U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 AM

3,965 posts, read 1,938,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That isn't what people are saying.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nobody is saying it's a mostly Black city. Where are you getting that from?
sorry . i shouldve said black mecca. its good for black people but i dont see it as atlanta.

repped for correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:18 AM

27,729 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Man, you must have read my mind, because it was the first area that I thought of. Having Allen, Benedict and the Univ. of South Carolina in the area probably has a lot to do with the degrees Black population. I didn't know that about the migration though.
Correction: It ranked 10th from 1975-80 and 1995-2000. http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...40524_frey.pdf (page 5)

Also, you have SC State and Claflin in Columbia's CSA, 40 minutes or so down the road in Orangeburg and Morris College in Sumter, 30 minutes to the east.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
LOL. I like giving Mutiny77 a hard time.

I would place Houston in tier 1b because it has the strong black identity and the strong black infrastructure to be placed with Atlanta and DC, but it is too diverse to be solely considered a black mecca like Atlanta (even though Houston is a black mecca to a huge degree). Although Houston and DFW have similar black population, I would place Houston above DFW without a blink.

One great thing that is unique about Houston is that its black culture is so much stronger compared to the black population. Despite it being in the 1 million club, you would think Houston has way more blacks than what the population suggests. There's no where in the metro where you won't see any blacks; blacks are distributed well across the metro. Even blacks from DFW say that Houston is more black friendly and has "hella" blacks.

Also, blacks are really starting to talk about Houston like that are or have been talking about Atlanta. I would place Houston about the northern/Midwestern black metros because blacks from those areas are leaving for areas like Houston, Atlanta, DFW, and other southern metros.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM

27,729 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LOL. I like giving Mutiny77 a hard time.

I would place Houston in tier 1b because it has the strong black identity and the strong black infrastructure to be placed with Atlanta and DC, but it is too diverse to be solely considered a black mecca like Atlanta (even though Houston is a black mecca to a huge degree). Although Houston and DFW have similar black population, I would place Houston above DFW without a blink.

One great thing that is unique about Houston is that its black culture is so much stronger compared to the black population. Despite it being in the 1 million club, you would think Houston has way more blacks than what the population suggests. There's no where in the metro where you won't see any blacks; blacks are distributed well across the metro. Even blacks from DFW say that Houston is more black friendly and has "hella" blacks.

Also, blacks are really starting to talk about Houston like that are or have been talking about Atlanta. I would place Houston about the northern/Midwestern black metros because blacks from those areas are leaving for areas like Houston, Atlanta, DFW, and other southern metros.
I'm glad you're at least supporting your assertion with some more objective stuff here.

Houston has a strong Black infrastructure in place, but not sure about the identity part--at least not more than Atlanta and DC, the self-proclaimed "Chocolate City." Atlanta and DC have long been majority Black (although DC has a Black plurality now and Atlanta's Black population is also on the decline); has Houston ever been?

Although it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I think BajanYankee's tiering is more or less accurate and he puts Houston in tier 2a. He also puts Dallas in that tier, but I've seen Dallas-based sources that admit that Houston's Black population/culture is more prominent so I'd agree with you in ranking Dallas below Houston: http://www.city-data.com/forum/39807414-post156.html

Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm glad you're at least supporting your assertion with some more objective stuff here.

Houston has a strong Black infrastructure in place, but not sure about the identity part--at least not more than Atlanta and DC, the self-proclaimed "Chocolate City." Atlanta and DC have long been majority Black (although DC has a Black plurality now and Atlanta's Black population is also on the decline); has Houston ever been?

Although it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I think BajanYankee's tiering is more or less accurate and he puts Houston in tier 2a. He also puts Dallas in that tier, but I've seen Dallas-based sources that admit that Houston's Black population/culture is more prominent so I'd agree with you in ranking Dallas below Houston: http://www.city-data.com/forum/39807414-post156.html
No, Houston's black population isn't declining in the city.

The identity is there. For Houston to have a larger Hispanic population than its black population, the black population here has more power and influences Houston's culture more. If Houston's Hispanic population was half of what it is, Houston would definitely be with ATL and DC, but even with a large Hispanic population, Houston definitely give the two a run for their money.

DFW seems very white; most of the blacks are congregated in the south side. In Houston, blacks are all over, giving the illusion that Houston has way more blacks than what the population suggests. Houston is pretty much the black Mecca of Texas if you will.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:07 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,531,523 times
Quote:
No, Houston's black population isn't declining in the city.

The identity is there. For Houston to have a larger Hispanic population than its black population, the black population here has more power and influences Houston's culture more. If Houston's Hispanic population was half of what it is, Houston would definitely be with ATL and DC, but even with a large Hispanic population, Houston definitely give the two a run for their money.

DFW seems very white; most of the blacks are congregated in the south side. In Houston, blacks are all over, giving the illusion that Houston has way more blacks than what the population suggests. Houston is pretty much the black Mecca of Texas if you will.

So Houston is better than Dallas and Austin for blacks?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
So Houston is better than Dallas and Austin for blacks?
You're trynna come for me. Yes it is.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Bajan's ranking is trash

Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,531,523 times
Quote:
You're trynna come for me. Yes it is.
No Im not.

I cant get a real answer because people from Dallas say Dallas is better and people from Houston say Houston is better

Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
No Im not.

I cant get a real answer because people from Dallas say Dallas is better and people from Houston say Houston is better
Sorry about that.

Blacks from DFW would tell you that Houston is blacker and is more black friendly. There's no denying that. All of the blacks from DFW that I know say that Houston is better for blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or