U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-24-2015, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Reputation: 2581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Truely looking forward to this. It's about time our nation creates more monuments in recognition of the rich culture and heritage within it's Black American community. I hope the musuem spurs a renaissance of Afrocentrism and black pride.
+2

Amun to that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Truely looking forward to this. It's about time our nation creates more monuments in recognition of the rich culture and heritage within it's Black American community. I hope the musuem spurs a renaissance of Afrocentrism and black pride.
This museum will no doubt receive many non-Black visitors from around the world who are just as if not more interested in Black American heritage than most of our own folks are.

The most sound purpose this museum can serve is to educate; not inspire any sort of superficial "renaissance" (which has already been done, remember?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:46 AM
 
52,627 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
This museum will no doubt receive many non-Black visitors from around the world who are just as if not more interested in Black American heritage than most of our own folks are.

The most sound purpose this museum can serve is to educate; not inspire any sort of superficial "renaissance" (which has already been done, remember?)
Which could be done again, as it was planned and was to show that said people could create their own cultural scene in spite of the general social climate towards them. So, this facility could educate and inspire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
183 posts, read 172,885 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which could be done again, as it was planned and was to show that said people could create their own cultural scene in spite of the general social climate towards them. So, this facility could educate and inspire.
Well stated.

Education and inspiration go hand in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
This museum will no doubt receive many non-Black visitors from around the world who are just as if not more interested in Black American heritage than most of our own folks are.

The most sound purpose this museum can serve is to educate; not inspire any sort of superficial "renaissance" (which has already been done, remember?)
No, I do not remember any sort of "superficial renaissance". Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 06:23 AM
 
52,627 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627
I also would like to see more cities/areas and states have similar museums or honor landmarks, people or events that could have the same effect as this museum in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Well stated.

Education and inspiration go hand in hand.



No, I do not remember any sort of "superficial renaissance". Care to elaborate?
The Neo Black Power movement of the late 80s and 90s; largely incorporating anti-white sentiments and the spread of myths and unsupported events as legitimate history.

My point remains that it is perfectly fine to celebrate our unique culture, but pride based on skin tone is stupid. Because what most of us conveniently ignore is that our sub-Saharan African blood only makes up a part of who we are. We are, in fact, a multiracial people with a multicultural heritage.

Africans don't even really see us as one of them. They're quick to point out that we are just Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 AM
 
27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Reputation: 16460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
My point remains that it is perfectly fine to celebrate our unique culture, but pride based on skin tone is stupid. Because what most of us conveniently ignore is that our sub-Saharan African blood only makes up a part of who we are. We are, in fact, a multiracial people with a multicultural heritage.
That pride is based on culture and history which just so happens to coincide with skin tone based on the social status that was assigned to us when our ancestors hit these shores. And practically every cultural hallmark that characterizes and defines us has been profoundly shaped by our African roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 10:15 AM
 
52,627 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That pride is based on culture and history which just so happens to coincide with skin tone based on the social status that was assigned to us when our ancestors hit these shores. And practically every cultural hallmark that characterizes and defines us has been profoundly shaped by our African roots.
^This and this clears up the DNA aspect in regard to Black Americans: BlackDemographics.com | African American DNA

More info: BlackDemographics.com | Black Owned Businesses Statistics

BlackDemographics.com | POPULATION

BlackDemographics.com | HOUSEHOLDS

BlackDemographics.com | EDUCATION

BlackDemographics.com | Black Demographics News

Shout out to Mr. DeShay for this website. BlackDemographics.com | CONTACT ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That pride is based on culture and history which just so happens to coincide with skin tone based on the social status that was assigned to us when our ancestors hit these shores.
Except we are NOT the same people as those Africans that first arrived here. We are only descended from them, just as we are also descended from Europeans and Amerindians/Asians.

If skin color is truly relevant, does this mean that the amount of pride one should have be based on how dark they are? Is Mariah Carey allowed to be Afrocentric?

Quote:
And practically every cultural hallmark that characterizes and defines us has been profoundly shaped by our African roots.
So what sound purpose does it serve to define yourself by only part of who you are instead of your entire composition? Maybe it was a necessary tool for self esteem in the past, but can we honestly say that it will benefit us or our children in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Reputation: 4289
Today is the first day of Kwanzaa. Who here as elected to recognize this day in lieu of or in addition to Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top