U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,708,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Lets turn it around, what is the hottest club for Asians or Hispanics in ATL? That caters to Asian or Hispanic professionals?I could not name you one in LA, because there is none. It wouldn't be any different for AA's. That the point your missing. LA caters to Professionals, black/white/asian/hispanic people in the entertainment industry, lawyers, doctors, etc... of all races go to the same spots. We don't need to cater to exclusive anybody.

But if your asking me what the hottest club is, truthfully I don't club so I couldn't tell you. I know the names of the clubs, don't know who hangs out there. Can't stand it. But if you want to know the black comedy clubs, restaurants, art galleries...etc than that would be a different story.
So saying something like, LA doesn't cater to Blacks at all even though we get 20,000 people for Taste of Soul and BET experience, and some of the biggest Hip Hop festivels and acts, and clothing collectives, blah blah blah is really misguided. Especially if you want to keep bringing up clubs like it is as part of the life in LA as it is in ATL. Its just a different mentality different culture.
Im tired of going back and forth. I will check out the scene out there again soon!

IDK....I live in the city. Most of the Asians live in Gwinnett County and GC has several spots but I don't live driving to the suburbs to party. I strictly mainly go to and keep up on the 30+ professional live music/soul/old school hip hop scene. It's too many scenes to keep up with so I just stick to that scene. Plus I live near Edgewood Ave where there are plenty of spots so outside of that I'm out of the loop.

I normally go to this site though to keep up with other shyt going on

NIGHTLIFE | Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,708,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So no Black-owned coffee shops?

Which meccas?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,312,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Im tired of going back and forth. I will check out the scene out there again soon!

IDK....I live in the city. Most of the Asians live in Gwinnett County and GC has several spots but I don't live driving to the suburbs to party. I strictly mainly go to and keep up on the 30+ professional live music/soul/old school hip hop scene. It's too many scenes to keep up with so I just stick to that scene. Plus I live near Edgewood Ave where there are plenty of spots so outside of that I'm out of the loop.

I normally go to this site though to keep up with other shyt going on

NIGHTLIFE | Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment
Cool. Love the ATL scene. Especially Edgewood. Was just out there 3 weeks ago.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Which meccas?
Any of them.

Cities all over America are seeing an explosion of amenities. It's just that professional Black people generally don't live around any of them.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 AM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Not to change the thread, but are there any other "Magnet" cities/areas that kind of fly under the radar or that people don't think of? I'm not asking necessarily in terms of major cities/areas, but even in regards to mid sized or smaller areas as well.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:47 AM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
They are right though.
It's not opinion, it's fact.
Houston had long been a black stronghold, but not as Strong as ATL, DC or even Detroit, Philly or Chicago.

It attracts a lot of blacks, but also a lot of Asians and more Latinos than blacks.

Houston is an everybody Mecca. I think that in terms of attracting new blacks Houston would be above most large cities but still below ATL and DC and probably new york, and Miami, and even DFW.

Great place for BLacks, but I wouldn't say it is as clear cut as DC and ATL. What I would say is that Houstons black culture is disproportionately larger than its share of the population. It is so much so that I would place it on the level of more historically black cities like Chicago, Philly and Detroit, but below ATL and DC. I would also place it on a higher level than DFW for the same reason. Both have similar black populations but Houston has a stronger black culture and identity
It would be behind Atlanta and DC but not to far behind NY and I would put it above Miami. DFW is about the same.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 AM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to change the thread, but are there any other "Magnet" cities/areas that kind of fly under the radar or that people don't think of? I'm not asking necessarily in terms of major cities/areas, but even in regards to mid sized or smaller areas as well.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a magnet, but I found it interesting that Columbia, SC has the largest degreed Black population of metros under 1 million (and larger than some 1 million+ metros) according to data BajanYankee provided. I believe from 1990-2000, it ranked 10th in domestic migration for African Americans.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except it's really not an opinion; there are objective facts here to consider that you'd rather dismiss under the guise of opinion. It just doesn't work like that.
It's your opinion that it's not an opinion.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 AM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it a magnet, but I found it interesting that Columbia, SC has the largest degreed Black population of metros under 1 million (and larger than some 1 million+ metros) according to data BajanYankee provided. I believe from 1990-2000, it ranked 10th in domestic migration for African Americans.
Man, you must have read my mind, because it was the first area that I thought of. Having Allen, Benedict and the Univ. of South Carolina in the area probably has a lot to do with the degrees Black population. I didn't know that about the migration though.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It's your opinion that it's not an opinion.
How old are you dude, like really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or