American to live and being a Black Mecca where black culture permeates the air. In Black Meccas, there's a somewhat false sense that you're not a minority. Only Atlanta and D.C. to me are current day black meccas.

Houston, and especially Dallas can't be black meccas because black culture doesn't permeate the air or is the dominant culture. When you think of Atlanta, you kind of don't think about white American culture at all these days. You think of MLK, Civil Rights Movements, Hip Hop/Rap, BET Awards, etc. Kind of like how with Seattle, you think of Grunge music or Nashville with country music.

A black person can be successful anywhere in this country, but only very few places can offer black Americans a sense of identity and a cultural haven where you know your peers are also doing well...where your brothers and sisters paved the way to make a successful city.

And if you look at population stats:

Population Growth of Black and/or African American Population (Alone) from 2013 to 2014:
01. Atlanta CSA: + 59,034
02. Houston CSA: + 32,923
03. Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: + 29,318

This is Atlanta's black growth in some of it's weakest growth years in decades and this is Houston/Dallas's black growth in their strongest years in decades. Atlanta's black population growth still nearly doubles Houston and more than doubles Dallas's.

There's something about Atlanta that continues to stand out to blacks that no other city does.
I don't disagree, but whether or not any of this is a good thing depends on who you ask.

Personally, while I love my culture, I'm no longer drawn to the segregating ideals that uphold Afrocentrism (or Eurocentrism). In my experience, if there was anything that permeated the air in Atlanta, it was the incessant "anti-anyone who doesn't look like me" philosophies.

Racial integration is the future, and Houston and Dallas have a leg up on Atlanta in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:55 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For Black growth or growth in particular?

I wonder if there's a list that shows Black growth by year by metro area out there. Most tend to do it by decade.
I thought he was talking about Black growth.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM

27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Gotcha.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,593,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't disagree, but whether or not any of this is a good thing depends on who you ask.

Personally, while I love my culture, I'm no longer drawn to the segregating ideals that uphold Afrocentrism (or Eurocentrism). In my experience, if there was anything that permeated the air in Atlanta, it was the incessant "anti-anyone who doesn't look like me" philosophies.

Racial integration is the future, and Houston and Dallas have a leg up on Atlanta in this area.
Not really...if anything, racial relations are getting worse over time. People like Trump are popular. And Houston/Dallas still has a ton of racism so let's not act like they're racial utopias. There was a recent story about the black men who were denied entry to a Houston nightclub and the clock boy from Arlington, a suburb of Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Naturally, I would think if the entire metro's growth is very high, black growth proportionally would be high as well. Do you think Houston will still get high black growth now that the local economy is in the gutter?

Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM

183 posts, read 173,002 times
Quote:

I have a different point of view. Part of the issue with Black Americans today is we do not take enough pride or celebration in our heritage and we're quick to adopt the culture of others. I'm totally for Afrocentrism as it relates to Black American culture and the many accomplishments that have radically shaped American culture.

Your last sentence, what a ridiculous statement.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:18 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,593,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
I disagree. Part of the issue with Black Americans today is we do not take enough pride or celebration in our heritage and we're quick to adopt to culture of others. I'm totally for Afrocentrism as it relates to Black American culture and the many accomplishments that have radically shaped American culture.
And this is how a large portion of black Americans feels, hence why Atlanta is still the city with the highest black growth. Go on any majority black website and they'll say the same thing. In fact, there's a growing minority that feels racial integration was the worst thing to happens to blacks....I don't have an opinion, just saying what I've seen others say.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Not really...if anything, racial relations are getting worse over time. People like Trump are popular. And Houston/Dallas still has a ton of racism so let's not act like they're racial utopias. There was a recent story about the black men who were denied entry to a Houston nightclub and the clock boy from Arlington, a suburb of Dallas.

Naturally, I would think if the entire metro's growth is very high, black growth proportionally would be high as well. Do you think Houston will still get high black growth now that the local economy is in the gutter?
I'm saying I thought you were only talking about Black Growth. Also yes, I do think Houston's black population will continue it's growth.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:31 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Quote:

Quote:
I have a different point of view. Part of the issue with Black Americans today is we do not take enough pride or celebration in our heritage and we're quick to adopt the culture of others. I'm totally for Afrocentrism as it relates to Black American culture and the many accomplishments that have radically shaped American culture.

I see both sides of the argument. I enjoy diverse places more than either solidly white or solidly black segregated ones, but I also don't like when everyone's "the same" culturally. The best places imo are where people come together and you can be a black hipster with your natural hair growing, or a tattooed white hip hop head or a Latino rocker in leopard prints and no one bats an eye.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The media has a habit of conflating popular issues in order to make them seem more detrimental than they are, but the occasional conflicts notwithstanding, it is a fact that the "races" and cultures are integrating more than ever.

It's argued that those two gentlemen were denied entry because they were poorly dressed and had no female acquaintances, and it was never proven that the color of their skin was the reason. All beside the point anyway, since I never said Texas was a utopia of any sort. I'm saying the cities were more diverse and more integrated than Atlanta. This is true.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Is it ridiculous because you are able to negate it or simply because you take umbrage at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or