U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,172,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm surprised to hear about so many interracial relationships in cali. I was under the impression that Blacks and Hispanics out there HATED each other and that Asians hated both.

I was honestly expecting that type of tension would make Cali blacks "more black" so to speak.
well you would be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:01 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
well you would be wrong.
Not saying it's true. Just saying what the perception is. The perception is that there is a ton of tension between Cali Blacks and Cali Mexicans due to gang related conflict.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM

18,249 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Blacks in DC and Atlanta are being pushed out as well. Gentrification is the cause of all of this. Metro DC's black percentage has been decreasing, while Houston's has been increasing.

Now that I think about it, I do understand where you are coming from about us being pushed out, but sadly, that's happening almost everywhere. Hopefully, now that Houston has a black mayor, such things won't happen at a large scale. Parts of Third Ward near Grooves and north of Wheeler can stand a makeover though but with us included, BTW.
Where are the facts on this? The city's black percentage is decreasing which isn't as different as every other city including Houston. The metro is a different story. Houston metro will likely never have the percentage of Black population that DC has as Houston has a much larger and faster growing Hispanic population.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM

12,205 posts, read 17,592,953 times
Quote:
Not saying it's true. Just saying what the perception is. The perception is that there is a ton of tension between Cali Blacks and Cali Mexicans due to gang related conflict.
Wasn't this back in the 90's?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM

2,893 posts, read 4,214,509 times
Quote:
Exactly. There is an insane amount of overt racism within the Hispanic gang culture in California. That attitude most certainly pervades the entire Hispanic community. Whether out of blind loyalty or fear.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM

18,249 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
There isa reason why blacks are leaving California.

The strong sense of black pride and community that once existed in California is quickly dying.

Houston is headed that way too. If it gets anymore ignorant, I'm heading east. Possibly DMV area.

I don't want to live in a place where my blackness is ignored or put on the backburner.
The grass isn't always greener.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:12 AM

27,802 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Blacks in DC and Atlanta are being pushed out as well. Gentrification is the cause of all of this. Metro DC's black percentage has been decreasing, while Houston's has been increasing.

Now that I think about it, I do understand where you are coming from about us being pushed out, but sadly, that's happening almost everywhere. Hopefully, now that Houston has a black mayor, such things won't happen at a large scale. Parts of Third Ward near Grooves and north of Wheeler can stand a makeover though but with us included, BTW.
Well having a Black mayor won't prevent gentrification from pushing Blacks out; as you just noted, the same has been happening in DC and Atlanta which have had nothing but Black mayors for 40 years or so now. What will probably help Houston more than anything here is the ginormous city limits.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
What do you mean?

I mean that me living in ATL and me living in LA had no bearing on how "black" I am. Only difference was that I was obviously around black people almost exclusively where as in LA there was much more of a mix of people.

I'm so confused. Maybe I should move from my majority black city in New Orleans currently and move to ATL where there are "real" black people who know their place. They can take care of me and I can come out blacker than ever!

Last edited by jamills21; 01-15-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 AM

2,893 posts, read 4,214,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I mean that me living in ATL and me living in LA had no bearing on how "black" I am. Only difference was that I was obviously around black people almost exclusively where as in LA there was much more of a mix of people. then proceed to not do it.

I'm so confused. Maybe I should moving from my majority black city in New Orleans currently and move to ATL where there are "real" black people who know their place. They can take of me and I can come out blacker than ever!
I don't get your "know their place" comment. Could you explain?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I don't get your "know their place" comment. Could you explain?
You know..They know what it takes to be a real black person. They got everything down. We CA blacks are struggling we have no black culture. We don't make our own music or art. We have no prosperous communities to call too. I've only known white culture and am damaged from it. What is even soul food?

No but seriously. Y'all are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or