U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 AM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well having a Black mayor won't prevent gentrification from pushing Blacks out; as you just noted, the same has been happening in DC and Atlanta which have had nothing but Black mayors for 40 years or so now. What will probably help Houston more than anything here is the ginormous city limits.
Yeah, I'd thought about that after I posted it. There have been recent procedures put into place to keep developments from pushing blacks out here. Now that development is creeping into Third Ward, blacks are not having it!

Also, like you said, Houston's city limits are helping it. The gentrification is taking place mostly inside 610, which is like 90 square miles. Most of the city limit's blacks live outside of 610 in areas such as Acres Homes, Sunnyside, etc.; these areas are a long way from being gentrified.

Aside from gentrification, I think blacks are moving to suburbs in general, seeking better schools and safer neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:49 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Aside from gentrification, I think blacks are moving to suburbs in general, seeking better schools and safer neighborhoods.
Yep, and that includes Black transplants in a lot of metros; they head straight to the suburbs. That's certainly the case for Atlanta and DC. Less so for cities with big city limits like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, etc.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM

135 posts, read 100,759 times
Quote:
Blacks in DC and Atlanta are being pushed out as well. Gentrification is the cause of all of this. Metro DC's black percentage has been decreasing, while Houston's has been increasing.

You realize that this statement is completely inaccurate right??? Metro DC's black population is still growing and will continue to grow. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. DC is and will continue to be a Black Mecca. Even the city itself is gaining Black people just not as fast as Whites and Hispanics. But they had very small populations to begin with so it's not as noticeable as you might think.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...on-region.html

Forbes Welcome

Black flight to the suburbs on the rise | Brookings Institution

https://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/ED....aspx?id=45952

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...nsus_race_frey

Last edited by Truth2power202; 01-15-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Blacks in California are so damaged, psychologically, it's really sad.

They may appear black,but they don't seem to know they're black.

I would not recommend any black live in CA outside the bay area if you're a socially conscious black or believe in black pride.
I agree 1000% I would comment but i will get banned so i will just shut up

Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
LOL....smh. Someone please teach me how to be black. I'm damaged. I need to know, graduating from Morehouse wasn't enough.

You can literally have some of the most successful black communities in the USA--including the wealthiest AA community in the whole USA--some of the most professional blacks outside NYC/DC/ATL. Contribute in business, arts, entertainment, education, etc. yet, still hate.

More successful blacks than Houston, Dallas, Philly, Etc. LOL.

"damaged" is how we treat each other in our own community.

Last edited by jamills21; 01-15-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
You realize that this statement is completely inaccurate right??? Metro DC's black population is still growing and will continue to grow. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. DC is and will continue to be a Black Mecca. Even the city itself is gaining Black people just not as fast as Whites and Hispanics. But they had very small populations to begin with so it's not as noticeable as you might think.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...on-region.html

Forbes Welcome

Black flight to the suburbs on the rise | Brookings Institution

https://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/ED....aspx?id=45952
I didn't say population. I said PERCENTAGE. The percentage can decrease while the actual population increases.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:21 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, and that includes Black transplants in a lot of metros; they head straight to the suburbs. That's certainly the case for Atlanta and DC. Less so for cities with big city limits like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, etc.
True but let's look at it like this. The inner loop is basically the "city" part of Houston. It's basically the most urban more cohesive part of the city where most of the action of the metro is. This part of Houston is either losing Blacks or not gaining blacks like you will get in the suburbs or outside the loop. So in essence, the part of Houston that is most city like isn't much different from DC, Chicago, San Francisco, and even Atlanta and their small city limits.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 AM

135 posts, read 100,759 times
Quote:
I didn't say population. I said PERCENTAGE. The percentage can decrease while the actual population increases.

The percentage of the Black population in the DC area has increased. The percentage in the city proper has decreased. I understand what you're saying and I'm telling you that based on the data you're incorrect.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
True but let's look at it like this. The inner loop is basically the "city" part of Houston. It's basically the most urban more cohesive part of the city where most of the action of the metro is. This part of Houston is either losing Blacks or not gaining blacks like you will get in the suburbs or outside the loop. So in essence, the part of Houston that is most city like isn't much different from DC, Chicago, San Francisco, and even Atlanta and their small city limits.
I gotcha.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
The percentage of the Black population in the DC area has increased. The percentage in the city proper has decreased. I understand what you're saying and I'm telling you that based on the data you're incorrect.
Guess I was looking at wrong data then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or